• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen A Zoo?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Zoo's aren't all cages. I've been to open air Zoos where animals are kept in habitats. The Habitats themselves are dug x amount of feet into the ground and surrounded by a deeper moat to keep the animals from getting to the visitors, but there is only a railing to look over and nothing else separating human and animal.
I am aware of that too; heck, I once tried some Zoo Tycoon game where I had to create these types of habitats (I don't think it has cages). My point is that zoos don't allow their exhibits to be taken home to serve a visitor in whatever they are doing halfway around the world.

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I am aware of that too; heck, I once tried some Zoo Tycoon game where I had to create these types of habitats (I don't think it has cages). My point is that zoos don't allow their exhibits to be taken home to serve a visitor in whatever they are doing halfway around the world.

Cyclone

Neither do Safari Preserves in that regard. Which would mean Safari Zones are neither Zoo nor Preserves.

In B2W2 you even get to go to an actual Nature Preserve and...capture everything you see to your heart's desire which goes against roughly all ethics Nature Preserves have.

My Point, its a name. They already don't follow what the real world counterparts do. Gen 1 Safari Zone was a Zoo which they fine tuned over the years.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
A zoo would be nice. Maybe we could be given an egg from one of the exibits (all fully or second stage mons) to take home with us.

So long as its a Random egg like in Crystal or we get to choose which egg we want, I'd be happy with that. XD

Not like they have to make the Zoo a safari area. It can just be for looks to show off the 3D Pokemon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The zoo could just be somewhere in the city, and not even Safari-like. It could also give us extra facts on mons we've NEVER KNOWN BEFORE.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't think a zoo would help people's opinions that humans are trapping Pokemon just for enjoyment. They've done it in the past, like in FRLG but I just don't feel like it's anything that they would really do in the future. I always kind of thought as the Safari Zone as a zoo anyway, since anyone can walk through it and see nonnative Pokemon.

Plus what would the purpose of a zoo be? If it was to catch Pokemon, it's basically just a caged Safari Zone anyway.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I always thought the Safari Zone was mostly a preserve. I mean I guess they're the same thing.

Still, just because some of the NPCs in a game may or may not have caged a Pokemon doesn't necessarily make it right. It sounds like good ol' fashioned human greed at worst, sticking their nose into business where it doesn't belong at best to me. :\

Don't get me wrong, I understand what value a zoo can have as an educational resource, but at the same time, real life animals are at most only sentient. I may not feel great about the whole thing, but for the most part, animals that are in legitimate zoos are usually there for their protection. Maybe they didn't function well in the wild, they were abandoned, or they were sick. I can buy into that, but as I said in another topic, I sometimes feel that humans feel like they have to intervene when in fact nature marches on. It's based on human bias and the need to anthropomorphize everything because honestly, what other point of view do we have?

Again, it just becomes really really grey in terms of Pokemon. If a zoo was opened, a legitimate zoo, you'd still have to ask yourself if the Pokemon in question really asked to stay there, or if you forced it there against its will. But would we even bother to ask the Pokemon? In universe, we can't understand them easily, but they seem to understand us. A Pikachu could be shouting "Pikas" in protest all day long, but I feel like we'd instantly go into patronize mode and just say "awww, Pikachu is just being cranky". Why? Because it seems as if we still see them as nothing higher than animals. Or rather, because they arent human. Frankly, we'd do the same thing to aliens if they came to our planet, probably put them on display for our entertainment, too.

Conversely, some Pokemon would enjoy the free ride and companionship that a perserve may provide, which is why so many of them clearly don't mind traveling alongside humans on their quest to be whatever. In fact, they may have the same goals, and figured you'd be a good partner to help them get there. I can easily imagine a Charmander who wants to become big and strong because he was a runt in his family. You'd also have the case of some Pokemon wanting to work as well. Maybe they like the idea of having a reserve that exists for the temporary housing of Pokemon while they recover. Chansey'd be all over that.

It's actually kind of funny, because despite being a different continuity, Ash more often than not, at least in the old episodes (seeing as I haven't kept up with the series) asked the Pokemon if traveling with him sounded good to them before catching them. I know we don't get that option in a video game, but in real life, I'd feel like it might make the relationship a lot less terse between Pokemon and trainer from the onset. If a Pokemon wishes to become stronger, I'm sure it'll let you know.

There needs to be a topic on this somewhere on the forum. I'd have so much fun. :D Sorry again for the topic derailment.

Jason Wolf

The Chronicler
Years
There is a zoo in fuchsia in front of the safari zone for all of you who said it was the safari zone. This ideas is probably one of the best if done the same as the gen one zoo. 6-10 pokemon from other regions that can't be caught until after or never in the games.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Another problem comes to mind with a zoo. We will as of Gen. VI likely have over 750, close to 800 Pokémon. If this sounds unusual, remember Gen. I has 151, II has 100 exactly, III has 135, IV has 107, and V has 156 totaling 649; just another 100 gives us exactly 749, but I don't expect 150 this time around.

So what's my problem I reference? Some people import Pokémon from other games to complete their dex and for breeding purposes. Having a Zoo tick off Pokémon from the Dex will complicate this purpose as a breeder may suddenly realize there is no Happiny/Chansey/Blissey in his or her PC, for instance.

Cyclone

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
As I mentioned before, a zoo like in Koolboyman's Pokémon Prism would be nice. FOr those of you who haven't played it (you should) if works like this:

It looks like the Fuchsia City zoo and National Park combined. There a many exhibits with multiple Pokémon. There are also zoo keepers that ask for your help to get some Pokémon for the exhibits. So you give them the Pokémon and then they give you a reward.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
I like the idea but how about this: it is setup like fuchsia cities, except you don't catch them you read the sign and get their info for the pokedex.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I like the idea but how about this: it is setup like fuchsia cities, except you don't catch them you read the sign and get their info for the pokedex.
This is what I suggested as well for a possible format. Thinking further, this would register it in the Pokédex but not show it as owned (leaving you to import one for ownership purposes), meaning you can reveal the entire Pokédex through expanding new exhibits over the course of the story or in the post-game.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
This is what I suggested as well for a possible format. Thinking further, this would register it in the Pokédex but not show it as owned (leaving you to import one for ownership purposes), meaning you can reveal the entire Pokédex through expanding new exhibits over the course of the story or in the post-game.

Cyclone

That'd be an awesome feature for zoos to have. Actually maybe it could be something post-game, in regards to the pokedex entries, otherwise we just see Pokemon out on display. Because really, finding over 700 Pokemon post-game isn't the easiest task.

jov0006

Beygimon! Gotta let it rip!
Years
I agree with the fill pokedex as story progresses suggestion. I mean we WILL have over 700 pokemon to catch. A zoo could help us see them all much quicker, and i wouldnt be surprised if the regional dex for x and y is at least 300 pokes. Knowing pokemon, they'll want us trade with each other to get every pokemon so a zoo could be great for uncatchable pokemon in gen 5-6.

Victini

So long as its a Random egg like in Crystal or we get to choose which egg we want, I'd be happy with that. XD

Not like they have to make the Zoo a safari area. It can just be for looks to show off the 3D Pokemon.

This random egg better have a 1 in 2 chance of a shiny like the one in Crystal, then. >w>;
And tons of Pokemon that it can contain, like the selection of baby Pokemon we had a chance of getting.

I also like that latter idea. A show off of rare Pokemon in 3D sounds like a nice way to display the new feature.~
We haven't had a zoo type of deal in a long time. It would be really fun to see again!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I agree with the fill pokedex as story progresses suggestion. I mean we WILL have over 700 pokemon to catch. A zoo could help us see them all much quicker, and i wouldnt be surprised if the regional dex for x and y is at least 300 pokes. Knowing pokemon, they'll want us trade with each other to get every pokemon so a zoo could be great for uncatchable pokemon in gen 5-6.
Why do you think this? I figure they'll add 100 new Pokémon to the mix, and yes, there will be older ones in the regional Dex. However, I can't see them putting another 200 in there. 300 is possible if they add at least half that in new entries. They could also pull an Unova and make the regional Dex only new ones at first again.

Cyclone

Back