• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cyberpunk-esque RP

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
I've been playing/watching/etc a lot of different things that have given me an idea for an RP. I have a basic premise for an RP based off the likes of Psycho Pass and Mirror's Edge and Watch Dogs primarily, with additional elements from other games like the Deus Ex series and shows like Ghost in the Shell.

Essentially the story is as follows....

War and other disasters plague the planet, world governments fail and collapse. A conglomerate of corporations arise in their place, succeeding to bring unity, order, and security where the governments failed. Over time, the corporations more or less meld into one giant, faceless entity that essentially runs the new world. Underground(metaphorically) a group of vigilantes exist, opposing this rule. You as a player are part of this group and the story follows the exploits of this group to oppose the rule of the conglomerate who is using advance technology to monitor everything in society to give the appearance of utopia.

Spoiler:

I'm envisioning something a bit more close knit and intimate between like 5-6 people, but if the desire is there the RP can be opened up to be more sand-boxy with different tasks and objectives for players to do as they want and certain story arcs and required things that drive the story forward.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, lemme know.

Years
I think you've got the beginnings of something good here, but you could do with some refining. For example, what methods are the government (that's basically what it is) employing that make it so evil (in the eyes of the Runners, or objectively)? Is it just the surveillance? Why do they have the caste system? How do you end up in a specific caste?

Think about that sort of thing.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Especially after listing all those sources of inspiration, I definitely get the impression that this is a lighter medley of other existing stories rather than the presentation of something bigger or original. The general vagueness concerning the universe and its proceedings—the same which GP's questions target—mainly contributes to this. As of right now, I recommend you consider themes, motifs, and general ideas properties like Psycho-Pass and Watch Dogs, in your mind, left unexplored; go from that point.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Yeah I have stronger ideas, but I didn't want to push out too much without their being significant interest. I more or less have a whole story, setting and other plot elements explained. When I get some time on my computer I'll post them.

Back