• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you Like/Hate in Video games

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
I generally despise games that force me to undergo tutorial sessions, especially in the beginning. Accumulative times of having to go through such processes can leave me fatigued, and may not want to even play---no matter how good the game may otherwise be.

Also, may be in the same vein as above, I'm not a fan of games whose linearity is so constrictive that feels as if I am being suffocated of the experience. Though, I would have to say Final Fantasy X is an exception to this due to me experience the linearity.

On another note, I tend not to enjoy game whose customization (mainly battle mechanics & character progression) are not deep enough for me to be engaged in the process. On the other hand, I also find it overwhelming when game take off all restraints in this regard to the point it can get bland.

Years
In no particular order:

• I really like grindy games. This is the primary reason why I love RPGs as a whole -- grinding so I can effortlessly take down enemies and bosses makes the experience so much better for me -- and it's a timesinker for when I have really nothing else better to do, so it's a win/win for me either way.

• Meaningful character development. I want characters that truly go somewhere with the story and feel kind of authentic, even if they can't exactly be 100% relatable. I think a good example of this is the Xenosaga series where just about almost every character had some level of depth and character development to them that made it so much easier to appreciate them as characters, even if they can't exactly be relatable due to the setting of the game, lmao.

• I like when a game has good OST. And I mean a memorable one too -- most Final Fantasy games are pretty good at delivering this -- and it just makes the gameplay experience SO much better when there's a good soundtrack playing in the background. Okami is another game that I really appreciate for its OST, too! It really says something when you can listen to a game's OST casually on youtube and not grow tired of it.

• This seems stupidly minor but I really like skill trees. Not that I dislike RPGs that don't really have this kind of stuff, but I like feeling like I'm actually progressing in the game and so skill trees kind of help with that.

Dislikes:

• Cringey dialogue. I really don't think much really needs to be said here. Thankfully I don't think I've... played a game yet that has had terrible dialogue so to speak which is really interesting.

• Sloppy storytelling. Now, I know recent Pokemon games have been criticised a fair bit because they don't exactly have the most exciting story ever, but honestly, I don't play Pokemon for the plot, I play Pokemon for the cute little creatures and battling, so this doesn't really bother me as much. But I think a game that's hard to take seriously with its kind of storytelling is Wild Arms 4. It comes across as a rather childish adult vs children kind of thing at first and awkwardly tries to be super serious about it. It's a fun game overall, but the overall theme I wasn't... a huge fan of.

• I can tolerate fanservice to a degree, but I really dislike when games go over the top with it. To piggyback on this point, I also dislike when female characters are overly sexualized in anime rpg games. It's kind of irritating to see.

Last edited:
Years
Like:

• Being able to mess about and pursue my own line of curious activity - not being tethered to the story at every turn.
  • Variety of combat.
  • Puzzles.
  • Interactive landscapes.
  • Utter freedom - if you see a building, chances are you can enter it.
  • Proper, original art styles for the land, characters, enemies and everything.
  • Likeable, imaginative characters - triumphs of purpose, personality and design.
  • An interactive battle system that requires a bit of concentration.
  • Locations with many hidden areas to be explored.
  • Lots of collectables.
  • Solid, prolonged endgame content.
  • Difficult-as-hell bosses.
  • Good lighting. Lighting can make the best graphics game an eyesore, and can improve the worst by a surprising amount.

Dislike:

• Fan service and anime-style archetypes. This will make me an anomaly, no doubt, but I dislike the busty, scantily clad companion who either warms to you straight away or be's rattatay and argumentative for no reason other than you saw her naked because she chose to bathe in the open. This is sloppy characterisation, cliched to pitiless degrees and is anime-style at its worst. Actually, I generally regard all anime archetypes with a loathing so severe I have to hold back from gnawing on my remote controller. So yes, Japanese RPGs aren't terribly big with me. I love the combat system more often than not, but tolerating abysmal characters demands too much of me. I am an artiste! A writer! I cannot stand those psyducking atrocities of design and personality.
  • 'Realistic' graphics, because they usually aren't realistic - just plain slimy.
  • Overly simplistic gameplay.
  • ... and basically the antithesis of all the things that I do like.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I Like:

- Good storylines
- Good characters
- Good game mechanics
- A range of things to do
- Good music

I Dislike:

- Damsels in distress
- Being forced to play in 1st person
- Only being able to play as one specific character throughout the game

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 28, 2019
I like games that have a moderate to steep learning curve. I always like challenges. What I hate is the saturation of video games with in-app purchases in the market. I miss unlocking certain stuff in the video games through completing quest or task and not pay for it.

~I really hate teammates who disconnect during an online match.

jadeCrown

Banned
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 12, 2019
I just hate the fact that there are a very few games like Unchartered and The last of Us in PC and it just bugs me quite a lot.

Years
I really like games with variable difficulty, good music and good storylines.

I dislike pay to win/in-app purchases or games that go out of their way to be as infuriating as possible.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Games that don't know the difference between a complex and confusing character progression system, and games that don't know the difference between streamlining and betraying the concept of the system upon revision. Rather infuriating to see this lack of understanding ruin many a good franchise as the years have gone by.

Back