• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2017
Ok, so I got a bit fed up with not being able to use my bicycle. What I did on my original hack is that I deleted all the maps in the header (using the -x amount of maps) and then inserted new maps as I worked. In that method it did not work.
Then I tried to use an original rom, insert an extra map (3.66), point the warp in your own house to that map and use my bicycle there. That didnt work either.
Then I thought: Maybe it's the map. Maybe there is something wrong with something I did and I am not able to ride the bike. So I saved a few original maps (Pallet Town 3.0, 4.0 and 4.1), deleted all the original maps and inserted these 3, adjusted the warps correctly. Again: I could not ride the bike. So it's not the map. But it's not me deleting some of the maps, because that didnt work either. Creating a whole new map and inserting it had the same effect: No bike. Apparently the moment I insert a new map in an original rom, I can not use the bike in that new map. After inserting the map, I cán still use it in the old maps. I even adjust the map connections from Pallet Town to the new map, hopped on my bike in Pallet Town and rode ín the new map where I could just ride along.

I have no idea what causes this. No new map is able to handle my bike skills. I'm stumped. Anyone an idea?

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2020
The numbers need to be hex, so 24.106 would be 18.6A
So try warp 0x18 0x6A
I'm not quite sure I understand. What are hex numbers? and I tried entering it, but Advance Map doesnt accept letters in map bank and map...

Chaos Control!! *warps away*

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Ironically I have a problem I previously helped answered, except this time my solution won't work :P

ConnectionFail-1.png

A-Map connection problems again.

Spoiler:

Is there any way to tweak this so my connection actually shows up? I'm fed up with this happening to me :(
I haven't worked with map connections in 3rd gen games, ever, but what might be the problem is your -3 right there.
How bytes work is that when a value smaller than 00 is reached, it warps back to FF and starts counting down. So try putting FD in decimal there (253).

At least this is the way I've to calculate part of the connection data in GSC games.

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2015
Game mechanics: Moves

Hey there,

I'm new to this forum so I hope this is the right place to post it:

On my personal research to reverse the mechanics in the Pokemon games I discovered that in the ROMs there is no place where the data is stored, which Pokemon learns which move on which level. Or I am just too stupid to find it... :S
I assumed it would be stored in the base data structure of each Pokemon, but it isn't in. Accordingly, I can't find lists of possible egg-moves or TMs that can be learnt.

I hope someone, who discovered that problem already can help me out, finding the data structure for that. I hope it is not calculated by some algorhithms, that need to be extracted from the ROMs.

PS: I know that I can find that data on several wiki pages on bulbapedia. That is not the point, I want to know how the data is stored in the ROM. Thank you!

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
That's what I thought. So why am I being told the I gotta use hex? In any case, my warp to altering cave still doesn't work >.>

I would start by opening up the header tab, going to professional view, and looking at every offset listed there, excluding any level scripts. All offsets there should end in 0, 4, 8, or C. If they don't, that's your problem.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2020
I would start by opening up the header tab, going to professional view, and looking at every offset listed there, excluding any level scripts. All offsets there should end in 0, 4, 8, or C. If they don't, that's your problem.
I checked it, and my map script offset is $0023B177. So I guess that's the problem. Should I change the last 7 to a 0,4,8, or C?
Thanks in advance.

*warps back* EDIT: All the other offsets are ending in the good numbers. And when I tried changing the last # to a 0, it gave my an error message that said: Value $14146314 is not a pointer!

Last edited:

redriders180

Years
I checked it, and my map script offset is $0023B177. So I guess that's the problem. Should I change the last 7 to a 0,4,8, or C?
Thanks in advance.

*warps back* EDIT: All the other offsets are ending in the good numbers. And when I tried changing the last # to a 0, it gave my an error message that said: Value $14146314 is not a pointer!

Just changing it to a number wont work, you have to repoint everything that starts at that offset to another offset that ends with a good value.

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2022
Several Questions

While doing some research into rom hacking for my own Fire Red rom hack, I've had several questions.

Is it possible to edit the EVs and IVs for starter pokemon? Likewise, is it possible to edit the EVs and IVs of the gym leaders'/Elite Four's/Rival's pokemon? If it is possible, where are the EVs and IVs for individual Pokemon stored in the ROM (i.e. what are the offsets for EVs and IVs)?

If I give a trainer more than their original number of pokemon, how do I make sure that there is enough space in the offset? If there isn't enough space, can I store the same trainer in a new offset?

Is it possible to create a new trainer (or modify an existing one) and fully customize their party (EVs, IVs, attacks, held items, etc.) through scripting alone?

Is it possible to create new flags? If so, how would you go about doing so?

How many existing flags are there and which ones are used by the game?

Thanks!

redriders180

Years
While doing some research into rom hacking for my own Fire Red rom hack, I've had several questions.

Is it possible to edit the EVs and IVs for starter pokemon? Likewise, is it possible to edit the EVs and IVs of the gym leaders'/Elite Four's/Rival's pokemon? If it is possible, where are the EVs and IVs for individual Pokemon stored in the ROM (i.e. what are the offsets for EVs and IVs)?

If I give a trainer more than their original number of pokemon, how do I make sure that there is enough space in the offset? If there isn't enough space, can I store the same trainer in a new offset?

Is it possible to create a new trainer (or modify an existing one) and fully customize their party (EVs, IVs, attacks, held items, etc.) through scripting alone?

Is it possible to create new flags? If so, how would you go about doing so?

How many existing flags are there and which ones are used by the game?

Thanks!

1. EVs and IVs of Pokemon in your party are protected with an algorithm; personality value mod 24, and then reorders them based on one of 24 configurations. To decrypt, you'll need ASM, or JPANs hack engine.
2. EVs and IVs of trainers pokemon are stored the same way as ones in your party. Thus, you'll need ASM for those, since JPANs hack engine only does party pokemon currently
3. A-trainer will notify you if you need to repoint. Do so by clicking the "repoint" button, and either typing in the suggested offset, or one you pick.
4. Not through scripting alone. Even using writebytetooffset wouldn't work, since trainerbattle overwrites everything.
5. It's possible to create new variables, with some ASM involved. Look on the second or third page of the Quick Research and Development thread.
6. Check here

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2022
Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply! I kinda figured editing the EVs and IVs wouldn't be easy, but I didn't think I would have to use assembly.

Last edited:

redriders180

Years
Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply! I kinda figured editing the EVs and IVs wouldn't be easy, but I didn't think I would have to use assembly.

I forgot to mention two things. The first is, bulbapedia has a helpful article about Data structures of Pokemon in the party (and opposing trainers) here. Everything mentioned in that article, except the "Data" section, is at a static address, meaning you can use writebytetooffset to edit it. But EVs and IVs are not included in said list.

Secondly, I read that the AI value in A-trainer either controls IVs, I believe. I don't know the formula, except FF means all 31 IVs.

Years
  • Seen May 7, 2012
Something really weird happened. I was testing some scripts in a ROM, going back and forth between VBA and A-Map. When I tried to open the ROM with A-Map, this message appeared:

ERROR: (EUnknownRomType) AdvanceMapError(12): Unknown Rom Type! This Rom cannot be edited with Advanced Map.

And I tried VBA:

Unsupported ARM mode 00

Also, if I load the rom, get the message, and then load a save file, I get:

Cannot load save file for POKEMON EMERBPEE.

Any ideas on why this is happening? :(

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Something really weird happened. I was testing some scripts in a ROM, going back and forth between VBA and A-Map. When I tried to open the ROM with A-Map, this message appeared:

ERROR: (EUnknownRomType) AdvanceMapError(12): Unknown Rom Type! This Rom cannot be edited with Advanced Map.

And I tried VBA:

Unsupported ARM mode 00

Sounds like a bad rom to me, look for another one and try again.

redriders180

Years

And I tried VBA:

Unsupported ARM mode 00

If you want to get complicated, try opening up a plain old Emerald Rom and your rom in a hex editor, and compare the first couple hundred bytes. The first 192 bytes are part of the ROMs header, so it's most likely a problem with that area of the ROM. If you want, just select the 192 bytes from the clean rom, and substitute it over the bad one, and hit save.

PS. 192 is in decimal, not hex.

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
How I edit the first map of the game ( example of emerald : the van map) ?
-----
another question, I saw an video for XSE toturial , in the end i have to take the offest and put it in the script offest positon.
i'm save and I look for checking the script and its diffrent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back