• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Accent Thread

fenberry

Lover <3
Years
  • Age 18
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2019
Everyone has an accent, depending on where they come from. Share your accent here! Feel free to say which country you hail from and how your accent sounds.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
i sort of have a northern accent, i think? despite being from the south, i have a northern accent i like to think. i moved around a lot growing up so i dont really have one specific accent.

Karl

Creator of [b]Pokémon Darkfire[/b]
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
London/British accent, mate.

*drinks tea*

Last edited:

fenberry

Lover <3
Years
  • Age 18
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2019
i sort of have a northern accent, i think? despite being from the south, i have a northern accent i like to think. i moved around a lot growing up so i dont really have one specific accent.

Northern accents are really cool!!

London/British accent, mate.

*drinks tea*

*dies* I love British accents. I think they're almost...cute? Like, that's not the right word I'm trying to find, but they're just really appealing to the ear.

I think I almost have a mid-western accent? I live in the Mid-west, except without pronouncing Missouri "missouruh".

Karl

Creator of [b]Pokémon Darkfire[/b]
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
*dies* I love British accents. I think they're almost...cute? Like, that's not the right word I'm trying to find, but they're just really appealing to the ear.

I think I almost have a mid-western accent? I live in the Mid-west, except without pronouncing Missouri "missouruh".

I've always had a thing for American accents. I really, really want to visit sometime!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I was raised in Australia my entire life but I'm Chinese. I'm not really sure what sort of accent I have - got told it sounds vaguely British at one point but I feel like it's just the Australian accent a lot of Asian people have here. It's definitely not the stereotypical Australian accent though if that makes sense :p Not quite sure how to explain it

Years
I'm from England, specifically Liverpool, but these days I sound RP (Received Pronunciation: "Standard English") rather than Scouse. There are a couple of reasons for that.

Firstly because I don't live in the country and a lot of my friends are non-native English speakers my accent has naturally mellowed over time (I've never had a particularly thick Scouse accent to begin with though). Secondly because it is my job to teach English as a second language I made the conscious decision a while ago to standardise my pronunciation in every respect. Learning regional variations is important but while you're still learning the basics (which a lot of my students are) I feel a standard RP accent is best for the learner to hear and learn from.

Because of my situation I don't even think about it anymore and my accent just is RP without trying (I'm sure regional phrases come out at times though haha). It is always funny meeting new people, talking for a bit and then telling them I'm from Liverpool since it's always the same confused/slightly shocked reaction haha.

Back