• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ideas for a new kind of game

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 29, 2016
Hello!

I have been sitting on a idea of a new style of pokemon. think about this you can breed new types of pokemon, for example if you breed a staraptor with a lucario it has the wings of a staraptor and the body shape of a lucario just imagen the ideas and designs that could be possible with this. as I said this is just an example this is a game that would be created from brainstorming of course

I also got the idea of designing a new region and a special legendary. I only have small ideas of a legendary so far so if anyone in the thread is interested contact me.

I am not good at making games that's why I got the idea to post this maybe some of you guys find this just as interesting as me and want to work on it I do not claim any ownership for the idea. this is just me brainstorming.

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
Years
Well, the first idea is a little bit ambitious. It depends on how many Pokemon you're going to have, and what can mix with what. There are 721 Pokemon, and if you were to have all 721 mixable with each other, then 721 x 721 = 519,841. Couple that with shinies, multiple forms, and gender differences, then you're in for well over a million sprites. Could it be done? Yes, if one has a few decades to spare. There are some games, most notably Infinite Fusion, if I recall correctly, that do something similar, but they only use a small selection of Pokemon. And even then I think they use a special algorithm or something to make the fusions, rather than sprite by hand.

Having an idea for a new region and a new legendary isn't anything special - there are tons of people who make their own regions and their own fakemon. Now, as you're putting these ideas out here for other people to use, then why not just go ahead a lay it out? You'd be far more likely to catch someone's attention that way.

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
As SpartaLazor says, that first idea explodes very quickly because there's lots of combinations between Pokémon. Even if you restrict your region to only a hundred Pokémon you're still talking about thousands of combinations, and it's not just sprites, you also need to think about naming, stats, typing, move pools and abilities!

So I think you're basically required to go down the same route as Infinite Fusion and come up with an algorithm that can combine two Pokémon and produce all the above. That said, it's obviously possible, and I think you could probably improve on Infinite Fusion's approach if you had some artists at your disposal. I imagine you could also tweak that algorithm to have different types for existing Pokémon (i.e. Delta Species), or even procedurally generated Fakémon!

IMO the challenge is to produce a better generative art algorithm. I've done some limited research work in that area — writing algorithms to produce 3D models of buildings based on the kind of architecture ­— so I have some opinions and ideas but am definitely not an expert, so take my suggestions with a large pinch of salt:

I think you break each Pokémon's art up into what kind of body it has, what components are on that body and its colors. For example Scyther is bipedal, green and yellow, and has a torso, head, arms, legs and wings; Mareep is on all fours, blue and yellow, and has a torso, head, legs and a tail; Goldeen is a fish, white and orange, and has a body, a horn, fins and a tail.

I would want to avoid allowing fusions between different "kinds" of Pokémon, but the obvious restriction is by egg groups and you'd still have some weirdness to fix there (e.g. in Water 1 we have Squirtle, Slowpoke, Horsea and Omanyte just from Gen I) so you'd probably have to come up with a rule on how to merge the different kinds by picking which parent to inherit it from (or if you're feeling ambitious you could take it from the male parent, à la ligers and tigons).

To merge two Pokémon you just choose which components you want to inherit from each parent and what color scheme to use (which is probably based on the fused typing), and them combine those components.

The trick is coming up with a way to make it easy to merge arbitrary components, for which I have two ideas, the second of which is quite experimental:

1. Sprite all the components for each Pokémon in a generic palette and the same perspective and sizes which you can overlay in the correct positions. You'd need to identify where to do the joins (e.g. where the shoulders are for each torso) and if you're supporting merging different kinds of body you'd need a different sprite for each kind (e.g. a Jynx-Goldeen fusion might take Goldeen's fins as a skirt).

2. Write code that generates a particular component given the color scheme and size of the body part it's attached to (so that you're able to have reasonable proportions). Call all the functions for those components and overlay all the returned sprite-parts.

If you wanted to go beyond fusion into Deltas and the like I think you could include the type in how you describe the components. For example Electric types are often spiky like Zapdos or Manectric, and Fire types often have flames like Ponyta or Litwick. To my mind this seems like it would be much easier with option 2, because it turns an N×M problem (N Pokémon's components × M types) into an N+M one (N component-functions + M ways to generically modify those functions to suit types).

Aaanyway I have a feeling that this reply is way more detailed than you expected or even wanted, but this is an idea that I've always wanted to write up and pitch. If any artists out there wanted to give this a go I'm available to write the code, heck if there's another developer out there I could even try to draw (but fair warning, it'd be Tom Bus level at best).

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 29, 2016
Of course i understand the meaning of what you say but this was like i said a brainstorm idea.

i got new ideas over night of course making the design and names to all the diffrent combinations is alot of work. but just the thought of making a better game then the already existing pokemin insta fusion. pokemon insta fusion uses the designs from that fusion website and the idea of making this game go further.

of course only making some pokemon being able to combine and make two specific pokemon to one.
and of course i see how you ment with all 700+ pokemon would take time to make combinations to all of them but only some specific and of course this can make to a great back story to the game as well.

i am just throwing around some ideas plz tell me your ideas and what could make this better i would love to make this real but lack the skill.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 18, 2019
a little ambitoues idea....but pokemon brand based on orge battle 64 ...have people who can have pokemon obey them and they level up with the pokemon....and I guess you have to play the game to find out...not sure if rpg maker has automatic turnbase 5 on 5 system yet..

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I recommend you to find an idea where we get a number of possibilities. It will be good if the idea is different and interesting with many possibilities. I think people will love it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Don't mind me, just diggin' up graves because two and a half years later I actually took a quick look at doing this. Gonna quote what I wrote before to set the stage, and then explain the 3rd (much lazier) approach I took and what's good and not good about it.

I think you break each Pokémon's art up into what kind of body it has, what components are on that body and its colors. For example Scyther is bipedal, green and yellow, and has a torso, head, arms, legs and wings; Mareep is on all fours, blue and yellow, and has a torso, head, legs and a tail; Goldeen is a fish, white and orange, and has a body, a horn, fins and a tail.

To merge two Pokémon you just choose which components you want to inherit from each parent and what color scheme to use (which is probably based on the fused typing), and them combine those components.

The trick is coming up with a way to make it easy to merge arbitrary components, for which I have two ideas, the second of which is quite experimental:

1. Sprite all the components for each Pokémon in a generic palette and the same perspective and sizes which you can overlay in the correct positions. You'd need to identify where to do the joins (e.g. where the shoulders are for each torso) and if you're supporting merging different kinds of body you'd need a different sprite for each kind (e.g. a Jynx-Goldeen fusion might take Goldeen's fins as a skirt).

2. Write code that generates a particular component given the color scheme and size of the body part it's attached to (so that you're able to have reasonable proportions). Call all the functions for those components and overlay all the returned sprite-parts.

3. Use Gen V component spritesheets so that you don't have to resprite everything, and then for each pair of connected components specify what coordinates they should be connected at. For each sprite separate the colors into palettes for "body color", "lighter detail", "darker detail" and "other", use this information to swap the colors between sprites (note some sprites have more colors in these palettes than others, I used CIELAB and a linear model to extrapolate the missing colors). To fuse two sprites take the body of one, and the colors/components of the other.

This algorithm ends up producing something like this just from the components that currently exist (that is to say, you'd get slightly better results for, e.g., Meowth if Gen V came with the coin and ears as separate components because they could be copied onto all the other sprites):
UiPxVGt.png

From image alone I'd say that while some sprites fuse well, others need a bunch of work. Some of the worst offenders are Machop onto anything (where we'd probably want to copy over that head thing), and anything onto Goldeen.

I think that the first improvement to try for this algorithm is to take a leaf out of the existing Pokémon fusion generator's book and fuse the facial details where possible. Not only the ears, horns, etc; but also the eyes, cheeks (e.g. Pikachu), and mouths.

The second improvement is to start splitting up the sprites into more parts (e.g. my earlier comment about Meowth, but also horns usually aren't separate).

The third is to redo some of the sprites so that they have the same orientation (i.e. my idea #1 from 2016). Ideally you'd want the algorithm to give Zubat onto something fusions its wings, but that ends up looking ridiculous!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 19, 2019
Maybe a hack like sonicmon/ben 10 mon/ dbz team training but with power puff girls characters from classic, power puff girls z and even the reboot. The starters could be fighting ice type blossom classic who evolves into h blossom then to blossom 2016, fighting electric type bubbles who evolves into r bubbles then reboot bubbles or buttercup who evolves into buttercup z then reboot buttercup. Legendaries could be for example maybe him, jemoire, and sporde

Back