• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Oh, wow. Someone else was on hiatus, too?

I don't even remember the last time I posted here, or anywhere else in internet for that matter. I've just been so mind-boggingly busy half of the time and down with a high fever whenever I had a free day. Soon it'll be over for the summer, and I've never been more relieved about vacation starting. Anyway, I'm back now. I guess.

And the conversation here is interesting. Not "a psychologist could do a life's work with this thread"-interesting, but actually, you know, interesting. I wish I'd gotten here faster, but nooooo, I had to read some stupid modern literature that drowned all the joy from my life and killed my will to write. I'm suffering from a severe writer's block right now, and it's all thanks to my Finnish teacher. I have nothing against modern literature, but those books sucked so much.

That aside, I'm agreeing with Dragonfree a lot. I don't think that even "saving the world" is too much to do if you pull it off well. I like the way Frodo saves the world in Lord of the Rings: anyone could do it, really, but they don't. Frodo doesn't have any special powers, he isn't really The Chosen One(tm) nor is he Strong, Mighty and Righteous. He's tempted by the Ring, too, and all in all, he's not even happy about having to take it to Mordor (I think it happens a bit too often that the hero of the story is all like "I'm the only one who can save the world so I have to embark on this troublesome journey, get kicked in the ass over and over again and waste years of my life for common good... AWESOME!!!"). It's a shitty job, but someone's gotta do it... I like that kind of world-saving a lot better than the good ol' "I'm the only one who can do this!". Not that it can't be pulled off as well, though.

On a completely unrelated note, I don't like movie!Frodo. He whines way too much.

...I kind of forgot my main point.

Bay

Years
I thought Negrek would answer Astinus' question on the Sues as she always bring good advice. XD; In any cause though, Dragonfree did bring good advice and made me think a little bit more about my OT fic. :)

Kenji, sorry, can't give out recommendations there. Haven't read too much fics here and also I usually don't do that in fear of someone screaming at me for not recommending their fic. XD;

An-chan, totally agree that saving the world doesn't make someone a Sue. I only watched the movie version of LOTR, but I thought the story did well on that.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
You'd have to keep in mind that the one ring has a different affect on everyone. ;)

Also if anyone is in the reviewing mood, I should have my fic up hopefully in the next week. I've used Canon from the anime, and will be using Ash and co.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Well for simplicity's sake, I'm going to base it right after the events of the movie 'Rise of Darkrai', the 11th movie, I believe. Though you do not have to watch it to read this.

Basically revolving around the idea of Aura (found in the movie ummm Lucario and the secret of Mew, or something like that),
Spoiler:
< It may sound cheesy but I don't want to give much away :P

Needless to say, I will have the main villains give information on Aura, so it's not like you'd have to read up or watch much :P

The main reason however, that I wanted to write this, was because the show itself is usually never that dark, while the movies somewhat are, but the conflict gets resolved quite complacently it seems, so this way, I'll turn it around, while perhaps also having the odd legitimate anime moment like team rocket blasting off. Though I will refrain from a narrator type, as well as a script type fic.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
"Pah," I said. "It's perfectly fine. There's no need to tell me no worries, there are ways of understand aura without seeing Ash's face."

Then I laughed.

Why am I writing this like a story? I thought to myself, just before I clicked Post Quick Reply.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
You're in the current mindset?

In this case though, the trio is somewhat the main cast (like any other episode). Uh Dawn, Brock and Ash.

It would be interesting however, if I did focus in on the villains too :)

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
Years
Geez, I leave for a few days and we all do serious! :p

Sounds like an interesting premise, Feign; Aura is a power/substance/whatever that isn't adequately explored in the canon, so I'd be very interested to hear your take on it and see what you'll do with it.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I'm writing a Pokemon fan fiction, but have only just started the firs chapter, so I can't put it anywhere yet.

That's great, and welcome to the community. But... that's not how it's done.

As in, we're happy to have you, but if you want us to comment on the fact that you're writing a fanfiction, a better way to handle things is to, well, write the fanfiction. Or at least tell us a little bit about what you're doing if you want some advice on the details of your fic before you post it. Otherwise, it feels like you're trying to talk to us about something we can't really talk to you about, and that sort of means we can't really talk to you because there's nothing to say.

Not to be mean or anything, of course. I'm just saying that if you want to talk to us and make friends, that'd be great, but keep in mind we need to be able to say something back to you.

As a side note... *pokes Scarlet Weather's MST back to the surface* I'll comment to it myself soon, but in the meantime, poor Scarlet isn't that bad of an MSTer. ;_;

Also also, I swear, the game I was talking about will be started soon.

Also also also, would it be useful to make an index of stories in this forum arranged by genre? Sometimes, I feel like I want to read a really good OT story, for example, but I don't feel like sifting through the romance and Pokemorph fics. Or, alternatively, I want another good sci-fi fic, but I'd like to read one that's been recced or needs reviews. Maybe it's just me, at least.

Bay

Years
As a side note... *pokes Scarlet Weather's MST back to the surface* I'll comment to it myself soon, but in the meantime, poor Scarlet isn't that bad of an MSTer. ;_;

Also also, I swear, the game I was talking about will be started soon.

Also also also, would it be useful to make an index of stories in this forum arranged by genre? Sometimes, I feel like I want to read a really good OT story, for example, but I don't feel like sifting through the romance and Pokemorph fics. Or, alternatively, I want another good sci-fi fic, but I'd like to read one that's been recced or needs reviews. Maybe it's just me, at least.

I might read Scarlet's MST tomorrow, but I'm kinda busy with a lot of things at this moment.

There's actually a Pokemon Catalog index at Serebii and it's a very helpful thread. Yeah, I too sometimes feel like reading a good OT fic and all that.

Ya know what? I think I might start that thread. Is that all right with you, Astinus? :)

Years

I was actually thinking about that the other day. It would make things a lot easier.

Anyway...I was wondering, would it be terribly confusing for a ic to switch from first person to third person every so often? My fic is going to involve flashbacks, and I want to differentiate the two in some way so that people know what's what and don't get confused.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'm just saying that if you want to talk to us and make friends, that'd be great, but keep in mind we need to be able to say something back to you.
She came to the wrong group of people if she wants to make friends.

Didn't have Andy in it, thus, in my opinion, I shall not read. This is exactly why I can't get through Dracula still, but that might change if I imagine Van Helsing is Andy. Because I can read Speaker for the Dead easily. And imagine random characters from that book singing Genesis songs.

Sometimes, I feel like I want to read a really good OT story, for example
Send me to the Congo, I've got to be free.

Ya know what? I think I might start that thread. Is that all right with you, Astinus? :)
HOP TO IT, BAY!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
She came to the wrong group of people if she wants to make friends.

Fair point. XD

Didn't have Andy in it, thus, in my opinion, I shall not read.

Well, if you replace every instance of the name "Scarlet" with "Andy"...

*clubbed by her partner*

Because I can read Speaker for the Dead easily. And imagine random characters from that book singing Genesis songs.

That's it, guys. Someone needs to write an Enderverse musical using only Journey songs.

Send me to the Congo, I've got to be free.

I know, dear. I'll get to reading it eventually. XD

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Well, if you replace every instance of the name "Scarlet" with "Andy"...

*clubbed by her partner*

But does he act gay? ?_?

That's it, guys. Someone needs to write an Enderverse musical using only Journey songs.
ON IT!

Also, Men At Work, Genesis, and Clay Aiken songs. I have to double-check my CDs to see what other bands I listen to that remind me of the Enderverse series. But there are specific songs by bands that fit it.

I know, dear. I'll get to reading it eventually. XD
I should be first. :<

Somehow I imagine this crowd would make liberal use of "Any Way You Want It."

This would be how the battles are portrayed in the Ender's Game portion of the musical.
Actually, the song "What It Takes To Win" by new!Journey fits the battles in Battle School quite well.

"Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'"

:P

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
/me cries deeply of aforementioned insubordination.

In other news little to no progress has been made on my front.

Hmmm was Bay referring to the 7k/7 day thing?

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Actually, the song "What It Takes To Win" by new!Journey fits the battles in Battle School quite well.

"Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'"

:P

Needs more Daft Punk. Namely Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back