• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
@ yoshikkko

no 5th gen pokemon have been released in DW so they cannot have their hidden ability.
so, a chandelure with the shadow tag ability cannot exist yet.
Thanks! Will we be able to get one in the future though, cause I did read that someone asked why ST Chandelure wasn't on ubers list, like Wobbuffet, since it was centralizing the metagame, so I'm confused.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Hey can a female with an egg move pass down the move if bred with a Ditto?

e.g. female Pikachu with Volt tackle + Ditto = Pichu with Volt tackle

ryziken

Neutral scientist
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
@greg0915

I know that in general, only males can pass down egg moves when bred with ditto. I think Volt Tackle may be a special case, however. I don't think it gets "passed down" essentially. It involves a Light Ball, that much I remember.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Can anyone tell me if the final version of pokemon prism is out or will ever be released?

This section is only for Black and White, try asking in the rom hacking thread for that, as seen here. :3 (If that's allowed, if not, read ROM Hackings rules and PM the thread creator :x)

Years
how do ev reducing berries workin BW? I know they aren't available yet but when they come out in DW are there any new mechanics to it?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
how do ev reducing berries workin BW? I know they aren't available yet but when they come out in DW are there any new mechanics to it?

From Serebii.net
In Generation V though, you'll need 26 of the berries to completely remove a stat from maximum.

From Bulbapedia
In Generation V, most of the EV system remains unchanged from Generation III and IV. EV-reducing berries no longer reduce Effort Points to 100 if the points were above 100; instead, only 10 EVs are deducted. Pokémon can now gain effort values from battling even at Level 100, and stats are recalculated at the end of every battle instead of only after leveling up, much like Deoxys in the Generation III games.

I think by that it means that each berry reduces the EVs by 10 like before but the first berry lowering to 100 no longer applies.

Years
so lets say that i have a victini with 120 evs in defence. can i use 12 berries to get rid of it? or can i only use 2 berries and reduce the evs to 100?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
so lets say that i have a victini with 120 evs in defence. can i use 12 berries to get rid of it? or can i only use 2 berries and reduce the evs to 100?

I think you are mistaking the EV Berry mechanics with Generation IV and before. Back then, using just one berry would drop your EV down to 100, and then 10 if your EVs were already 100 or below. It never capped at 100, though. In Generation V, the berries were made to only ever drop 10 EVs, even if you have above 100 in the stat--this was implemented to avoid the Pomeg glitch.

AcePokeCollector

On the hunt for new Pokemanz
Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2011
I just got Pokemon Black!

1) What should my starter be? I'm looking for one that has a fine touch for getting poke's in the red for catching (^name). Do any starters cast PAR, SLE, or FRZ?

2) How soon can I trade previous gen poke's onto Black (or Poketransfer/PalPark them, you know what I mean)?

Thanks! :D

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years

1) What should my starter be? I'm looking for one that has a fine touch for getting poke's in the red for catching (^name). Do any starters cast PAR, SLE, or FRZ?

2) How soon can I trade previous gen poke's onto Black (or Poketransfer/PalPark them, you know what I mean)?

Well. It depends on what you like better. Actually, none of the starters this generation can inflict a direct status, except Tepig's line with Will-O-Wisp. Remember though, you'll be getting other Pokemon along your way. I'd go with Oshawott. Snivy is at a huge disadvantage and has an awful movepool. Tepig is quite slow and poor in the defensive department. Oshawott is the average starter.

Once you defeat the Pokemon League.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

1. I don't think any learn many status moves from level (maybe it's the types?), but Oshawott does learn False Swipe. Cottonnee and Petilil from Pinwheel Forest may be best, they learn those and are early in the game so they're not pests.

2. You can't do that until you beat the game :( If you didn't play with new Pokemon it wouldn't be the same! You can trade old ones from another Black or White though, and the Dream World if you just can't let go. But if I were you I would try the new ones; they're really great and that way imo the game is just more fun. :3

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Well, I'm pretty sure all three can learn Swagger, Attract, and Toxic, like every other Pokemon in-game. Snivy's line learns Glare (PRZ), but only by breeding with Ekans or Dunsparse. Emboar learns the crappy Smog, which is basically 40% PSN, Will-O-Wisp, Body Slam with a semi-reliable 30% chance of PRZ, and Scald for 30% BRN. Samurott learns Scald too, as well as two FRZ-inflicting moves (since there are none that inflict it directly).

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
without HMs you cannot access parts of the Unova, so i do not think you can complete the games without the use of HMs. they are just an essential part of getting places in the game.

EDIT: can i catch a second tornadus in pokemon black or is there only one available?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
without HMs you cannot access parts of the Unova, so i do not think you can complete the games without the use of HMs. they are just an essential part of getting places in the game.

EDIT: can i catch a second tornadus in pokemon black or is there only one available?
There's only 1 Tornadus in Pokemon Black. Same goes for Thundurus in White.

L-Plate

Still hanging on....
Years

This is wrong, the game can be beaten with the use of only 1 HM (Cut) at the beginning of the game.
In Black/White, HM's are only used to access areas you normally wouldn't come accros, aquire secret items and Access shortcuts to and back of normally accessable areas (Example: access to Giant Chasm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back