• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I think you guys are misusing the term "overrated." It's suppose to be used in the term where its critical acclaim are off the charts, not a medium that's actually not good and deserves to die. This is why I never take the hipster culture seriously, because they purposely reject anything that's mainstream, whether they deserved it or not. I blame tumblr for fueling the need to misuse "overrated" on anything they like. What you guys should be saying are phrases like "cookie cutters" and "don't my cup of tea."

That being said, these "overrated" forms of mediums should encourage producers and developers to make their projects dethrone them as critically acclaim films themselves. Disney has already dethroned the Lion King with Frozen and Nintendo dethroned Super Mario 64 with Super Mario Galaxy, now we need other companies to surpass the Dark Knight, Empire Strikes Back, and the Big Lebowski.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Holy **** yall fight way too much XD
personally i loved both Skyrim and Gta 5 and thought they were both great games both in my top 10 favorites anyways going on to my list of overatedness

SAO - Mediocre anime at best :p some people it hail it as one of the best lol it was pretty damn bad
Minecraft - Fun time killer... but really?
Most Pop music today - lolz these explanations are getting worse and worse
Legend of Zelda - OHHHH ****E I JUST WENT THERE
Kingdom Hearts - OH MY GOD DID HE JUST.... WOW COME FELLOW FANBOYS WE MUST KILL THIS APOLLO

lol anyways if i think of any more i shall post them on here

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
Years
Dubstep. WEEEEROOOOVROOOOGSHEEE and everyone loves it. How...?
Social media. It's not even that great. Why do people obsess over it?
Spongebob. I tried watching an episode. It was just so stupid I had to stop myself. Dear God...
Rush. They weren't that great in my opinion, plus I personally believe their transitions in their songs were pretty bad.
American Football. Just a "safer" ripoff of rugby with play stopping every few seconds and way too many commercial breaks.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
American Football. Just a "safer" ripoff of rugby with play stopping every few seconds and way too many commercial breaks.

Wat...? You shouldn't bash on something you have literally 0 knowledge about.

Anyways, as for me,

Apple products
Call of Duty
Generation 1 Pokemon

That's all I can think of right now.

Also, some of you don't seem to know what overrated means. Some of you guys mention Justin Bieber, One Direction and Twilight. There are more haters towards them than fans, so that doesn't make them overrated at all =/

Poki

Banned
Years

Anyways, as for me,

Apple products
Call of Duty
Generation 1 Pokemon

Also, some of you don't seem to know what overrated means. Some of you guys mention Justin Bieber, One Direction and Twilight. There are more haters towards them than fans, so that doesn't make them overrated at all =/
I am very well aware of what overrated means, actually. Take One Direction for an example: Twelve year old girls threat them like gods, and their songs are constantly on the radio, yet they lack any kind of musical talent.

Tell me, how is that not overrated?

Guest123_x1

One media product I feel is (or was) overrated is Fear Factor. I remember it being hyped to no end when it first aired in the summer of 2001, and I even watched a few episodes, only for me to get turned off from it, believing that the stuff shown on it was gross and generally over-the-top.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, Supernatural, Dr. Who, Sherlock, Attack on Titan (GOD...), etc. I just don't understand the fascination with them. If you like them, good for you, but I've seen a few of these and I just don't get the hype. They're not that interesting, but hey! Whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I find Disney's Frozen hideously overrated. It might be since I'm some pretentious hipster, but people are saying it's "The best Disney movie ever!". Never did I laugh or think to hard about it. And I get it - it's a movie aimed for a younger audience. But Disney has done a good job of including things that even older viewers can laugh it. And don't even get me started on "Let it Go".

I kind of agree. Don't get me wrong, I thought the movie was great, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the best Disney movie. I did really enjoy it, though. But for all the attention and reviews it got, I was expecting more. I think people are hyping it up for more than it is, so I went in thinking I was going to be blown away. I was definitely pleased and I'll probably buy the movie on DVD (which I rarely do!) but it wasn't godly like everyone made it out to be.

Let's hope this page stays less fire-fueled than the first one.

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
Years

Anyways, as for me,

Apple products
Call of Duty
Generation 1 Pokemon

Uh what? I live in the USA, and I actually played football, so I think that qualifies for a bit more than "literally no knowledge"...
Yes what I said was a stretch, but football came from rugby, and I find the stop and go very tedious.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Like I said, there's more people that hates them than those who actually likes them. Only 12 year old girls likes them, the rest couldn't care less. Their songs are always on the radio? You should try changing your radio station, I only hear their songs on mainstream radio station.

Edit: The stop and go bothers me from time to time when I'm having a match too, yes. But rugby isn't 'safer' than football, it might look safer because they don't wear equipment and they're more prone to incidents, but football players wear the equipment not because they have to, but the league demanded them to. A lot of veteran football players started suing them because of skull fractures, concussions, dislocated bones and whatnot. They even made programs telling them about the dangers of head to head collisions .

Last edited:

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
Rush. They weren't that great in my opinion, plus I personally believe their transitions in their songs were pretty bad.

OMG U JUST DONT GET IT THEIR THE BEST BAND EVER NEIL PEART IS THE BEST DRUMMER EVER!!!

In reality, I quite like them. Just, DEAR GOD. They're not some underground band that is underrated anymore. Also since about everybody hates Justin Bieber, I wouldn't consider him overrated. Still sucks though.

Outlier

I think most people who claim that the first generation is overrated were either too young or didn't get into the Pokemon franchise in time to play the original games when they came out, so they just end up dismissing gen 1 altogether. Or they just say that gen 1 is overrated because hating the newer gens used to be the cool thing to do whereas it's the other way around nowadays. And in my opinion gen 1 haters have become far more obnoxious than the gen 1 fanboys used to be a few years ago. All these newbies and hipsters who are just being contrary for the sake of being contrary gotta learn some respect.

I'm not saying this about everyone who doesn't like gen 1 or thinks it's overrated, but this is the sense I get about a lot of the mindless comments and hate I see directed towards gen 1. People who prefer gen 1 have essentially become a vocal minority now lol. And they can't even speak up about gen 1 without some douche saying something stupid like that they're wearing nostalgia goggles or are stuck in the past.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
If I'm honest, almost everything (there are one or two exceptions) I've watched, read, or listened to because of a high level of focus in the media or because of an obscenely huge fanbase, has been overrated for me, because I just haven't enjoyed it as much as others have led me to believe I would...or rather, as I expected I would, given the high number of people who have enjoyed it and said it was the best thing since sliced bread.

To me, something is only "overrated" as a product of raised expectations. We go into something expecting it to conform to our expectations (because, of course, if it's the best thing ever, that's exactly what it will do) and when it doesn't, when we don't "get it" or whatever, it becomes overrated for it. I tend to think of these things as just not for me, rather than as "overrated". I suppose the two concepts are one and the same, but eh, the former has always sounded a little...arrogant to me? Just because I didn't care for it doesn't mean it's overrated.

A few things I was disappointed by include the following:

- The Dark Knight (I'm sorry, but I think one of the major reasons Heath Ledger is so praised for his performance as the Joker is because it was his last role...he just wasn't crazy enough for my tastes. There was no real passion to his acting. To use his own words: Why so serious?)

- Avengers Assemble (I just thought they'd crammed too much into this to give any one thing the focus it deserved...plus they included the Hulk, and I'd successfully wiped the memory of that awful film from my memory before then. The action scenes were great, but it was far too short...and it was over two hours already. I love Joss Whedon, but I wouldn't count this amongst his greatest works.)

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (I understand what it did for gaming at the time, but...well, that was years ago. It's long since been surpassed, in my opinion. Why are people acting as though it can compare to more recent games which have perfected and expanded upon the gameplay?)

- Adventure Time (I love cartoons, but this really didn't strike any sparks with me. I just...don't get it. But then, I grew up with Warner Bros. cartoons, so it's probably just a case of my sense of humour being geared towards other things)

- Madoka Magica (For a 12 episode anime it's very well paced, but...well, it's very predictable, and I don't think one shock moment really makes an anime great. I've read a lot of character analysis and the like online, and I can't help but wonder - where on earth did all this come from? I think fans read far too much into this show...)

TY

This whole "overrated" thing is overrated imo.

People just have their opinion of stuff that gets too much hype for them, and that is all. Then there are others who disagree and then arguments start over it, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Years
You mean to tell me that Frozen is the best Disney movie ever made? Check yourself. It's not. A nice fun little holiday movie to go see with the kids, but its no Lion King or Finding Nemo.

- The Dark Knight (I'm sorry, but I think one of the major reasons Heath Ledger is so praised for his performance as the Joker is because it was his last role...he just wasn't crazy enough for my tastes. There was no real passion to his acting. To use his own words: Why so serious?)

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
-The Nolan Batman movies. They try so hard to be "dark" and "realistic" that they ruin the whole point of Batman. To me, the 1989 Batman was the best because while it was dark and full of emotion, it also kept true to the idea of Batman by being a bit fantastical and over-the-top. Plus, the acting. Yes, I am aware I'm one of the 5 people who prefer Jack Nicholson to Heath Ledger, but it's pretty much inarguable that Keaton's portrayal of Batman is much better than Bale's.

-The Avengers. Yeah, it was a good movie. But don't say it's the best superhero movie. Just don't. It was a mindless summer blockbuster, and the only reason it's seen as more is because of all the characters it features.

-Adventure Time. Why so many guys at my school like this is beyond me. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of the whole idea of random humor.

-Nickelback. Don't try to tell me "oh, everyone hates them, they're not overrated". No. Have you seen how many albums they sell? They're overrated.

Outlier

I don't know if it's fair to say that the Nolan Batman movies ruined the whole point of Batman when there's been SO many adaptions and versions of Batman over the years. Nolan was clearly going for a darker tone with his movies and you could tell that these movies were influenced by a lot of the darker comics. Not every iteration of Batman has been over the top or campy.

And vice versa; just because The Avengers wasn't a dark superhero movie doesn't mean that it wasn't a fantastic superhero movie either. Not all comic books tackle heavy themes in every story they tell. The Avengers had pretty much everything you could ask for in a superhero film. Great action scenes, funny dialogue and a ton of nods and references to the comics that only true Avenger fans would have noticed. I wish people would stop being so stuck up and just enjoy a fun movie for what it is, not everything has to be super smart, serious and deep all the time, maaaan!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think AC/DC post-Bon Scott era is overrated. Back in Black is a good album, but it didn't have a big impact on me. Also, I vastly prefer Bon Scott to Brian Johnson. Ok, Johnson is a nice fellow, but his voice ruined AC/DC for me.

Speaking of Pokémon, I think 1st gen is a little overrated because, while the games were great for their time, the battle system was so imbalanced towards Psychics and strong Normal-types that it made the game less fun at a competitive level. I think everything 1st gen did, 2nd gen did a lot better.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
1. Hating One Direction and Justin Bieber. ("One Erection and Justine Beaver"? Grow up! Isn't it high time you gave up?,
Yes, they've made mistakes, but, just get over it)
2. Lorde (She's talented and everything, but, she is overrated)
3. PSY (Same with Lorde)
4. Justin Timberlake
5. Robin Thicke
6. What does the fox say?
7. Duck Dynasty (Really? For an opinion?)
8. Atheism (That cult is still going? ew)
9. Gen 1/2 Pokemon
10. "The 90s"
11. Adventure Time, Sanjay and Craig, Gumball... The list goes on.
12. SpongeBob Season 1-3 (yeah, they're great, but, no-one cares what's better)
13. The Illuminati
14. Frozen and Wreck-It Ralph, and Pixar for that matter...
15. Apple (Good software, tho)
16. Hunger Games
17. Pretty Little Liars
18. CoD, GTA V
19. TMZ (The stories they tell are amazingly annoying)
20. My Little Pony
21. PewDiePie

Last edited:
Back