The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old December 24th, 2010 (12:41 AM).

i want my hack to start with a "cutscene" so would i put the script square in advance map on the place where the player starts(in front of the tv)?

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 24th, 2010 (12:52 AM).

Nature: Rash
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by MysticFlames View Post
      @Hi-Techneon: Again, thank you, but it didn't really answer my question.
      My main problem is that after modifying the Healing Places Table to point to my custom map, I no longer show up in front of the nurse like I should upon fainting. Instead, I end up like this.

Any suggestions?
      I'll try to answer correctly this time :)
      Has the nurse the same X and Y position like in a normal map? I'm not sure, but it could be the problem.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by rune_reaper View Post
      Okay, so this is my first time hacking and I'm utterly confused by the "palettes".

To start, I'm trying to import an overworld sprite into the ROM, but when I do, it changes the colors of other overworld sprites. I figure it has something to do with palettes, but I have no idea how to get the color to be correct. So if there's any way to help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.
      You could first go through all the palettes, and search one that's free and no character uses. Then, you can connect the overworld sprite you want to give different colors to that pallet, and then import the sprite aswell as its colors. I hope it works :)

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Johto_legend View Post
      i want my hack to start with a "cutscene" so would i put the script square in advance map on the place where the player starts(in front of the tv)?
      When the player is warped to a particular spot, it does not check or there is a script here. Scripts only activate when the player walks on them, not by getting there using a warp. You should go to the header section and make a special script there, since it will be executed upon entering the map.

VDex:
      White:
      Old December 24th, 2010 (1:15 AM). Edited December 24th, 2010 by Johto_legend.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Hi-Techneon View Post
        When the player is warped to a particular spot, it does not check or there is a script here. Scripts only activate when the player walks on them, not by getting there using a warp. You should go to the header section and make a special script there, since it will be executed upon entering the map.
        thanks. i didnt kno that you could make a special script that activates upon entering a map. this will help alot. ill try it out soon.
        oh another quick question; using the scirpts that activate upon entering a map, i can still use checkflag to make the event only occur once?
        Old December 24th, 2010 (1:40 AM).

Quote:
          thanks. i didnt kno that you could make a special script that activates upon entering a map. this will help alot. ill try it out soon.
          oh another quick question; using the scirpts that activate upon entering a map, i can still use checkflag to make the event only occur once?
          Yes, it's possible to use checkflag, checkvar etc.

VDex:
          White:
          Old December 24th, 2010 (2:01 AM).
          Im comin' home...

Nature: Gentle
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by DarkLava View Post
          someone someone please tell me how to change where your character will start at in the game? Like where he'll begin his adventure
          Go to Toolbox
          HackMew's Toolbox
          Starter Map Chooser Advance (Or something along that name)

Mind you, even if you edit the Starting map in R/S/E, you have to remove the truck event if you want that gone, there are tools for that too, just look around in the various threads in teh toolbox section.

Seeing as how you've come here FIRST instead of the Toolbox, I've decided to be a gracious helper and provide a link to HackMew's thread, AND the toolbox, so you can look around and find anything and everything you'll need to be on your way.

HackMew's Toolbox
          http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85025

The Toolbox Forum
          http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Have fun
          Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
          Greetings Warden
          of Superjail Penitentiary
          Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
          ╠══User Info══╣
          Username:
          0m3GA ARS3NAL
          Sex: Male ♂
          Race: Caucasian
          Quote:
          "What is this
          I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
          ╠══End of File══╣
          Awaiting user input...

>
          Old December 24th, 2010 (2:20 AM).
          New account: P-Sign

I made a warp in Fire Red to 8.0, and when I step onto it, I warp to 7.3 .
            Does someone have a solution?
            Old December 24th, 2010 (9:30 PM).
            ~Fedoras~

Nature: Quirky
              @Hi-Techneon: Although the center was custom made, it does look just like other centers, which is why I really need to find someone who knows how to change where you end up and fix it that way.

So again, if anyone knows the answers to these questions, it'd be super great. This problem has left me at a bit of a standstill, actually. I've wanted to solve this problem before moving on. =[

1. How do I edit the Pokemon Center script that runs when you faint? Where would I be able to find it? The script I mean is the one that sends you the Pokemon Center (or whatever other healing place).

2. This one's related to the former. How do I change the location the player is sent upon fainting? Not just the map, I want to know how to change what specific tile you appear on (normally, you show up right in front of the nurse, for example, and how can you change that?).

I mean, I hope everyone knows what I'm looking for, I don't know how to make it any clearer. =| If I mustmustmust, I'll just steal already existing Pokemon Centers, but I would really prefer not to.

[Tools for lazy hackers] Flight Spot Editor // pkEditor - A Script Generator
              (Warning: May be loud...) // Consolation Prizes by Phoenix
              Old December 24th, 2010 (11:37 PM).

Quote:
                @Hi-Techneon: Although the center was custom made, it does look just like other centers, which is why I really need to find someone who knows how to change where you end up and fix it that way.

So again, if anyone knows the answers to these questions, it'd be super great. This problem has left me at a bit of a standstill, actually. I've wanted to solve this problem before moving on. =[

1. How do I edit the Pokemon Center script that runs when you faint? Where would I be able to find it? The script I mean is the one that sends you the Pokemon Center (or whatever other healing place).

2. This one's related to the former. How do I change the location the player is sent upon fainting? Not just the map, I want to know how to change what specific tile you appear on (normally, you show up right in front of the nurse, for example, and how can you change that?).

I mean, I hope everyone knows what I'm looking for, I don't know how to make it any clearer. =| If I mustmustmust, I'll just steal already existing Pokemon Centers, but I would really prefer not to.
                I hope I help this time :)
                If not, I'll keep trying :P
                When looking at the screenshot, I can see the player is transported to X 0 and Y 0.
                Maybe there's some kind of table that's accesable using HEX editing, where the coordinates for each map are stored. If I'm right, each map has the same coordinates, except the Indigo Plateau and the Net Center. Maybe you could edit it and add your map with its coordinates?

VDex:
                White:
                Old December 25th, 2010 (4:04 PM).
                Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
                Quote:

Here are some of my findings:

Code:
                0x1A654B : executed after battle fades, before "scurried home/to PC" text

0x16a2cb : viridian city 'sethealingplace' script (type 3)
                0x1bc05c : 'special 0x182' script (type 5)

0x1A8DD8 : home script (mother heals your team)
                0x1a8d97 : PokeCenter Script (Nurse Joy heals your team)
                Basically this is what happens: after the battles fades, the game runs the script at 0x1A654B. Before the "player scurried to such and such place" text is displayed, the level scripts (types 3 & 5) are executed for the target map (there are none for the player's house). After the text is printed and the player presses A, the game fades back in to the player's new location and one of those two scripts is executed. As for which tile the player gets warped to, I'll have to do further research.

Brother of Vrai
                Old December 26th, 2010 (9:51 AM).

Nature: Careful
                  Disregard my previous question. But I have a new one.

How do you make it so an event prevents the player from entering a map, but will move away when something has happened (Like the small green haired child at the beginning of the game, when you try to enter route 101 without seeing your rival)?
                  Old December 26th, 2010 (10:48 AM).
                  kevin del rey

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Nara567 View Post
                  Disregard my previous question. But I have a new one.

How do you make it so an event prevents the player from entering a map, but will move away when something has happened (Like the small green haired child at the beginning of the game, when you try to enter route 101 without seeing your rival)?
                  You would need flags in scripting to prevent something on happening, and then set the flag in another event so that it will let you pass. Look up a scripting tutorial on flags.
                  Old December 26th, 2010 (1:09 PM).

Nature: Careful
                    Ok, thanks.

How do you make a sprite indexed? I've followed a few tutorials, but it still shows as unindexed.
                    Old December 26th, 2010 (2:16 PM). Edited December 27th, 2010 by NintendoBoyDX.

Just to clear up one thing - for all those that ask how to index a sprite a quick google search would probably give you your answer extremely easily.

Anyway, to index a sprite go into irfanview and go to image, decrease color depth. Choose 16bit and uncheck steinbeck's dithering. It should change the image to use only 16 colors. In cases where the image uses more the 16 colors, you'll see a lot of changes to the image that'll need recoloring.

P.S. In photoshop setting an image to indexed, and choosing 16 is colors also works. If you choose RGB that'd be a 256 color image.
                      Old December 26th, 2010 (2:21 PM).

How do I replace a palette, but not a sprite?

I'm looking for artists willing to have their sprites in game. If you like devamping things and NES games contact me.
                        Old December 26th, 2010 (2:51 PM).

Just open the rom in hex editor and find the palette. Each of the 16 colors is 2 bytes so just convert your rgb color code into hex. An alternative solution is to use APE I guess, but why when it's so easily done in a hex editor..
                          Old December 26th, 2010 (5:07 PM).

In firered, is there any way to have someone follow you like how pokemon follow you in HGSS?
                            Old December 26th, 2010 (5:11 PM).

There is, search up how to do movement scripts, it's pretty easy to find. The only problem would be that if you want the person to continuously follow you throughout the entire game, you'd most likely have to add an asm routine for that... But if it's a short walk it's very easy to do.
                              Old December 26th, 2010 (5:30 PM).
                              I'm Russia, Fear Russia

Nature: Lonely
                                Quote:
                                In firered, is there any way to have someone follow you like how pokemon follow you in HGSS?
                                as far as i know, there isn't because movement scripts will not work from map to map.

my question is:
                                how do you make a script for starters where you get a different pokemon for gender, and 2 for boy lv 15, 1 for girl lv20? i'm working on a hack, but can't figure this out.

Blood brother to Kroso
                                Old December 26th, 2010 (6:59 PM).
                                Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm
                                  I have a question about world map hacking in FR. I have noticed that there is only one tutorial that specifically targets this (which is not very good, in my opinion) but lots of people who change the world map for their hacks. Not everyone uses this method I am sure, so what is the easiest way to put a new world map into FR? Can it be done simply by inserting the tile set and tile map in Unlz and then palette editing it?
                                  Old December 26th, 2010 (7:13 PM).
                                  ~Fedoras~

@Hi-Techneon: I really do appreciate all the help you've been, even if your answers haven't quite been what I was looking for. =] But really, thank you.

@colcolstyles: Thanks a bunch; you've provided me with everything I needed to know and more (And it always sounds like you go out of your way to find an answer, so I completely appreciate the help). =D

@siper x: So.... I guess the best way I could answer is show you a quick sample script. I haven't done anything like this, but I'm pretty sure this should work (The guy gets a Gyarados holding a Master ball [for giggles] and Machamp and the girl gets an Igglybuff).

XSE:
                                    Spoiler:
                                    #dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
                                    lock
                                    faceplayer
                                    checkgender
                                    compare 0x800D 0x0
                                    if 0x1 goto @boy
                                    compare 0x800D 0x1
                                    if 0x1 goto @girl
                                    end

#org @boy
                                    givepokemon 0x130 0x5 0x1
                                    givepokemon 0x98 0x5 0x00
                                    fanfare 0x13E
                                    msgbox @1 0x6
                                    waitfanfare
                                    release
                                    end

#org @girl
                                    givepokemon 0x175 20 0x00
                                    fanfare 0x13E
                                    msgbox @2 0x6
                                    waitfanfare
                                    release
                                    end

#org @1
                                    = \v\h01 recieved GYARADOS\nand MACHAMP.

#org @2
                                    = \v\h01 recieved IGGLYBUFF.

Pokescript:
                                    Spoiler:
                                    #org $start
                                    lock
                                    faceplayer
                                    checkgender
                                    compare LASTRESULT 0x0
                                    if b_true goto $boy
                                    compare LASTRESULT 0x1
                                    if b_true goto $girl
                                    end

#org $boy
                                    givepokemon 130 5 1
                                    givepokemon 98 5 0x00
                                    fanfare 0x13E
                                    message $boyPokemon
                                    $boyPokemon 1 = \v\h01 recieved GYARADOS\nand MACHAMP.
                                    boxset 6
                                    waitfanfare
                                    release
                                    end

#org $girl
                                    givepokemon 175 20 0x00
                                    fanfare 0x13E
                                    message $girlPokemon
                                    $girlPokemon 1 = \v\h01 recieved IGGLYBUFF.
                                    boxset 6
                                    waitfanfare
                                    release
                                    end

Old December 26th, 2010 (8:27 PM).
                                    Ghost Ralts

Nature: Impish
                                      So im not sure if this has been asked before, but because its pretty specific to my script i thought i would ask.

Im hacking ruby and i wrote a script and tired to add it (i followed a tutorial on youtube) i used pokescript and advance map.
                                      Bascially i want a team aqua guy to talk to you but whenever i walk up and press A most the tiles go green and only so middle ones and most of the edges can be seen.

My script is as follows:

#org Showtext
                                      lock
                                      faceplayer
                                      message $Unlce
                                      $Unlce 1 = Hey, its my favourite newphew \n What am i doing here? \n ... \n ... \n ... \n nothing, buzz off kiddo
                                      boxset6
                                      release
                                      end

can somebody please tell me what to do? im very new to this whole thing and really want to get started, thanks :D
                                      Old December 26th, 2010 (10:30 PM).

Nature: Calm
                                        Okay, I've been trying to replace the Hiro/Gold sprites in my Pokemon Silver rom with customized sprites I made. I thought this would be easy, but everyone's bent on editing 3rd gen roms, so it's been difficult finding any specific tools, and half of them won't work properly for me (like the Pokemon Gold/Silver Sprite Editor, for overworld sprites).

So, is there some way I can manually insert my sprites into the rom, and then replace them? I don't know if this is a tile or hex sort of thing, but I'm willing to learn enough about whichever so that I can get them job done.

I very much appreciate any help. :3
                                        Old December 26th, 2010 (11:32 PM).
                                        the spirit of the fighter

Nature: Brave
                                        Does anyone know if Sappy will work on Windows 95? I'm asking this because I have a Virtual version of it.
                                        Old December 26th, 2010 (11:57 PM).
                                        ~Fedoras~

I'm sorry I can only selectively answer questions, but when I look back and there's one random question I can answer, I feel that I should answer. XD

@pokeguy9000: So... here, I've edited your script and I've bolded what I changed.

Spoiler:
                                          #org $Showtext
                                          lock
                                          faceplayer
                                          message $Uncle
                                          $Uncle 1 = Hey, its my favourite nephew\nWhat am I doing here?\p...\p...\p...\pnothing, buzz off kiddo
                                          boxset 6
                                          release
                                          end

You're missing the $ in front of the first Showtext and boxset 6 should have a space; so those could have been causing weird nonsense. I also changed the dialogue because left as is, it would have caused lines to overwrite each other. In case you didn't know;
                                          "\n" is used to start a new line
                                          "\l" is used to move the bottom line of text to the top and then place that line on the bottom
                                          "\p" is used to clear the message box and start on the top line.
                                          I would also point out that you shouldn't have spaces around \n, \l or \p.

...I also corrected "nephew", "uncle" and "I" because it was really bothering me. Sorry. >.>

Old December 27th, 2010 (12:19 AM).
                                          Ghost Ralts

Nature: Impish
                                            Thanks MysticFlames
                                            im really new and the tutorial i watched to try scripting wasn't the clearest
                                            and yes, i am fast, but not accurate, typer so thanks you for your corrections

the green problem has stopped but now the figure is not responding
                                            this may be a different problem all together, something to do with how i added the script or how i copied and pasted it

also im not sure what type of problem this is but when i walk downwards on the first town arrows appear infront of the player like he is walking into a building
                                            again im hacking ruby using a map and pokescript

thanks for your help
                                            Closed Thread

Quick Reply