• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are legendary Pokemon truly useless?

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2016
It seems that even though legendary pokemon are rare and powerful assets to one's collection, you can't really do much with them.

-They're banned pretty much everywhere.
-You can't use them on the Battle Subway
-You can't use them in Wi-Fi Battles
-You can use them to defeat NPC trainers in regular locations, but you quickly run out of those.
-And you can only use them against those who happen to be in-person AND have their own Pokemon Black or White game. How many people know those who play Pokemon on a daily/weekly basis?

I know there are certain exceptions (Legendary Birds, Cats, Golems, Eon Duo, Lake Trio, Heatran, Cresselia, Regigigas, Musketeer Trio, and Kami Trio), but other than that, you can't use the other legendaries for anything.

*Sigh*.....My issues is not that the legendary Pokemon exist, but that only time that use legendary Pokemon outside of normal gameplay is the Stadium games, and Nintendo hasn't released any of those for the fifth generation and most likely never will (thanks to Gen 6th's full 3D). No Stadium Cups, no Earl's Pokemon Academy, no Gym Leader Castle, no Pokemon Laboratory, no Mini-Games, no Rental Pokemon, no nothing.

I mean, what am I supposed to do with my Keldeo that I worked so hard to train, if there's no Stadium game to use it in. I usually reserve my maxed out legendary Pokemon and Level 5 Pokemon (for the sake of Little Cup) for the Stadium games, since they're restricted elsewhere and can't be developed any further.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Moved to General since its an extremely broad topic.

Thing about Legendaries, the ones that are banned are usually Box Legends and Event Legends which include all of the special Mirage ones. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but Gamefreak chose to ban those. TPC agreed with regular tournaments.

As for Stadium, they did not make a "Stadium" for Generations 3 and up as Colosseum and PBR are two different styles and rule sets. Some of the rules were shared, but none of what made Stadium, Stadium was passed on into the new games.

As for Keldeo, you can't use it in the Little Cup even if it weren't banned...Little Cup is for Pokemon of the lowest rank on an evolution cycle. Single Stage Pokemon can't be used in the Little cups. Not the official ones.

Most Legends have always been trophies for catching or earning them. They don't really serve much purpose out of that since they aren't allowed to be used in sanctioned tournaments.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Kid's got a point here. This is why GF needs to nerf the endgame legendaries in order to meet the standards of the official tournaments and keep the young tournament players, who love using legendaries, happy. Unfortunately, the guys at BMGF fully disagree with this solution because it ruins the purpose of endgame legendaries.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Kid's got a point here. This is why GF needs to nerf the endgame legendaries in order to meet the standards of the official tournaments and keep the young tournament players, who love using legendaries, happy. Unfortunately, the guys at BMGF fully disagree with this solution because it ruins the purpose of endgame legendaries.

If they nerfed End Game Legends then GF would Ban all legends like they used to just because of their Legendary Status.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Moved to General since its an extremely broad topic.

Thing about Legendaries, the ones that are banned are usually Box Legends and Event Legends which include all of the special Mirage ones. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but Gamefreak chose to ban those. TPC agreed with regular tournaments.

As for Stadium, they did not make a "Stadium" for Generations 3 and up as Colosseum and PBR are two different styles and rule sets. Some of the rules were shared, but none of what made Stadium, Stadium was passed on into the new games.

As for Keldeo, you can't use it in the Little Cup even if it weren't banned...Little Cup is for Pokemon of the lowest rank on an evolution cycle. Single Stage Pokemon can't be used in the Little cups. Not the official ones.

Most Legends have always been trophies for catching or earning them. They don't really serve much purpose out of that since they aren't allowed to be used in sanctioned tournaments.

As for the Little Cup, I was actually referring to my Lvl. 5 Rufflet (which I needed to complete my pokedex, since I own Black), and my spare Larvesta (since I caught Volcarona in the Relic Castle).

But again, I do not want to bar legendaries. I just want another Stadium/Orre Region/PBR game for me to use them in.

Totodilesteel99

Lord of Awesomeness
Years
Yes. Truly useless. Kid, I completely agree with you.
Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno, look cool, but genuinely are useless.
Entei, Raikou and Suicune, can't even take down a Charizard.
Lugia and Ho-Oh, I haven't used, but I've heard they can't even take down Lance's Dragonite.
Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza are the same, and the Regis are only useful to get Regigigas.
Latios and Latias, I don't call really call "Legends" but I call them "Extremely Rare"
I've never obtained a Deoxys, or Jirachi, nor Celebi.
Sinnoh Legends are rubbish.
Kyurems OK, but the rest are rubbish.
Only good legends are Mew and Mewtwo.

Nothing Is Real

It's all in the mind you know!
Years
Depends entirely on whether using legendaries in-game is your thing. Kids love ubers, so in that sense they aren't useless/pointless. Not everyone wants to transfer their legendaries from their games for external use. I personally despise using legendaries, so they are of no use to me. To say that they're entirely useless is ridiculous, though.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Personally I look at legendaries as more of a trophy/collectable. I've never been interested in using them for battles so the thought never occurred to me that they could be more useful haha. I like going around the region and capturing these Pokémon that people thought were uncatchable, it's a big feeling of "win" when you do! As for usage in battles, there's a large chunk of legendaries that aren't banned but I don't tend to see them as legendary Pokémon in battles, I just judge things based on their stats/moves. For things like Excadrill and Blaziken to be banned and placed on the same level as legendary Pokémon it makes them seem rather normal to me :p

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2013
Yeah I would say so. I usually use them for about 1 battle after I catch them and then they become completely useless

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
i still have a few friends that use legendaries to battle. they still haven't learned how to EV train or check ivs though so my legendaries are always better. if i use any other pokemon they just spam the signature moves and use recover every now and then so mine are sometimes useful.

If they nerfed End Game Legends then GF would Ban all legends like they used to just because of their Legendary Status.
i'm gonna have to disagree with this. i don't think they would just ban something because of it's status. they still allow some legendaries that are slightly more powerful so why ban the main legends if they aren't any more powerful?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
i still have a few friends that use legendaries to battle. they still haven't learned how to EV train or check ivs though so my legendaries are always better. if i use any other pokemon they just spam the signature moves and use recover every now and then so mine are sometimes useful.

i'm gonna have to disagree with this. i don't think they would just ban something because of it's status. they still allow some legendaries that are slightly more powerful so why ban the main legends if they aren't any more powerful?

They have always banned selected legends if not all of them. The Event Legends and main legends are banned due to how you get them while all other legends are always optional. The lesser legends even the ones with 600 base don't have the same movepools as others and can be seen as weaker compared.

What ever reason Gamefreak has, if nerfed all legends stand to get banned like they were back in Gen 2. Most of the tournaments didn't allow legends in Gen 3, but when Gen 4 introduced its large lot a lot of the lesser ones started being allowed. If Gamefreak evens out the legends they'll just ban all of them again.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
The legendaries that are banned are the ones considered Ubers (anything over 600 BST) and the event Pokémon such as Mew. Everything else is allowed.

Heatran has a BST of 600, but I'm one of the few people who don't consider Heatran a legendary.

Back