• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheronElite

Pokemon Professor
Years
Landorus might, emphasis on the might, work in a TR team. With minimal speed investments, it can reach a speed of 183, slower than base 76 speed Mons, with no EV investments and a neutral nature. Just don't get too excited.

As for EV training, you're gonna have to be a little more specific. What part to you have trouble with? Keeping track of the EVs? Finding spots to train? 'Cause EV training is pretty simple.. hahaha
Keeping track. It's what gets me everytime. I'm doing good and then one mistake pretty much screws me over. I end up with 255 instead of 252.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Keeping track. It's what gets me everytime. I'm doing good and then one mistake pretty much screws me over. I end up with 255 instead of 252.

Use a tally chart, i find it easy to keep track that way.

EB

Re: World
Years
Kendrick Lamar - Keisha's Song

Can someone please explain to me the benefits of getting involved in the competitive battling scene? I'm hesitant to question the relevance of anything since most people consider it to be an insult or bash against said thing, but I assure you that this post is not to invoke such nonsense.

The reason I'm asking such a question is because I've done some thinking, but I really see no variety to award approaching such a scene. Granted I haven't immersed myself all that much, but it appears that the only changes ever made to the metagame are those that occur after every new release or the occasional discovered stratagem; I haven't seen signs of much, if any, fluctuation in team builds that would actually have a chance at pulling off wins. :cer_frown:

Is there some aspect of the competitive scene I'm not currently aware of? Am I wrong about the variety in team builds? Are there clutch outcomes outside of the game's influence, i.e. chance-moves?

Someone please prove me wrong. Pokémon has been something I upheld all the way through my teens, no matter how unpopular it became. I'd only praise the people who showed me it's relevance outside of a relaxed pastime.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2015
Just started a new Platinum story and got a Piplup. Who else should I have on my team?

So far:

Piplup (Obviously)
Starly (to cover Piplup's grass weakness)
Abra (for later to help with fighting)
Roselia (for ground types)
Lucario (I just kinda like the guy)
Gible (For electric types)

NOTE: I don't have all of these people yet, this is just a plan.

Don't REALLY know if this belongs here, but I think it does, as I can't post a thread in In-Game Team Help, because I don't have movesets.

IS THIS GOOD?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Just started a new Platinum story and got a Piplup. Who else should I have on my team?

So far:

Piplup (Obviously)
Starly (to cover Piplup's grass weakness)
Abra (for later to help with fighting)
Roselia (for ground types)
Lucario (I just kinda like the guy)
Gible (For electric types)

NOTE: I don't have all of these people yet, this is just a plan.

Don't REALLY know if this belongs here, but I think it does, as I can't post a thread in In-Game Team Help, because I don't have movesets.

IS THIS GOOD?

Well for Roselia, it doesn't resist ground, and in which case you'd be better off with a pure grass Pokemon since with that extra typing it doesn't really make a difference, plus you have Starly to completely avoid ground type attacks due to it being a flying type. If you still wanted grass, you could go for Tangrowth, considering that Sinnoh doesn't have the best choice in grass types. But it depends on what you want Roselia for, if you want something to set-up hazards, then yes it'll work, but if you want a staller or to just outright attack water/ground types since nothing can really hurt water, then Tangrowth would probably work better for you (you also didn't say Roselia needed a specific role so...) Plus it also has a fun ability in Regenerator, meaning it can't be taken down easily, etc. For something offensive then Tangrowth is probably the better choice, due to better stats overall. ;x

Either way, soon there will be a sticky made @ in-game team help for you to post that sorta stuff anyways. Don't know when exactly the mods are intending to do that though :(

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Hello!
I'd like to ask a question on BW OU...
So, I'm planning a team. I have Celebi, Rotom-W and Heatran. I see that Blissey and Chansey would be a problem to these Pokemon, so I'm looking for a Fighting-type to help me counter Blissey and Chansey.
So...which one should I use? Conkeldurr, Terrakion, Cobalion or Virizion? Well, my mind's set on either Conkeldurr or Terrakion...but I prefer Terrakion due to its Speed.
Thanks!

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
Conkeldurr would love Toxic carried by Chan/Blis, of course, if it carries Guts. Scarf Terrakion is good too. I suggest Conkeldurr if you wouldn't want two Pokemon weak to Ground, though Rotom may cover up for that. However, Haxorus would seem a threat to Rotom-W and Heatran not carrying Air Balloon.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Conkeldurr would love Toxic carried by Chan/Blis, of course, if it carries Guts. Scarf Terrakion is good too. I suggest Conkeldurr if you wouldn't want two Pokemon weak to Ground, though Rotom may cover up for that. However, Haxorus would seem a threat to Rotom-W and Heatran not carrying Air Balloon.
Erm, when would Haxorus be a threat? Is it when I use Terrakion? Because I will. I don't have a revenge-killer and Terrakion would fill that role well (like what I found in Smogon).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Erm, when would Haxorus be a threat? Is it when I use Terrakion? Because I will. I don't have a revenge-killer and Terrakion would fill that role well (like what I found in Smogon).

Haxorus is a threat to Rotom-W because it can outspeed Rotom-W (unless Rotom-W carries a Choice Scarf) its Earthquake can bypass Levitate to hit Rotom-W's Ground weakness and it resists Rotom-W's STABs. Heatran is weak to Haxorus' Earthquake too (unless Heatran carries Air Balloon); it's also slower than Haxorus.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2015
Still playin' Platinum.

Empoleon
Houndoom
Roselia
Staraptor
Lucario
Gabite
Gardevoir

Anybody notice something wrong with this team? 7 POKEMON!! I don't know which one to pick off.

Empoleon is my starter.
Houndoom helps LOADS (Grass, Psychic, Steel)
Roselia is a hazard person (Toxic Leech Seed, U-turn and something else)
Gardevoir kills fighting
Lucario FUDGING PWNS and only has 2 weaknesses
Gabite is immune & super effective against those pesky electrics
Staraptor is for grass, dark, and fighting (plus I need a flier because I'm lazy and don't like walking)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Gardevoir has the least practical use since you have Staraptor for fighting and you wanna keep it to fly around.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Hello!
I have another question, again...
So, I have found out that Haxorus is a threat to two parts of my team...Rotom-W and Heatran. I could remedy that by giving Heatran an Air Balloon, but that's temporary...and I was thinking of using the TormenTran set. So, I was thinking of using an Ice-type or Dragon-type to counter Haxorus. I was thinking of Mamoswine or Dragonite. Dragonite...it resists Haxorus' Earthquake and is pretty bulky...but I don't really know if it can stand a hit from Haxorus' Dragon-type moves. Mamoswine is said to be pretty bulky too and its Ice-type moves hit Haxorus pretty hard, I guess. And it also takes normal damage...from Earthquake. But I don't really know if it can withstand Haxorus' Attack power...if it holds a Choice Band.
So, which one should I use? Or should I use a different Ice-type/Dragon-type?
Thanks!
And also...about my other question...is it better to use someone who would instantly kill Blissey/Chansey or wait until my Pokemon is (slowly) killed by Blissey/Chansey and then use a Pokemon to kill Blissey/Chansey...

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hello!
I have another question, again...
So, I have found out that Haxorus is a threat to two parts of my team...Rotom-W and Heatran. I could remedy that by giving Heatran an Air Balloon, but that's temporary...and I was thinking of using the TormenTran set. So, I was thinking of using an Ice-type or Dragon-type to counter Haxorus. I was thinking of Mamoswine or Dragonite. Dragonite...it resists Haxorus' Earthquake and is pretty bulky...but I don't really know if it can stand a hit from Haxorus' Dragon-type moves. Mamoswine is said to be pretty bulky too and its Ice-type moves hit Haxorus pretty hard, I guess. And it also takes normal damage...from Earthquake. But I don't really know if it can withstand Haxorus' Attack power...if it holds a Choice Band.
So, which one should I use? Or should I use a different Ice-type/Dragon-type?
Thanks!
And also...about my other question...is it better to use someone who would instantly kill Blissey/Chansey or wait until my Pokemon is (slowly) killed by Blissey/Chansey and then use a Pokemon to kill Blissey/Chansey...

It's best not to use a dragon type to counter a dragon type due to its weakness to the super effective attacks - plus if the opponent has SR up, Haxorus outspeeds Dragonite even without a nature invested in speed which'd make Multiscale useless and Dragonite ready to get KO'd (even with Multiscale it still does around 80%). Choice Band Mamo @ Ice Shard only does about 85% to Haxorus, so even with SR up it wouldn't KO (at least I'm pretty sure on the SR part). You could always sacrifice a Pokemon or something, and try that then use Scizor with Bullet Punch. If not, then probably the other thing you can do is to use Skarmory.

It's better to outright kill them yeah, you don't really want your Pokemon to get hurt. ;x Unless you mean to setup which is okay too, but if you have Terrakion you can kill it anyways w/o needing to setup.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
So, how could I counter Haxorus again?
And if that's the case, I could use Terrakion NOT as a revenge-killer. Because revenge-killers...well, from the name, it means that it would be used after a teammate goes down.
Or maybe I should use Conkeldurr instead...?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So, how could I counter Haxorus again?
And if that's the case, I could use Terrakion NOT as a revenge-killer. Because revenge-killers...well, from the name, it means that it would be used after a teammate goes down.
Or maybe I should use Conkeldurr instead...?

Best bet is probably going with SR on something then going to something else with strong priority that can't really be affected by the possible DD boost either when it's locked into an Outrage or if it uses DD. Those choices being Mamo/Scizor (latter has strong priority and can resist outrage, soo). ;x Or Skarmory as said due to resisting its attacks and restoring the damage.

As for revenge killers, you can argue that anything with priority or anything equipped with Choice Scarf or high speed can be a revenge killer, depending on what Pokemon are involved. Terrakion can still be used for that role and to OHKO those things.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014

Best bet is probably going with SR on something then going to something else with strong priority that can't really be affected by the possible DD boost either when it's locked into an Outrage or if it uses DD. Those choices being Mamo/Scizor (latter has strong priority and can resist outrage, soo). ;x Or Skarmory as said due to resisting its attacks and restoring the damage.

As for revenge killers, you can argue that anything with priority or anything equipped with Choice Scarf or high speed can be a revenge killer, depending on what Pokemon are involved. Terrakion can still be used for that role and to OHKO those things.
And about revenge killers...I can still use Terrakion to eliminate Blissey/Chansey without waiting for a teammate to go down?
And so...I should use Scizor then. Problem is, Earthquake from Haxorus might be able to eliminate it, due to Scizor being a Steel-type. So, it's Mamoswine for me, then! OR...Skarmory can do the trick. Even though it's a Steel-type, it resists Haxorus' Earthquake, even until it can't feel the damage AT ALL. And I could use A LOT of entry hazards!

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Just as of note, Scizor is also bug type which means EQ is neutral on it.

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 19, 2013
Need help on a wifi team

I'm not by any means new to pokemon but I haven't really done much competitive battling so I was wondering what kind of team I should use?

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Need help becoming the greatest ever (doubles)

I just lost 0-4 to a blizzard team. I obviously need to change my team. I would like to create a team centered around this pokemon
Rhyperior (Adamant) lv 50
Attack- 206
Defense- 145
Special attack 74
Special defense 79
Speed 54

Mkay. Rhyperior > Everything else

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Just as of note, Scizor is also bug type which means EQ is neutral on it.
Yeah, but which one then? I don't really have a priority attacker...and Scizor can fill that role very well. But Skarmory can wall Haxorus, although I'd have to watch out for a magnet...Magnezone. Scizor also has problems with it...but U-turn can fix it, right? And then, I can make Magnezone trap its melting steel friend which is also a problem for it...Heatran.
So, I'll just use Scizor, then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back