• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Jif" or "Gif"?

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
Years
Listen Legoland, I don't live in the Kingdom of Jondor. Link to a 9Gag post, for those who don't know what I'm talking about. 😂

Sadly for Boromir and myself, the creator has come out to say it's pronounced 'jif', and according to the common rules of English, the 'g' is is indeed meant to be a soft g when it's succeeded by an i, e, or y (just Googled it, I can't usually remember this). However, it's always going to be gif in my heart, and it'll always be gif until the word 'graphics' suddenly becomes 'jraphics'.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
Oh god, this can of worms... I've been reading it like gif for as long as I can remember. No one in my surrounding says jif and I'm sure as heck not going to be the "akshually" guy.

Years
Gee Eye Eff

Does it really matter at this point?

It absolutely does if you're me and gain satisfaction from making others frustrated when I say "jif". I go out of my way to be annoying if I don't particularly like the other person.

Years
I only ever say JIF if I feel like pissing people off lmao.

Honestly I don't know why it's caused such a heated debate. Why do people care so much about this?

Back