• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Football/Soccer Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Can't say I've followed the Dutch league much in recent years but I was impressed with Ajax (looked like a b team) when they played us the other week. They really outplayed us.

Even though he's a bit of an idiot it's good to see an English manager in Steve McClaren doing well abroad.

The week before the first Premier League round is going to feel like an eternity. Not even sure why I'm excited, we never do well away at Fulham.

Years
I heard a number of La Liga teams have filed complaints concerning an unfairness of TV distribution money and whatnot. Did that blow over or is the strike still perpetuating? I guess this would mean a significant delay in fixture scheduling.

Years
I heard a number of La Liga teams have filed complaints concerning an unfairness of TV distribution money and whatnot. Did that blow over or is the strike still perpetuating? I guess this would mean a significant delay in fixture scheduling.

Spain had this problem last year, so it would not surprise me. I completely understand their point of view though, there's hardly any point to the league as it goes.

Boro got a win in the Capital One Cup, but we all know the real season starts in three days. I just can't wait for the first match at the Riverside.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Oh, the LFP, the organization controlling La Liga, made a charade meeting in which the teams were told to shut up. They also invited the 22 Segunda teams to counter the 13 Primera teams who were against the current TV money split, which is something like 50% for Madrid and Barcelona, 30% to split between the remaining 18 Primera teams and 20% for the 22 Segundas. The epitome of fairness.

In short, as in every summer, nothing has been solved but we'll have football this weekend. But last year the rebel group consisted of 8 teams, this year there are 13 in it. Maybe next year we can get all the 18 teams to join and put up a decent defence.

There is also another problem- time slots. Matches at 11 PM? Atlético playing on Monday when we have the Euro Supercup match a couple of days later? Who the hell designed this thing? It's like the TV channels hate the teams or something.

Years
To be fair to the people who re-arranged the fixture, I don't think many people consider the Super Cup to be too important, it does seem like an odd decision though.

Anyway, I imagine this will be the major transfer story of the summer so let's make a big deal of it all. Man Utd agree a deal for Van Persie.

BBC have their annual club-by-club guide for each league if anyone is interested too.

- Premier League
- Championship
- L1
- L2

You might want to read the Championship one to have a clue what I'm on about all season.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Once the partnership forms with Rooney Manure are going to be lethal. Normally I'd hate it but it's potentially some amazing entertainment and Man City beating here.

As for my side we've just signed Garrido on a season long loan, him and Snoddy should greatly increase the quality of service for our front line.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Yeah, I was worried at first but I'd say that, if it gives Man U any chance of knocking City off their pedestal, then I'm all for it. Call me stupid but I'm still pretty bitter about them winning the PL last season so... even if it does involve RVP, a player I really don't like (although in fairness he does work hard), I think I'm ok with it.

Assuming, that is, that he has a similar season to his last. He's getting on a bit now and hasn't shown very much consistency between seasons at all so... I'm doubtful. Especially with that horrible £22m price tag.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Under an hour till kick off.

Watching our feeder team beat Wolves right now, wouldn't mind taking that Ross McCormack lad next.

Edit - Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Last edited:
Years
Ahh the almighty Samir Nasri saved the day for them though.

It was a bad start for my lovely Boro, losing against one of the worst sides in the division.

A great first weekend for the Premier League with some nice surprises, especially Swansea's complete demolition of QPR.

Ivysaur

Years
Well, yesterday was the day worth watching in La Liga. Specially the ridiculous Athletic Bilbao 3 - 5 Betis. 5 goals in 30 minutes! Meanwhile, Madrid started losing 2 points to Barcelona in an 1-1 draw against Valencia (moment of the match: Jonas scores a goal in a corner kick while Pepe takes Casillas down in a tackle- they ended up requiring medical assistence while the Valencia players celebrated, and Pepe spent the night in the hospital). Barcelona massacred Real Sociedad 5-1, with 2 goals from Messi in 15 minutes and one from Villa, 9 months after breaking his leg.

Next Thursday: Barça - Madrid. The 'fun' beings already.

Years
I felt real bad for Pepe and Casillas. That was a bad collision. I heard Pepe might miss the first leg of the Super Cup.

Ivysaur

Years
I felt real bad for Pepe and Casillas. That was a bad collision. I heard Pepe might miss the first leg of the Super Cup.

Well, there is a 99% chance, he's still in the hospital. The reports say he's not in any serious danger but the doctors want him to rest for a bit longer to avoid the concussion getting worse and knowing his style of play, 90 minutes of football would do exactly the contrary.

Madrid's defence in Barcelona will be a bit odd as a result, but Ronaldo's shape (or lack of, rather) should be a bit more worrying for them.

pleb

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
Straight back to watching football for me. It would've been awesome to se Southampton beat Manchester City.

Nihilego

Years
And so far they haven't held up too bad tbh.

Really amused to see RVP on the bench, btw.

Years
Everton! They just couldn't score! They fully deserve a lead but De Gea is apparently Superman today.

pleb

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
Southampton had a great start to the league but the same can't be said for Liverpool, losing 3-0 to West Brom.

De Gea is apparently Superman today.

It hasn't lasted because Fellani just won the game for everton apparently. ;)

Last edited:

Nihilego

Years
I definitely didn't see that coming. Everton 1 - 0 United. Everton worked hard for that win, it was nice to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back