• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever use Battle Items?

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
These are items that enhance the stats of a Pokémon in-battle. There are 8 of them in total: X Attack, X Defence, X Sp Atk, X Sp Def, X Speed, X Accuracy, Dire Hit, and Guard Spec.

I've hardly ever used these items in the past and have usually just sold them in order to buy things like Potions and Pokéballs, though I might start using them more often in the future. Do you use these items regularly?

Years
I never used them after trying them once back in Yellow. I know they got buffed in Gen VII, but I didn't use them when playing Sun. Most of the time I keep them in my Bag and ignore them.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
The games aren't hard enough to warrant use if I'm completely honest. Maybe back in the earlier generations, but the recent ones just don't require them.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
No. I don't like using them unless I'm in a desperate battle like against Whitney.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I'm in the minority with this, but I rely on battle items heavily.

One of my favorite things to do in Ultra Sun was use Work Up with Primarina, then X Speed, and sweep through teams.

I couldn't get Swords Dance on Talonflame either, so to make up for it, I bought a stock of X Attacks and used them frequently.

Battle Items also helped me through many of the post game battles.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

I have used them maybe once or twice before when doing playthroughs where my Pokemon had an extreme disadvantage early. Otherwise I just sell these lol

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Never ever. Although I was tempted when facing Norman but alas. I beat him at his own game by NOT using them. ;)

Would prefer to just have a perfect moveset, tbh.

Years
In Gen VII, they double stats instead of +1, so they're even better there. You can literally throw out a drawback free SD/Iron Defense/Nasty Plot/Amnesia.

Even so, most challenges I do nowadays are no items in battle.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
These are items that enhance the stats of a Pok?mon in-battle. There are 8 of them in total: X Attack, X Defence, X Sp Atk, X Sp Def, X Speed, X Accuracy, Dire Hit, and Guard Spec.

I've literally never used these items in any game. Ever.
If you grow dependent of having these items, then you're screwed in the metagame; I think I knew that and never used them because of it.

Definitely takes away the strategy element of the game too.

Years
I think I've only ever used them when battling against Totem Mimikyu in order to beat it for the first time in Moon version.

... It felt genuinely weird doing so, like I was cheating but if it can get random stat boosts then so can I, I suppose!

Years
Nope, pretty much never. Probably did a few times during the RBY days but the games were never hard enough for me to bother with them again. Straight to the mart for sale they go B'D

Haggerella

Captain Butts
Years
I always keep a few X accuracys, and have used them once or twice, purely for the few gyms or whoever that use smokescreen or sand attack repeatedly. Been caught out once or twice and got owned by it haha

Back