• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinions on Hacking/Modding Pokémon

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 24, 2018
Opinions on Hacking/Modding Pok?mon

Personally, I don?t get what makes hacking/modding Pok?mon so bad, so long as the end result could be obtained through normal means. Anyway, I just want to know others? thoughts.

P.S. I don?t plan on discussing or rebutting, so don?t be discouraged to speak your mind. :D

Last edited:

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen today
Yeah I think it's fine to hack Pok?mon as long as it can be obtained legally. Otherwise it could take ages to get the specific Pok?mon that you want - though I understand that Game Freak has made it significantly easier in recent games. If I'm playing competitively, I'd rather not waste time trying to find a Pok?mon with the correct IVs with the desired Egg Moves and then also EV train it to the desired spread.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I take it that some of the people who put in the time to breed and raise the Pokemon they use in battle don't exactly like it when somebody else doesn't put in the same amount of work for their 'mons. Which is understandable. I also imagine that some see it as "cheating", and then so believe it is wrong.

But personally I don't give a shit if the Pokemon was hacked or genned or modified or whatever so long as it's legal. It's the battle itself that's important to me, not what went into the physical creation of the team. Breeding and training and all that is just a time delay to me, which is not something to take pride in, to me.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I'm not against hacking in a step up sense in earlier series (because of how insanely tedious it was to get a perfect Pokemon before), so to hack a Pokemon for breeding to save some time, yet still have a legit offspring with all the tedious stuff done, that I'm okay with.

But to literally hack moves and all that, just to 'win'; it's just as pathetic to me as copying a popular set to 'win'. What's the point of winning if it's not due to your own mettle? It's not like winning at Pokemon should ever be heralded as some grand achievement; it's just for fun. Obviously, one wants to win, but it shouldn't matter *that* much.

I like that at least Game Freak doesn't allow obvious hacks to participate in battles, but I've still come across quite a few teams of all shiny legendaries. Mhmm, yeah, sure those are legit.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 18, 2024
Its unfair if you use a lvl100 pokemon with all ivs and evs maxed against a player who use a legit pokemon... so... if you both agree to use hacks it's fine, otherwise not... even because with the hacks you can also use all the moves you want with any pokemon...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
For me, I would agree with the previous reply.
If both players know, then it is okay. But for me personally, I could hack Pok?mon to be anything, some games (single player) I do cheat, but in Pok?mon I like to trade or catch or breed them and train them up, so it can be annoying and spoil the fun when I have to fight someone who obviously has a hacked team they spent no effort or time on.
Like, to me, when I first bred a shiny Totodile and it had really good stats, it was really awesome. I was really excited. And against anyone who actually raised real Pok?mon, it could have chances, but not really against something hacked with perfect stats and a googled moveset and held item, with no personality or purpose other than trying to win for no real reason, and the person has no real 'theme' or anything just thinking they want to win from stuff they read.
For me the whole fun is using your Pok?mon a lot and learning what their strengths and weaknesses are yourself.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
I'm of the view that hacking in Pokemon for VGC is fine, as long as you aren't trading them OR trying to otherwise pass them off as legit. This applies doubly to some of the pain-in-the-arse Legends.

Breeding is a CHORE. It's even worse with the legend spam these days. I can't afford to SR for the Tapu I want for my team for 20 hours. I don't have that kind of time.

When playing casually with friends, make sure everyone knows you are using genned mons. If anyone isn't okay with that, don't use them. When in tournaments, just use the things. I built a VGC team from the ground up in 2016 without hacking, and even with two event Pokemon received from trades rather than being RNG'd by me, the other four STILL took 25ish hours to breed and train (and one still had a suboptimal nature). I don't have time for that.

Back