• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Game Map Off

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
It's good to know you guys have changed since last year. Your reviews were absolutely correct and every map deserved the criticism you gave it. I'd just like to offer a public apology because here I thought you guys were just screwing around like bumbling morons and playing with your love torpedoes the whole time and hoping we would forget like we did last year. I couldn't imagine you guys being so damn lazy that you wouldn't even make a paragraph for a few maps, that would be certainly be terrible if such a thing happened.

Last edited:
Years

The Official Results

colcolstyles​
The shapes of both the water and mountains in this map compliment each other in a harmonious manner, and the tree placement improves this furthermore. On the other hand, I think the shape of the sandy area at the top of the map looks…well, it looks off. Perhaps it's the fact that it looks like it's trying to be natural, but just looks off. I'm not sure. Despite this, I'd say your map is very solid, and well balances the playability and beauty factors that are needed for a great map. Great job colcolstyles!

XD003​
I must admit that I am not very experienced with maps made in the style of the previous generation's styles. Baring that in mind, I think that this map is generally nice, however empty and square in some places (I'm especially looking at the "sea" in the middle, which is very square, empty, and the rocks are unvarying in shape and size. I think this space could be shrunk and still be effective enough). The second mountain down in this map should perhaps have an additional layer that doesn't follow the shape of the base layer exactly.

I can't seem to find much more to criticise on this map as I'm, as I've already said, not experienced with maps made in Gen I/II style.

Ven​
This is a nice, fresh-looking map, with complimentary palettes and tiles that are very pleasing to the eye. I am not here to comment on tiles and palettes however, so let's get down to the actual map: it is a very nice, Game Freak-styled map and looks very official. The paths look are very well done, perhaps a little wide in some places, and this is an issue mainly because it makes the map look much more claustrophobic than is needed.

For example, the path at the central-low area of the map, below the steel-looking house could easily be one tile shorter, and work much more. I think the water that, admittedly is not seen by the player, is bordered off should be more detailed. Perhaps the deeper-water tiles could be used there? A think a flower or signpost should be used around the faded grass sign at the top of the map - that is only a minor problem - another great entry, Ven, so very well done.

Luck​
This map is a very nice map using a very nice mix of FireRed, Emerald and Ruby tiles, and the cherry blossom leaves are very nice (perhaps they would be better with darker outlines? They stick out a bit too much right now). As I've said before though, I'm not here to comment on the maps based on the tiles, so let's move on.

Although simple, this map is very effectively executed, but I think it is a tad too empty. Perhaps one more house somewhere (to be completely honest, I'm not too sure where) would help? Anyway, I think the general shape and design of this map is well done, including the beach. I'm not a fan of the mountains in the trees, though.  Either way, this is another solid map, and a nice entry.
(off-topic: nice back-story.)

DrFuji​
This map is a very nice one. The mountain/volcano blends well with the town, and the town itself, although small, is nicely done – the paths being the exception. The seem to flow badly and done lead directly to their destinations, making them seem unfinished (the path's tiles also clash, but I won't go there). I think some rocks on the mountain at the bottom of the map would be a nice addition, and give some more detail to it. On a closing note, I think that the person living next door the shrine is either very believing-in the myth, or it's positioned wrongly. Regardless, this is a very cool map, DrFuji!

ForeverRed​
I have to admit, I am not a fan of mountains disappearing into trees. In fact, in my eyes, that's a tile error. The sea in this map seems to be overloaded with rocks and looks very messy. I also do not like the 'natural' style that the trees are in. It just doesn't look good in my eyes. Furthermore, the houses all seem to have paths leading up from them which seem to go nowhere in particular. I understand if the tiles are like that by default, but surely it wouldn't take too long to edit the tiles. The mountain seems to randomly go rocky near the top which I find to be unnecessary and unneeded. Finally, I think the flower placement isn't very good, either. Well done, though, ForeverRed!

lalo0101​
It may not be overcomplicated or overexciting, but this is a nice, humble map, lalo! I think the paths may be a little overused throughout the map, however they are placed well, and look nice with the rest of the map. I think that maybe some thin trees and bushes would vary this map a little more and de-simplify it a little. It's a nice little map though. Well done.

TB Pro​
Aha! Some variety in terrain! This is a very nice snow map, TB. I like the grass and tree placement, but, as I've said before, I really do not like the idea of mountains 'dissolving' into trees. It just looks off. Also, there are some empty patches in this map. I think they could be filled with some optional sliding ice puzzles (especially to the middle-east of the map). The paths are nicely placed and the map is very playable. Well done TB Pro.

Abnegation​
Ah, I've reached the end of the maps to a nice, eye-pleasing map. Very nice tiles…

Anyway! I can tell this has been rushed, unfortunately, without having to read the comments. The mountains are lacking in detail or attractiveness and the general shape of the map is very square. The grass placement is alright, could be better, and could be worse. As for the water, I do like the way you've managed to give a continuous shape that is carried on from the mountain. It's a shame, however, that there isn't much detail on said mountain. The layers are essentially the same shape, are quite far apart, and would be much more appealing with simple details such as rocks and indents. I feel the house needs a signpost of sorts, however I am aware that adding one in would detract from the playability of the map.

Speaking of which, that is one of the best parts of the map – it is a good balance between appearance and playability – it's a decent-looking map, and a decent-to-play-in map. Good job!

Now! The winners!

In 3rd Place
...is Luck's Unnamed Emerald Map!
Spoiler:

In 2nd Place
... is Ven's Unnamed FireRed Map!
Spoiler:

And in 1st Place
...is colcolstyle's Unnamed Emerald Map!
Spoiler:

Congratulations everybody! Emblems will be given out as soon as possible! This contest is now closed!

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
LOL you got me hoping for a second t-t
And cololstyle's is my favorite also ^_^
Did you guys said he won last year? =P xP

Years
Vampire://Krimm​
So, I missed out Vampire's map. Oh well, I guess now you get a super special post to yourself, eh?

Okay, first impressions: "Wow! This map looks awesome!". But then, as I get past the tiles, that doesn't seem to completely ring true. First of all, it is far too crowded, with an overcomplicated web of paths populating a majority of the pokey space that's left after the 'natural' mountains and trees. I'm not against the shape of the mountains, in fact I think they're lovely, but they are far too compact to leave adequate room for the player to manoeuvre lower down. Some of the areas where free space is taken up by puddles should've been left as just that – free space.

I think that you didn't want there to be ANY places accessible that didn't have something there. Just imagine playing through this map. I bet my thumb would hurt after a while of putting pressure in different places to wind around the map with the D-Pad. Also, the trees are used very scarcely, and where they are used, I would say they aren't placed very nicely. I don't feel they're contributing to the shape of the map too much – perhaps removing one of the areas of mountain and just putting a little woodland to balance the terrain of the map a little more.

I must admit that this crit may be slightly biased as I do not like natural mapping much, so forgive me, but that's what I think of this map. It's very good though, so well done!

I think the final results I've posted will stay as they are, but very well done everyone, as I've said!

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I'd like to say that I agree with Spherical Ice's decisions, and, as such, would like to announce that in third, we have Luck, in second we have Ven, and in first, we have colcolstyles. Congratulations everyone!
I think I should be payed for doing this. XD

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Wow, didn't think my entry would make it in the top three. This was a great contest, and Colcol and Ven deserved first and second place. This was a fun contest, can't wait for next year's so we can see some more awesome entries ^^

I'm just going to truly apologize here since you guys got it done pretty fast after I ranted, and it really makes me seem like an impatient ass D:
The reviews all seemed pretty accurate and detailed despite only having a paragraph of writing, so kudos from me.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I was on holiday for a week and entrusted Spherical Ice. Thanks buddy, you did a great job. :)

Back