Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old May 29th, 2014 (2:32 PM).
Barely Living
  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty
Platinum, Diamond, and/or Heart Gold.

Relevant Advertising!

Old May 29th, 2014 (4:38 PM).

IMO, Platinum is hands down the best of the fourth gen.
    Old May 29th, 2014 (7:51 PM).
    oh god
    • Crystal Tier

DPPt weren't bad by any means, but I feel like HGSS wins this debate hands down. I didn't care for a lot of the new Pokemon released in Sinnoh, and SoulSilver brought back my second favorite region in Johto, so there's a bit of a bias, but I simply genuinely enjoyed playing the Johto remakes far more than DPPt. Platinum's second best, due in large part to The Distortion World and other additions.
    Old May 29th, 2014 (8:12 PM).
    all-consuming
    • Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
    I am at a complete tie between SoulSilver and Platinum to be quite frank.

Platinum gave me so much enjoyment. And yet... so much irritation.
    Breaking your chain when you get around 40 is probably the most pissed off you'll ever be, and I did that a thousand times over. I also spent well over an hour with most chains (at 40) running around, resetting the radar, running around, etc. until the shiny patch came up. Sometimes I'd ride that chain out for as long as I could before I either got sick of it, or accidentally broke it, catching as many shinies as possible with one chain.

But I also adored it's storyline and the Reverse World a huge deal. They were so well-done and amazing to me that I went through the game like 3 different times just to see it all again. I played that post-story like no other too. Battle Tower all day! >:3

SoulSilver has that nostalgic factor that's hard to beat. It's graphics are lovely and bright, the follow feature is adorable, and I found a ton of shiny Pokemon throughout my playthrough. I learned a trick regarding Secret IDs and Trainer IDs specifically for HGSS that kinda cranked up my shiny encounters. (Look it up if you want, you should find some info on what I'm talking about. Too lazy to explain right now. It might be some form of RNG manipulation, actually.)

My entire team ended up shiny by the end and it was definitely one of my most memorable playthroughs of all time. Also the Pokeathlon was so fun. :D

So ya know what? I just won't choose between them. They're both amazing and I'll pick them up any day to play again.

" Catchphrase! "
    Old May 30th, 2014 (1:55 AM).
    • Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
    Just going to move this over into the 4th Gen Help Thread. Please post any future quick questions there. :)
    Old June 4th, 2014 (1:15 PM).

since i got soulsilver ive been trying to get all my favorites together from the 1st and 3rd gen together. that means i restarted my ruby numerous times and i bought fire red to help out as well. so lately in completing ruby again i stumbled across i problem with obtaining a certain pokemon. im trying to get a snorunt but the problem is, my games battery ran itself dry so clock based events wont occur. and idk if the trading with someone else will work due to the wifi server being shut down for 4th and 5th gen. any advice from anyone?
      Old June 4th, 2014 (9:20 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
        I will be playing it in few months

Idk if it would help, but you can try restarting a game every time you get to the cave, but you would have to go through the game every time again. And its not for sure, Im just guessing.

You can trade locally. I have the same problem, so I asked my niece to get me several eggs of all the Pokemon I need so he can trade it to me once we meet.

"The future you see is the future you get."
        Old June 5th, 2014 (5:28 AM).

Yeah that works unless I get my hands on a sapphire before
          Old June 5th, 2014 (7:05 AM).

Nature: Serious
            Question about PokeTransporter:

I know the DS server was shut down a few weeks ago, and before I buy HG or SS I have a question:

I have a 2DS, so could I still use PokeTransporter and Bank to transport HG/SS Pokemon to Black 2 or White 2, and THEN to X or Y? Do you need two 3DS units, or can you just use one? Is it even possible?

Also, my cousin has a regular DS that she'd let me use (if that factors into the answer anywhere).

Any help would be appreciated.
            Old June 5th, 2014 (11:52 AM).
            The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
              You don't need internet to transfer from HG/SS to B2/W2, that transferring feature works 100% offline. You need two consoles, between the DS, the 3DS and the 2DS, any two of those will do.

Now, when it comes to transferring from B2/W2 to X/Y, you'll need a 3DS or a 2DS and an internet connection. Pokémon Bank is a 3DS app, so it doesn't use the DS servers.

Friend codes:
              Electric-type Safari: 4468-2370-5617 (Electrode - Pikachu - Galvantula) | Dark-type Safari: 1134-8222-3179 (Nuzleaf - Cacturne - Liepard)
              PM before adding. If you don't mention which code you added, I will NOT add you back.
              Old June 5th, 2014 (2:59 PM).

Nature: Serious
                Thanks a whole lot, SaniOKh!

I never got to finish playing Crystal, and I really want a Raikou but doubt I'll be able to trade for one anytime soon. (Plus the games look like lots of fun!)

Caught in Kalos, Timid, Level 100, and has earned 21 ribbons... so far
                Old June 5th, 2014 (3:44 PM).
                • Silver Tier

Since clock-based events don't work for you, I'm not really sure how you'd be able to obtain Snorunt. :( You could trying getting yourself an ActionReplay from Amazon, but that might wind up spoiling your fun.
                Old June 6th, 2014 (9:57 PM). Edited June 6th, 2014 by Andrew_3ds.

I want to trade my Flygon from SS to Diamond to get some contests ribbons, but I was wondering if I trade it to Diamond and trade it back to SS will it still remember and love me/be really happy?
                  Old June 7th, 2014 (2:40 AM).
                  likes nissans
                  • Crystal Tier

Flygon's friendship/happiness goes down to 70 when you trade it to another person/game, so I hope you're prepared for that. To answer your question, I guess no, it won't be really happy. You could always negate that with a few items like the Protein and Calcium, etc, or by taking your Flygon to Pallet Town to see Daisy in SS, or to Veilstone City to get a massage in Diamond. Alternatively you could give it a Soothe Bell, to make raising its happiness a breeze.
                  Old June 7th, 2014 (5:00 AM).
                  • Crystal Tier

Moving this over into the 4th Gen Help Thread. Please post any more of your quick questions there. :]
                  Old June 9th, 2014 (9:44 AM).

Hi~

I'm trying to migrate some pokemon from Emerald to SS via pal park. I want to transfer my shiny Raichu and Kyogre (The Raichu is the event one with surf and fly)
                    I have removed all HM moves from both and yet SS keeps telling me they have HM moves. Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance
                    ~~Sephi~~
                    Old June 9th, 2014 (4:37 PM).
                    • Silver Tier

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by SeraphSephiroth View Post
                    Hi~

I'm trying to migrate some pokemon from Emerald to SS via pal park. I want to transfer my shiny Raichu and Kyogre (The Raichu is the event one with surf and fly)
                    I have removed all HM moves from both and yet SS keeps telling me they have HM moves. Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance
                    ~~Sephi~~
                    You should try migrating them over to DPPt instead, and see how that goes. If you don't have those games, then maybe you could try replacing all their current moves with TMs; some Emerald moves might wind up considered HMs in fourth generation games due to bugs and whatnot, and this may possibly help you get past them. Good luck!
                    Old June 14th, 2014 (1:11 AM).

Am I missing out something in the Great Marsh? I mean, basically, Sinnoh's safari zone is a huge swamp, whose Pokemon in different areas are almost the same.

Nice design, but it's only a swamp, and that train thing is nice, but what for? That swamp is seriously small. The thingy with Pokemon changing daily would be great, if there wasn't only like 5 Pokemon that are actually changing every day.

Im a bit disappointed with this. I guess I am used to Kanto/Johto/Hoenn safaris where the place is full of different Pokemon, and the safari itself is huge.

On the other side, Old Chateau is my new favorite place! Amazingly done!

Old June 14th, 2014 (10:57 AM).
                      The Original

Nature: Brave
                        hey guys i'm running into a issue and maybe someone can help..

i have a level 19 tyrogue (bashful nature) and i'm trying to get a hitmonchan. i have already given tyrogue about 7 iron's, and i have a rare candy to give it that boost to 20. however everytime i do it, his attack is always 1 up on his defense, which would give me a lee. i need help because i really want a chan and i have no idea what i should do from here. help please.
                        Old June 14th, 2014 (8:15 PM).
                        oh god
                        • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Sven View Post
                        Am I missing out something in the Great Marsh? I mean, basically, Sinnoh's safari zone is a huge swamp, whose Pokemon in different areas are almost the same.

Nice design, but it's only a swamp, and that train thing is nice, but what for? That swamp is seriously small. The thingy with Pokemon changing daily would be great, if there wasn't only like 5 Pokemon that are actually changing every day.

Im a bit disappointed with this. I guess I am used to Kanto/Johto/Hoenn safaris where the place is full of different Pokemon, and the safari itself is huge.

On the other side, Old Chateau is my new favorite place! Amazingly done!
                        You're not missing anything really, it's just important to know that Pokemon will appear based on many variables, including the time of day and their rarity level. If you find yourself seeing the same Pokemon over and over, trying adventuring early in the morning, or late at night. Also, if I remember correctly there's a trick you can do with the Dual-slot feature if you're using a handheld that allows you to catch Arbok.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Jaysfinest1 View Post
                        hey guys i'm running into a issue and maybe someone can help..

i have a level 19 tyrogue (bashful nature) and i'm trying to get a hitmonchan. i have already given tyrogue about 7 iron's, and i have a rare candy to give it that boost to 20. however everytime i do it, his attack is always 1 up on his defense, which would give me a lee. i need help because i really want a chan and i have no idea what i should do from here. help please.
                        Did a bit of research on this, and there's not much you can do other than feed it vitamins until its defense is higher than its attack. :[ I suggest breeding Tyrogue until you get one with a Nature that lowers its Attack stat if you're still having trouble, though of course that wouldn't benefit Hitmonchan's offensive capabilities once it evolves. You could also hunt Pokemon that raise defense EVs - a list of those can be found here.
                        Old June 15th, 2014 (3:08 PM).

Alright, another question.

I just caught Giratina. I love the game so much but I feel like there could be more. How much of the story is there left? Am I done with Team Galactic. I know there is still one more badge and Elite, plus three legendaries (Azelf/Uxie/Mesprit), but besides that, is there anything else I should look forward to? Dont tell me what, just tell me am I finishing the game at this point or there's still stuff to do. ( not counting in story-aside things like chaining etc)

Old June 15th, 2014 (11:01 PM).
                          likes nissans
                          • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Sven View Post
                          Alright, another question.

I just caught Giratina. I love the game so much but I feel like there could be more. How much of the story is there left? Am I done with Team Galactic. I know there is still one more badge and Elite, plus three legendaries (Azelf/Uxie/Mesprit), but besides that, is there anything else I should look forward to? Dont tell me what, just tell me am I finishing the game at this point or there's still stuff to do. ( not counting in story-aside things like chaining etc)
                          I'm guessing this is Platinum. You don't have that much for the actual story as it goes as of now. You've caught Giratina, which means Galactic's done for the time being, so there isn't much to do right now. For the aftergame however, you have quite a few things to do, like the Battle Frontier and the tidbit of after story when done with the Pokemon League. Platinum has far more to do for late/after game material than D/P does, so I'm sure there's a bunch to do. On top of that, I think there's a few more Pokemon that you can catch after game (more roaming legendaries, iirc), so there's that!

In short, you don't have anything besides the remaining gym and Pokemon League, but things to do after you're done.
                          Old June 18th, 2014 (10:07 AM).
                          Hmm.

Long time no post.

I really want to play the gen four games again but I sold my copies a few years ago. Does anyone know anywhere that still sells these games new? I have OCD so pre-owned isn't an option and I don't trust eBay sellers as it's rife with fakes.
                            Old June 19th, 2014 (6:52 PM).
                            • Crystal Tier

I see them regularly in Big W, Target, EB Games, JB HIFI, but I'm not too sure if you have any of those stored over there. Mind you, while the stored do have them, they're often hidden behind other more popular games on the shelf, so I'd suggest you do a bit of rummaging before you give up looking in one store and move onto the next.

But yeah, they should have them somewhere! Persistence!

I see them regularly in Big W, Target, EB Games, JB HIFI, but I'm not too sure if you have any of those stored over there. Mind you, while the stored do have them, they're often hidden behind other more popular games on the shelf, so I'd suggest you do a bit of rummaging before you give up looking in one store and move onto the next.

But yeah, they should have them somewhere! Persistence!
                            Old June 22nd, 2014 (5:11 AM).
                            • Crystal Tier

Nature: Quiet
                            So it's Sunday today, and I should be able to get a TM from the lady at the Goldenrod Department store. However, I showed her my Quilava, which is max happiness, and I didn't get anything, she only talked about how some TMs are perfect for certain Pokémon. However, this wouldn't be my first time talking to her - I got TM27 for Return from her previously, but I used it on my Fearow, which, along with three of my other Pokémon, just died against Chuck (I'm doing a Wedlocke). So I only have two Pokémon in my party, Quilava and Furret. (I haven't chosen replacements yet.)

Do I need to have a full team or something, or can I only get the TM once? Because I know that you can buy TM27 for Return in the post-game at Celadon City, so i'm curious about this. Thanks!

Quick Reply