• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Sorry Branellope, just discussing retypes isn't enough to break it off of the main Fairy thread. You can keep up that discussion here though!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Mawile just (probably) confirmed Fairy Type along with its new Mega Form. Absol I think stayed Dark.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Hopefully that Mega evolution of Mawile's give it high enough stats so that it can be one of the best dragon slayers around.

I don't see much in stat changes now that there are 6 of them, and the fact that these are battle only forms apparently. Mawile still needs some Physical Fairy attacks to even become a decent Dragon check same with Azumarill.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I don't see much in stat changes now that there are 6 of them, and the fact that these are battle only forms apparently. Mawile still needs some Physical Fairy attacks to even become a decent Dragon check same with Azumarill.
That's true. However I anticipate there'll be decent physical fairy moves, not sure if there'll be 120 power moves though...hopefully the type doesn't have moves that are mostly 90 or less like Ghost and Dark...

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I don't know if it has been said or misread by people and I don't really want to look through all the new posts, but according to Pokebeach, Mawile's normal form has also become Steel/Fairy.

Now that I read this, I think Xander basically said that about 5 posts ago, but oh well.

Years
That's true. However I anticipate there'll be decent physical fairy moves, not sure if there'll be 120 power moves though...hopefully the type doesn't have moves that are mostly 90 or less like Ghost and Dark...

I do have to admit most Ghost and Dark attacks were mainly weak outside of certain Legendary-exclusive signature moves. Also, Ghost's attacks are mainly special or status-based. Same with Dark, although more physical rather than special.

I could probably see most Fairy moves be special and status-based, there might be some physical moves too but I think they'll be less common. But I have to say Mawile's newly-gained Fairy-type will turn it into a total wall to Dragon moves, which would definitely give it new uses in battle.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I was really glad when I saw that Dedenne is Electric/Fairy. I am definitely going to use it on my team so I can use Fairy and Electric moves in battle. It looks like Raichu which got me thinking that Pikachu would make a good Fairy type but I doubt they will change its typing. I am also glad they changed Mawile to Fairy/Steel because I feel that it is a neglected pokemon and this new typing may increase its popularity.

Years
I wonder if they'll change any more. According to this month's corocoro the type chart will appear next issue. Hopefully they'll also include a complete list of the ones retyped to fairy too.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Eh, a bit late to the party, but I'm gonna be honest here, I'm really happy they added a new type in this generation! I don't know how I feel about it being a "fairy" type, because it just feels so... out of place. But then again, if it'd been Dragon type we'd received in this generation, and Fairy type we started out with, I think I would've felt the same way. And I don't really blame them when it comes to creativity, I imagine it'd be hard coming up with a logical typing, that people would still like, that they could make strong against Dragon. And it's a selling point! Which kid doesn't love cute fairies? None I tell you!

But yeah, can't wait to see where Game Freak goes with this typing, and how the fans are gonna react once they find out how they function in battle/what more fairy types we get to see :p

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
Oh fairy.

I personally dislike the type's idea. Not that they're fairies since fairies are total bosses, but how Game Freak is portraying fairies.

In folk tales, fairies are beings of trickery and mischief but also possess magic and are rather majestic.

But apparently fairies are now large puffballs of cotton candy with cute little puppy faces, a pink big beaked bird with super cute desu desu eyes and a squishy blue mouse.

Great Arceus! Do these little abominations graceful and mischevious? No, they're just purposely full of cuteness! A fairy isn't just light and fluffy, and fairy is more than that!

Game Freak, do some research! Your making dragons look pathetic for having their tails whooped by these adorable little monsters! Are you just trying to appeal to the female gender!? It ain't working, pals!

If none of the Fairy types are majestic (other than Xerneas, who is a true boss),tricky and quick like really pixies not just bow-wearing, lip gloss-applying balls of fluff and sparkle then I will facepalm so hare my face will bruise.

Design doesn't matter when it comes to battling, but I will be rather annoyed if I discover every Fairy type other than the main legendary of Pokémon X is meant to be cute.

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
I see. I didn't know that. The more you know.

But horses aren't graceful either! The only graceful ones are the My Little Ponies but even they are more illogical that graceful!

And Fairy's color is almost guaranteed pink. Since it's seen on almost every Fairy type released so far!

Years
Well, there's Mawile to represent the deceptive type of fairy. I'm assuming that the fairy-type is explained by Mawile being based on a Japanese legend, the futakuchi-onna.

Once I saw Mawile's Bulbapedia page and learned about it being based on the Futakuchi-onna, I was definitely expecting it to gain a Fairy-type back in June when the type was officially unveiled. Now it is actually true. And nice to see the new Pikaclone also be a Fairy-type, Dedenne may not look Fairy-like but again loads of Fairy-type Pokemon have "cute" appearances.

The next CoroCoro will be revealing the new type chart with the Fairy-type, and I'm hoping it is weak to Steel and Poison like what various rumors claimed. Come on Game Freak, I'm begging you.

Years
Once I saw Mawile's Bulbapedia page and learned about it being based on the Futakuchi-onna, I was definitely expecting it to gain a Fairy-type back in June when the type was officially unveiled. Now it is actually true. And nice to see the new Pikaclone also be a Fairy-type, Dedenne may not look Fairy-like but again loads of Fairy-type Pokemon have "cute" appearances.

The next CoroCoro will be revealing the new type chart with the Fairy-type, and I'm hoping it is weak to Steel and Poison like what various rumors claimed. Come on Game Freak, I'm begging you.
If we assume Fairy's only strong against Dragon and weak against Steel and Poison Mawile we do pretty good as Steel is immune to poison and Steel moves aren't super effective against steel types so it'll get normal damage (1x) from Steel moves...I can see more Dragons having fire and ground moves to destroy MegaMawile.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
If we assume Fairy's only strong against Dragon and weak against Steel and Poison Mawile we do pretty good as Steel is immune to poison and Steel moves aren't super effective against steel types so it'll get normal damage (1x) from Steel moves...I can see more Dragons having fire and ground moves to destroy MegaMawile.

Well actually we can assume Fairy is also good against Dark and Ice as well.

Since the type list comes out next month, would it be too presuptuous to start speculating what we think the type effective chart would be like?

When they added types to the list in the past there was some shifting. Kinda hoping they remove Ghost's Bug resistance. Make Ice have more resistances like to Water....

As for Fairy: Strong against Dragon, Dark, Ice (just going with these three)
Weak to: Steel (cause of legends), Poison (Smash showed), Flying (Some stories, they feared birds or couldn't travel during strong winds. Not a lot to go off of, but something I can see)
Resists: Fire, Water, Grass, Ground (Basic elements of sorts, a lot of fairies revolve around these elements or themes.)
Resisted by: Steel (Same as above), Ghost (A brother in the ethral domain. Spirits usually didn't interact with Fairies openly, but Fairies respected the spirits and worshiped them.), Psychic (Occult things mostly. Psyonics just don't seem to be something that should be bothered by Fairies.)

Immunities: Can't really say I can see many possible immunites generally, Fairies were always fairly weak creatures that survived through mischivous deeds and would attach themselves to a stronger power for protection...despite intent of creation, I can't really see them having immunites.

Oh...and lets keep this somewhat civil. No completely destroying other people's ideas. I know I won't agree with a lot of what people post concerning the Fairy's type match up. Just post your ideas and ignore what you don't like seeing rather than confronting the poster and starting a fight.

Lets speculate for fun on the type chart. This means I promise not to argue with anyone who posts their's...we'll all just post our ideas, and why we see it that way if you want to. Nothing more, can't really correct anyone on these...no reason we need to cut each other's throats.

Years
Well actually we can assume Fairy is also good against Dark and Ice as well.

Since the type list comes out next month, would it be too presuptuous to start speculating what we think the type effective chart would be like?

When they added types to the list in the past there was some shifting. Kinda hoping they remove Ghost's Bug resistance. Make Ice have more resistances like to Water....

As for Fairy: Strong against Dragon, Dark, Ice (just going with these three)
Weak to: Steel (cause of legends), Poison (Smash showed), Flying (Some stories, they feared birds or couldn't travel during strong winds. Not a lot to go off of, but something I can see)
Resists: Fire, Water, Grass, Ground (Basic elements of sorts, a lot of fairies revolve around these elements or themes.)
Resisted by: Steel (Same as above), Ghost (A brother in the ethral domain. Spirits usually didn't interact with Fairies openly, but Fairies respected the spirits and worshiped them.), Psychic (Occult things mostly. Psyonics just don't seem to be something that should be bothered by Fairies.)

Immunities: Can't really say I can see many possible immunites generally, Fairies were always fairly weak creatures that survived through mischivous deeds and would attach themselves to a stronger power for protection...despite intent of creation, I can't really see them having immunites.

Oh...and lets keep this somewhat civil. No completely destroying other people's ideas. I know I won't agree with a lot of what people post concerning the Fairy's type match up. Just post your ideas and ignore what you don't like seeing rather than confronting the poster and starting a fight.

Lets speculate for fun on the type chart. This means I promise not to argue with anyone who posts their's...we'll all just post our ideas, and why we see it that way if you want to. Nothing more, can't really correct anyone on these...no reason we need to cut each other's throats.
I know you said this is just for fun but I can't help but nitpick that you mention it being strong against Dark when you've said in the past it wasn't 4x super effective to Hydreigon xD. Sorry just had to say it lol.

Here's mine:

Weak: Steel, Poison, Ice
Immune: Dragon
Resists: Flying, Fire, Ground, Rock, Water, Grass
Resisted by: Steel, Dark, and Ghost

Back