• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Favorite Sinnoh Starter?

What's your favorite Sinnoh starter?

• Turtwig

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Piplup

Votes: 24 28.9%

• Total voters
Years
I went for Piplup the first time around, and I was really disappointed at its evolution :( They had lost their cuteness. But I really disliked Chimchar and did not really care about Turtwig
Recently however, I saw some nice fanart of Torterra and I grew to love it a lot. So I went with Turtwig :3

I can see your opinion on Piplup's evolutions reminds me of Masamitsu Hidaka (Pokemon anime storyboard artist) saying the real reason why Dawn never evolved her Piplup in the anime was because he claimed that both Prinplup and Empoleon were ugly and unsuitable for contests.

But then again, like you I did change opinions over time, except Chimchar became my fave instead of Turtwig.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
I can see your opinion on Piplup's evolutions reminds me of Masamitsu Hidaka (Pokemon anime storyboard artist) saying the real reason why Dawn never evolved her Piplup in the anime was because he claimed that both Prinplup and Empoleon were ugly and unsuitable for contests.

But then again, like you I did change opinions over time, except Chimchar became my fave instead of Turtwig.
I also felt that was the reason dawn stuck with Piplup too, and none of the other starters have cute evolutions :/
I think it's weird the girl in the next movie has a Piplup. Why did they bring it back? They're so many cool Pok?mon to choose from that got very little screen time ;~;

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
ohhh, I dunno! I am partial to all three, to be honest. And they are great to use in battle, too. Hmm. I suppose Chimchar tops the three for me? Because of Infernape.

blue

gucci
Years
it's only tough between Piplup and Turtwig for me. While initially when I first played Diamond I chose Piplup, over the years I've warmed more towards Turtwig which is why I'm kinda split on the two. I'd probably say I slightly prefer Turtwig to Piplup rn.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
Definitely Turtwig, since I'm "that grass starter guy." The designs of every gen IV starter is just soo good though. While they may not be that great competitively, hot damn are they cool.

BROK3NxPOKEMON

Pokemon Veteran
Years
Overall definitely turtwig. i feel hes a reskinned bulbasaur with an ever so slightly different move set.. either way i can set a torterra up to be as powerful as my venasaur.. downside is i think he looks a bit silly.. appearence wise its gotta be piplup... who doesnt love a penguin XD

Umbrachu

Wants a cookie.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 31, 2021
Piplup because Dawn's Piplup was so cute, and it evolves into Empoleon which is not attractive, but a very solid Pokemon that ends up a staple of my team.

DarkestMidnight

[color=black][b][font=Shadows Into Light]Demon Sla
Years
Turtwig not only because I love grass types, but also because Diamond was my first Pokemon game ever and I was with Turtwig since the beginning. That Turtwig also became my first level 100 pokemon :)

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
Usually I'm more of a Fire type fan, but Turtwig will always have a special place in my heart for being my very first Pokemon I've have ever had since Diamond has been my first Pokemon game.
I remember choosing him because at the time we had a pet turtle in our house and I've always imagined him as if it was my turtle in the game. {XD}

Years
I always chose Turtwig back in the day. I don't know why? There's a story to why I chose Turtwig in my first playthrough, but i'm too lazy to type it. My vote goes to Turtwig. I think it's a cute 'mon too.

But hey props to Piplup for being a penguin. I love penguins in general.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 29, 2019
It would easily have to be Chimchar for me. Not only for the diverse movepool, but because it's a silly monkey.

Years
I wasn't really crazy for D/P/P at all. I have struggled to get past the 5th badge because I usually get bored. I would maybe say Torterra was my favorite with the Chimchar line being one I didn't like at all.

Wyntilda

[span="font-family: 'times new roman'; letter-spac
Years
Turtwig will always have a special place in my heart; basically plowed through the entirety of Platinum with Torterra. :P

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 10, 2023
It's hard to decide because I like'em all of three, but in my opinion I choose Turtwig.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years
I love penguins, and Piplup's line, so my choice here is fairly easy. That being said though, I do have a soft spot for Turtwig, having used it in my Pearl run. Plus, my brother and I used to come up with adventures for our characters, and he'd always have a passive, grass grazing Turtwig. Good times ^^

eragon00

Dancing Spyder
Years
Usually I would start off with Fire or Grass types in Pokemon, but for gen IV, I like turtwig because the last evolution Torterra is strong like a Tank.

Back