• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen why do people hate gen 5 so much???

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 21, 2017
It's because people like chandeliers and ice cream until it becomes a Pokemon. (Also plz tell me what person likes trash bags bursting full of garbage?)
I'm not insulting gen 5 tho. Pokemon White was my first Pokemon game. 5/6 year old me loved Pokemon then and I still do. In my opinion, gen 5 has the best music out of any Pokemon game, which is saying something because gen 4 and gen 7 were good in terms of music. Also many good Pokemon came out of gen 5 like Zoroark, bisharp, krookidile, braviary, hydreigon, samorott, and many more.

Years
It's because people like to point out it's flaws that I think aren't even all that at all. I personally respect all the designs of Pokemon and if they tell me a garbage bag or an ice cream are bad design choices, I would throw back at them saying an electric Pokeball or a pile of sludge are pretty bad design choices, but hey, it is what it is with these people. As for me personally, back then I couldn't wait for Black/White to release, so much that I had a crappy emulator to play the Japanese ROM around 2010. The memories, the hype was real for those games.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
To be fair it was inevitable they were always going to add garbage... I mean they DID add Muk & Weezing within the first gen - literal garbage was always going to be the next step. Just a few years later! Honestly I think Garbodor is cool and I think more people hate the gen because of the vanilla line lol but then we have Magnemite soooooo...!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
From what I've seen, it's mainly the Pok?mon that are hated. BW are widely regarded to have the best story of the games, and the characters and region are fairly popular. B2W2 are also very popular games, especially for their postgame content.

But, the Pok?mon roster gets heavy criticism for having odd designs (ie. trash bag, ice cream cone), several Pok?mon that are obvious expies of older ones (ie. Woobat, Throh/Sawk, Bouffalant, Audino), lots of Pok?mon with poor stats/limited movepools, and continuing Gen 4's trend of having loads of Legendaries. A lot of people also didn't like being forced to use the new Pok?mon in BW, as well as none of the Gen 5 Pok?mon having evolutionary connections to previous ones (see people being disappointed when Alomomola wasn't a Luvdisc evolution).

I think BW were also hurt by simply releasing so soon after the nostalgia-heavy HGSS. Many of the people who bought BW were veterans who had gotten back into the series with HGSS (and had likely not previously played a game since Crystal or RS, if not even earlier), so they got a major shock from BW's hard reboot.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 19, 2022
I have played Gen 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, and I believe Gen 5 was the best storyline-wise. Pokemon, I think the only memorable ones are the snivy line, deino line, larvesta line, litwick line and maybe joltik line (which is a decent amount of pokemon, imo). Anyhow, had the gen pokemon been a complete mess, I think I would've still rated it high because of how in love I was with the story.

Unlike the previous gens, the supposed-top of the evil team is N, a guy with intensions so good that at some points I even felt like my views aligned with him more. Like I think a separate franchise could've been totally viable had the roles of the MC and N been swapped. I'm just in general a sucker for characters who aren't, for lack of a better term, black-or-white. N was just that, a character with a different point of view trying to find how the world should operate.

So even if I did play Gen 1 as a kid, I don't consider myself a Genwunner. The bad-and-good was too clear in those games, which I think was just a basic start for pokemon as a franchise to get rolling :P

JoanXXX

I swear I am not a weeaboo
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 21, 2018
Yeah, gen 5 is my favourite too. Most peoples arguments are that "they were scraping the bottom of the barrel" and "The pokemon were awful". (I don't agree with these arguments)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
Honestly, the Pokemon aren't the problem for Gen V for me. I actually like a lot of them, even if some of them are a bit... Weird looking.

My problem is just the story and the region. Unova, especially in B/W, is just not a pretty region to look at. It was just so industrialized and dull looking; I get that it was based off of New York City and New Jersey, but still.

As for the story... Well, to be honest, I think it's less that I disliked the story, and more that I just disliked N. I found him incredibly creepy and unsettling... And I guess all the ship art with him and Hilda didn't endear him to me, either. But, yeah. Since the whole story revolved around N, it just made me dislike the game in its entirety.

That being said, I do really like B2/W2, even though I've only played it once! I think that it fixed most of the problems B/W had for me. But at the same time, I feel like B2/W2 was too little too late, especially since Gen VI came out a year later.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
For people defending generation 5 here like seriously, everyone are entitled to his or her own opinions so you can chill up and accept the differing opinions of your's instead of having to attack others for not liking this generation.

The cities looked really weird to me in Unova as well as the moving sprites of the Pokemon really looked overly awkward for me when they were first revealed. I just didn't like them but I forced myself to play the game so I can migrate all my Pokemon to X when I had to. I still doesn't like how the in game looked.

Storyline was great, the nerfing of older generation Pokemon was good since I am always using new Pokemon in each new game, but that's it. Can't say I feel much for this generation; it's last in my ranking for all the generations, but yeh, I don't hate it but I don't particularly love it.

I've started trying to use the generation 5 Pokemon when I was on X and now Moon and UltraMoon and trust me, I love the Pokemon, the sprites movements were just horrible to me back then.

Last edited:

Eco

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 24, 2020
I already heard this before and yes, the storyline is complex, good characters, great evil team. Even the graphics are much more intense and advance in this point so basically BW and BW2 are almost perfect.

But, I think they don't. The Unova Region didn't say too much, it's pretty normal I guess and, even if there are good characters like N o Ghechis, I consider the game very plane, cold, with little sparks here and there but no so much consistent to be a great game with hours and hours of joy, because it's not. At least for me.

In fact, the 5GEN contain (for me, personally) the worst Pokémon of all.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I don't care for much from Unova, but the main thing was the Pokemon. A lot of the designs were really bad. It's not the fact that they had so many inanimate pokemon it's that they were designed poorly. Prior generations had inanimate pokemon too, but they were so simplistic it worked. Gen 5 was more on the cartoonish/outlandish side which felt unlike pokemon at that point in time. But of course they weren't all bad, I def took some favorites from the region.

As for the story yeah it was better than the typical pokemon story line, but i never thought it was anything great still

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 14, 2018
Because people hate Garbodor, even though it's a cleverly designed Pokemon. I can't call it boring or ugly when there are bad ideas e.g. Electrode and the Eeveelutions. And Arceus. Can't forget Arceus.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
i don't undestand too,for me is my favorite gen :V

Same :3 well, second favorite, but still. I think the games were really nice. I know the pixelate images can throw some people off and the Pokemon designs aren't the best (as said by others, personally I like many of them).

Years
Same :3 well, second favorite, but still. I think the games were really nice. I know the pixelate images can throw some people off and the Pokemon designs aren't the best (as said by others, personally I like many of them).

I do agree with you, but I do think the Pokemon designs are pretty good. Given this was the first generation to not have a Japanese-influenced region and having Westerners design the Pokemon (especially James Turner with his factor in creating a few evolution lines of this gen) definitely made the designs feel different from anything that came before.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 28, 2018
Because people hate Garbodor, even though it's a cleverly designed Pokemon. I can't call it boring or ugly when there are bad ideas e.g. Electrode and the Eeveelutions. And Arceus. Can't forget Arceus.
Garbodor is a true monster imo,I love that thing,people forget this thing is just over 6 foot tall and thats pretty freaky,its also is pretty popular in the TCG,but I think thats more to do with how it can be used.

Gen 5 wasnt bad,my most hated pokemon design wise is Gloom so go figure.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
One person I asked who dislikes this generation says that it's "paced too slow", and example being Burgh's gym, and Team Plasma being "dumb".

Also, "durr ice cream durr trash bag durr generic duck durr".

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
Gen 5 is one of my favorites! I love its design, its music (except the three musketeers shuffle-esque music, which annoys me), the fact that the postgame has so many new locations, the sweeping story which actually gives gym leaders something to do, the fact that is has a coherent sequel, the seasons, the dark/light grass and shaking grass/bubbling water thing, the PWT and white treehollow/black city, and there are so many well-designed pokemon (even some I didn't like at first, like Klingklang, I now really like and I don't mind the ice cream and garbage lines at all).
I will say though, that the first time I played the games they felt weird, like not pokemon-y. Something about the battle screen (the sprites, both how they look and how they are animated, but also the background) which feel cheap and kind of suck tbh. I also felt like some designs didn't look like pokemon (haxorus comes to mind) but I no longer mind that., Overall, I think these games are amazing.

Back