Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Ad Content

#26   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 1 Week Ago (6:28 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Dragon.
lover of milotics

Nature: Gentle
Hot take: I kinda don’t like it when people expect too much from Ash’s Pikachu. Like all Pokémon, Pikachu loses here and there because Pikachu will only be as strong as he can get. That being said, he does have some great moments! But I think people forget that it’s not as strong as a legendary Pokémon, for instance.
  #27   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 1 Week Ago (6:55 PM).
Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    Hot take: I kinda don’t like it when people expect too much from Ash’s Pikachu. Like all Pokémon, Pikachu loses here and there because Pikachu will only be as strong as he can get. That being said, he does have some great moments! But I think people forget that it’s not as strong as a legendary Pokémon, for instance.
    Yeah, I'd buy that claim if it weren't for the fact that he practically one-shotted a Regice owned by a trainer who owns multiple legendaries by himself back in Battle Frontier. Maybe in Kanto, Johto, and Orange Islands, or, heck, even Hoenn, I could buy the idea of his not being as strong as a legendary Pokémon, but after how he defeated Regice, which last I checked was a legendary, I'd argue he's definitely strong enough to at least compete with them if not outright beat them.
      #28   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 1 Week Ago (1:04 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Dragon.
    lover of milotics

Quote:
    Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
    Yeah, I'd buy that claim if it weren't for the fact that he practically one-shotted a Regice owned by a trainer who owns multiple legendaries by himself back in Battle Frontier. Maybe in Kanto, Johto, and Orange Islands, or, heck, even Hoenn, I could buy the idea of his not being as strong as a legendary Pokémon, but after how he defeated Regice, which last I checked was a legendary, I'd argue he's definitely strong enough to at least compete with them if not outright beat them.
    The problem is, the writing for how strong Pikachu is isn’t consistent, even after that battle. What about the times it lost to Panpour, Poliwrath, Electivire, and tied with Elekid and Pelliper?

Your point is just adding to my point where Pikachu does have better moments than most other Pokémon, but it’s still a stretch to expect too much from it, except maybe in more critical moments.
      #29   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 1 Week Ago (1:10 AM).
    from pallet town

I agree with Shawn. I mean to reflect on that there's been many, many times when we battles where the supposedly underdog wins and the character with experience loses (May's first ribbon win is one moment as i just watched it. Although it did have the advantage it definitely wasn't as experienced but it won against the more experienced Medicham.) Wasnt a legendary, but still.

I think people just pick on Pikachu more because its been with us for so long and so at this point people expect him to win every battle but thats not how it works in the Pokemon Anime.

Sure, Pikachu has won against Legendaries but that shouldn't be a catch-all for every battle. Different trainers, different techniques, pressure... theres so many variables we see in battles that we see shouldn't have one battle be a deciding factor for every battle. In fact, just because we've seen Pikachu fight and beat a legendary Pokemon doesn't mean that others haven't either (nevermind the fact Ash is a Legendary Magnet).

Tldr; one win against legendary shouldn't be a determining factor for every battle after.
      #30   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 1 Week Ago (5:11 AM).
    Banned

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Ash View Post
      I agree with Shawn. I mean to reflect on that there's been many, many times when we battles where the supposedly underdog wins and the character with experience loses (May's first ribbon win is one moment as i just watched it. Although it did have the advantage it definitely wasn't as experienced but it won against the more experienced Medicham.) Wasnt a legendary, but still.

I think people just pick on Pikachu more because its been with us for so long and so at this point people expect him to win every battle but thats not how it works in the Pokemon Anime.

Sure, Pikachu has won against Legendaries but that shouldn't be a catch-all for every battle. Different trainers, different techniques, pressure... theres so many variables we see in battles that we see shouldn't have one battle be a deciding factor for every battle. In fact, just because we've seen Pikachu fight and beat a legendary Pokemon doesn't mean that others haven't either (nevermind the fact Ash is a Legendary Magnet).

Tldr; one win against legendary shouldn't be a determining factor for every battle after.
      Maybe not, but Legendaries are not exactly pushovers, so beating them would give one some really serious street cred. Heck, even managing to catch one isn't exactly common and thus would bolster one's street cred. Even an untrained/"rookie" Legendary is still notoriously difficult to take down even among veteran trainers. That's another problem I have. I mean, I can understand if Pikachu just delivered the final blow after other Pokémon on Ash's team softened it up a bit, but after effectively single-handedly KOing it? And with barely much effort? I'm sorry, but that just doesn't work as an explanation, especially regarding "expecting too much" of Pikachu.

Besides, even "underdog" messages have a tendency to backfire and instead of making the heroes seem impressive as a result, just makes the opponents look pathetic. Just look at Team Rocket, for example. Even though, technically, Caterpie was an underdog against Team Rocket, it's win didn't make Ash look impressive, and if anything just resulted in JJM being considered bottom feeding trainers both among fans and in-universe (based on some of Misty's barbs and even some COTD's comments).
        #31   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 1 Week Ago (8:16 AM).
      from pallet town

Well, i suppose thats why what Shawn says is an unpopular opinion. :) i dont agree with you (but i rarely do so lol) re: pikachu because i feel like youre missing some points but i cbf trying to get you to see my side on anything anymore.
        #32   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 1 Week Ago (4:47 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Quiji.
      Love Bites

Nature: Hardy
        I have no issues with Pikachu's battle inconsistencies since the show's a hot mess with that in general and it won't ever change. But I do roll my eyes when Pikachu or any of Ash's other Pokemon lose because of Ash's stupid decisions, like when he had Charizard use Seismic Toss on Dusclops...
          #33   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 5 Days Ago (3:14 AM).

as long as it serves its viewers with the adventure and story its viewer comes looking for its good to go. In my opinion pokemon does that with an ease no season it is.

Quick Reply