Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Ad Content

#51   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old November 16th, 2018 (1:50 PM). Edited November 16th, 2018 by Quiji.
Love Bites

Nature: Hardy
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tigertron View Post
    It also doesn't help that Pikachu's level seemingly resets with every generation and Ash has trouble battling rookie trainers.
    Pikachu's resets are needed, though. If he had kept a steady growth and power level from OS until now with no downgrades, he'd end up one-shotting practically all his opponents, which would be ridiculous from a writing standpoint since his matches would become anti-climactic and predictable.

The only alternatives to resetting him that I could see would be: a) having Ash use him less and only against extremely tough opponents; but this would be somewhat counterproductive in a way given that Pikachu's the mascot and therefore needs to battle regularly, or b) introduce power creep and put Ash's opponent's Pokemon in each new region on the same skill level as his Pikachu or stronger, although this would backfire on Ash's new Pokemon since they'd be way weaker than Pikachu at the beginning, so they'd have to train even harder to catch up.
      #52   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old November 16th, 2018 (9:10 PM).
    Banned

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Entei Fan View Post
      I doubt that, Gary/Shigeru is bassicly Green/Blue and we ALL know how he acts

Sure he helps pokemon in generation 4 but he's bassicly android saga Vegeta, a selfish prick

Even Silver learned that hurting pokemon is wrong despite being Sasaki's son
      Yeah, I'm doubtful Gary would qualify as the Vegeta of any saga, let alone the Android saga (actually, come to think of it, none of Ash's rivals would have qualified for one good reason: None of them sought to prove their superiority to Ash due to a chip on their shoulder from being beaten. Actually, ironically enough, Ash himself matched Vegeta in that regard). Besides, Gary never ditched his Pokémon when showing either any weakness from losing or, heck, if it had a poor performance overall DESPITE winning, while Paul was rather notorious for doing that with his Pokémon. Actually, if Paul was comparable to ANY trainer, it was Damian, aka, Ash's Charizard's ex-owner who deceived it into getting itself killed in a rainstorm.
        #53   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old November 17th, 2018 (4:30 AM).
      She's so beautiful :D

Ash should confess that he like's Dawn in some point in the anime.

Pearlshipping should be made 100% official 'cuz pearlshippers are awesome people :D

I didn't make this but its wonderful and beautiful :3 x3

Hiyo, i'm Jirachu~<3 Kawaii Pikachu and Jirachi cross, though now my favorite Pokemon character is Korrina; and I crush HARD on her lemme tell ya lol :3
      Jackster is a good friend of mine on this forum so be nice to him please.
      I wanna make other good friends here too ^_^
      Being girly is wonderful!!!!! :D

Kimi is my big sister and i'm a pokemon fan 4 life :3
      http://thekorrinafanklub.proboards.com/
      Please join my forum :D
        #54   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old November 18th, 2018 (1:40 PM).

Nature: Calm
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
        Pikachu's resets are needed, though. If he had kept a steady growth and power level from OS until now with no downgrades, he'd end up one-shotting practically all his opponents, which would be ridiculous from a writing standpoint since his matches would become anti-climactic and predictable.
        While I somewhat agree with this, it still seems completely ridiculous to lose to an inexperienced Snivy.

Yeah, I take every chance I get to vent about that.
          #55   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old November 18th, 2018 (2:20 PM).
        Pokémon World Champion

Nature: Naughty
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by RickGrimes View Post
          While I somewhat agree with this, it still seems completely ridiculous to lose to an inexperienced Snivy.

Yeah, I take every chance I get to vent about that.
          Except Snivy wasn't inexperienced, as it already knew Leaf Tornado and had already evolved the next time Ash met it a few days later

"But Pikachu should've defeated it anyway!"

Sure, except without its electricity, it had no stamina and by the end of the battle was visibly panting and sweating

"But it still knew Iron Tail and Quick Attack!"

See previous statement about zero stamina
            #56   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old November 18th, 2018 (3:46 PM). Edited November 18th, 2018 by weedle_mchairybug.
          Banned

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Twilight-kun View Post
            Except Snivy wasn't inexperienced, as it already knew Leaf Tornado and had already evolved the next time Ash met it a few days later

"But Pikachu should've defeated it anyway!"

Sure, except without its electricity, it had no stamina and by the end of the battle was visibly panting and sweating

"But it still knew Iron Tail and Quick Attack!"

See previous statement about zero stamina
            1. Ah, last I checked, Snivy alongside Trip were literally just starting out on their first journey at all, let alone together, when they fought (and beat) Ash for the first time, just exited the regional Pokémon Lab. That points to it being inexperienced, period. It knowing a high-level attack doesn't mean it's experienced. Or do I have to remind you of how Pikachu knew high-level attacks in the first episode even though it and Ash were explicit rookies. Now, maybe if he were like Paul and it's made clear that he was not from Unova, I'd at least roll with the idea that he was at least experienced enough to give Ash a hard time. But as it is, Trip and his Snivy were both inexperienced.

2. Since when does Iron Tail require stamina? Last I checked, that wasn't a move like, say Double Edge, where using the attack drains your own HP via recoil. Quick attack, I can sort of understand due to low stamina resulting in a loss of speed, and speed being essential for a move like Quick Attack, but Iron Tail definitely doesn't work like that, just results in a hardening of the tail to deal a heavy blow to the opponent, and it doesn't even need electricity either.

And quite frankly, I also consider it ridiculous that Ash's Pikachu would lose to two rookie Pokémon after beating a Regice single-handedly and with minimal effort, oh, and also a person who doesn't even DO Pokémon training anymore due to retiring to take over the family business. Slightly below the Snivy incident, but still pretty ridiculous.
              #57   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old November 19th, 2018 (10:04 AM). Edited November 19th, 2018 by Entei Fan.
            Canine pokemon fan

Nature: Gentle
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by LadyJirachu View Post
              Ash should confess that he like's Dawn in some point in the anime.

Pearlshipping should be made 100% official 'cuz pearlshippers are awesome people :D
              I prefer AshxMisty but AshxDawn works too, specially since she is voiced by Minnie's VA and previously by Twilight Sparkle's VA in the polish dub

Quote:
              he'd end up one-shotting practically all his opponents
              You meant that Ash's Pikachu isn't a weakling? O_o

Original nick - BH
              Name - Bartek
                #58   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old November 20th, 2018 (2:23 PM).
              Cat Burglar

Nature: Relaxed
                I don't get why the Snivy argument is still used, as if fans hadn't learned by BW that Pikachu gets weaker at the beginning of each new saga naturally. Zekrom coming in was just the cherry on top that helped seal Pikachu's loss against Snivy, but Pikachu would've lost even without that extra handicap thanks to PLOT.
                  #59   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old November 20th, 2018 (3:37 PM).
                Banned

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Alloute View Post
                  I don't get why the Snivy argument is still used, as if fans hadn't learned by BW that Pikachu gets weaker at the beginning of each new saga naturally. Zekrom coming in was just the cherry on top that helped seal Pikachu's loss against Snivy, but Pikachu would've lost even without that extra handicap thanks to PLOT.
                  It still comes across as stupid. At least justify the loss by making clear that Trip is about as much of a veteran as Ash, and even have him use an evolved starter to prove the point. That would at least neatly allow Pikachu a loss to indicate there are bigger fish without making him look weak and humiliating him.
                    #60   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old December 1st, 2018 (10:20 AM).
                  Canine pokemon fan

Nature: Gentle
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                    Yeah, I'm doubtful Gary would qualify as the Vegeta of any saga, let alone the Android saga (actually, come to think of it, none of Ash's rivals would have qualified for one good reason: None of them sought to prove their superiority to Ash due to a chip on their shoulder from being beaten. Actually, ironically enough, Ash himself matched Vegeta in that regard)
                    OK i was kinda wrong, Red is no doubt Goku since he trains his pokemon to be number 1 and his good at heart, while Green/Blue is Vegeta since he's all cocky and tries to be number 1

Original nick - BH
                    Name - Bartek
                      #61   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old December 1st, 2018 (2:38 PM).
                    Love Bites

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Alloute View Post
                      This. If anything, Zekrom's meddling made Ash's loss less ridiculous than it could've been had Pikachu lost to Snivy at full power.
                        #62   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old December 1st, 2018 (8:15 PM).
                      Banned

Quote:
                        This. If anything, Zekrom's meddling made Ash's loss less ridiculous than it could've been had Pikachu lost to Snivy at full power.
                        Eh, not really. Yes, Zekrom basically draining Pikachu of its electric attacks was a factor, but you're forgetting that he had access to two attacks that didn't even require electricity to use, such as Quick Attack and especially Iron Tail, any one of those would have been enough to take down Snivy.
                          #63   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old December 14th, 2018 (4:16 AM).

I've had trouble with this perception, and literally everything I could come up with wasn't so much improving the character as it was wrapping up his loose ends because I felt like they took him as far as he could go short of an actual ending to his story.

Granted, there are the new films in a separate continuity as well; I haven't seen them yet, but maybe they're shaping the character in their own way. Probably was the way to go about it; start from scratch if he must be kept.
                            #64   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old January 2nd, 2019 (12:18 PM).
                          Top Percentage of Ratattas

Nature: Quirky
                            Is it too late for me to chime in? Some things I'd like to improve about Ash is have him age, actually win a Pokemon league for once, and maybe replace him with a fresh character. Honestly I like Ash and his bonds with his friends and Pokemon are amazing. However, I think the Pokemon anime could benefit by following someone new. They could still have a Pikachu or any other mascot Pokemon and follow their adventure around the new region. I think that would be a lot of fun. Ash has overstayed his welcome. He's a good character but be needs to achieve his dream and pass down the torch to another new and upcoming trainer. That's just my two cents
                              #65   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old January 2nd, 2019 (1:53 PM). Edited January 2nd, 2019 by weedle_mchairybug.
                            Banned

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Enigmatic_Owl View Post
                              Is it too late for me to chime in? Some things I'd like to improve about Ash is have him age, actually win a Pokemon league for once, and maybe replace him with a fresh character. Honestly I like Ash and his bonds with his friends and Pokemon are amazing. However, I think the Pokemon anime could benefit by following someone new. They could still have a Pikachu or any other mascot Pokemon and follow their adventure around the new region. I think that would be a lot of fun. Ash has overstayed his welcome. He's a good character but be needs to achieve his dream and pass down the torch to another new and upcoming trainer. That's just my two cents
                              Well, to be fair, Ash DID technically win a Pokémon league once: The Orange Islands league. That being said, though, he has yet to win an actual league from the games, and that's part of the reason I actually have very high hopes for him to actually win Alola's league (and it is definitely going to have a league. SM043 all but confirmed it). They had the perfect opportunity to have him win in Kalos, and they blew it.

And yeah, he most certainly should age. Heck, the notes for Pallet Party Panic by Hideki Sonada in The Memorial Book of Orange Islands actually implied that Ash DID in fact age, since it said something along the lines of "What's that? The Spearow who appeared in the first episode and gave Ash and Pikachu such a hard time has evolved into an Fearow and is attacking them!? They say that you normally tend to forget things after one year." And don't get me started on Pikachu and Pichu, which dealt as the plotline Pikachu and Ash's anniversary of the day they met, which was his birthday.

And honestly, if removing him means actually allowing him to accomplish his goal, go on ahead and remove him. We barely got ANY indication on his goal until DP (even winning a league didn't seem to cut it since he continued his journey in Johto despite winning the Orange Islands).
                                #66   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old January 2nd, 2019 (5:14 PM).
                              Most powerful being in fiction

Nature: Careful
                                Honestly if ash was just like tai from digimon and had some character development.

It would make Pokémon better.

If only Pokémon followed digimon then we would have a better show.

Ash is a (f word) idiot. He never learns from anything.

He never ages.

He never has caught any legendarys

He isn’t heroic as he just keeps on collecting and collecting

He has a harem full of girls

Honestly he is the reason why Pokémon anime is horrible compared to digimon anime

I am the One Above All. I see through many eyes. I build with many hands. They are themselves, but they are also me. I am all-powerful. My only weapon is love. The mystery intrigues me.
                                  #67   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                Old January 2nd, 2019 (6:04 PM).
                                Banned

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Pokedigifan1178 View Post
                                  Honestly if ash was just like tai from digimon and had some character development.

It would make Pokémon better.

If only Pokémon followed digimon then we would have a better show.

Ash is a (f word) idiot. He never learns from anything.

He never ages.

He never has caught any legendarys

He isn’t heroic as he just keeps on collecting and collecting

He has a harem full of girls

Honestly he is the reason why Pokémon anime is horrible compared to digimon anime
                                  Well, to be fair, he'd probably be allowed to learn stuff if the writers weren't so adamant on level/character resets. Other than XY, the closest he's gotten to actually showing his aptitude and intellect as a trainer was in Johto.

As far as legendaries, again, to be fair, Regis aside, trying to capture them pose catastrophic risks if the movies are of any indication, so capturing them would not have worked anyways. Still, wouldn't have hurt to at least evolve Pokémon and actually keep them.

Wasn't fond of the whole "non-aging" bit, especially when commentary from the writers as well as Pikachu and Pichu effectively implied that he DOES in fact age.

I won't comment on the whole harem of girls bit (wasn't fond of May and Dawn at all, Misty was fine, and Iris I'd argue made an adequate successor to her, Serena was in the gray area, and it's hard to tell whether Lillie, Mallow, or Lana are even main characters), though replacing them, especially for "eyecandy" reasons, was stupid.

I'm not fond of Digimon at all, yet even I have to agree that the Pokémon anime right now is inferior to Digimon right now.
                                    #68   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                  Old January 2nd, 2019 (6:16 PM).
                                  Most powerful being in fiction

Nature: Careful
                                    Quote:
                                    Well, to be fair, he'd probably be allowed to learn stuff if the writers weren't so adamant on level/character resets. Other than XY, the closest he's gotten to actually showing his aptitude and intellect as a trainer was in Johto.

As far as legendaries, again, to be fair, Regis aside, trying to capture them pose catastrophic risks if the movies are of any indication, so capturing them would not have worked anyways. Still, wouldn't have hurt to at least evolve Pokémon and actually keep them.

Wasn't fond of the whole "non-aging" bit, especially when commentary from the writers as well as Pikachu and Pichu effectively implied that he DOES in fact age.

I won't comment on the whole harem of girls bit (wasn't fond of May and Dawn at all, Misty was fine, and Iris I'd argue made an adequate successor to her, Serena was in the gray area, and it's hard to tell whether Lillie, Mallow, or Lana are even main characters), though replacing them, especially for "eyecandy" reasons, was stupid.

I'm not fond of Digimon at all, yet even I have to agree that the Pokémon anime right now is inferior to Digimon right now.
                                    Are you not fond of it because your one of those Pokémon fans who think digimon is a rip-off

I am the One Above All. I see through many eyes. I build with many hands. They are themselves, but they are also me. I am all-powerful. My only weapon is love. The mystery intrigues me.
                                      #69   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                    Old January 2nd, 2019 (6:21 PM).
                                    weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is offline
                                    Banned

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Pokedigifan1178 View Post
                                      Are you not fond of it because your one of those Pokémon fans who think digimon is a rip-off
                                      Guilty as charged.
                                        #70   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                      Old January 23rd, 2019 (4:59 PM). Edited January 23rd, 2019 by strangerhypno.

Ash would be a decent character and good role model for children if they hired writers that passed fifth grade level writing. Honestly it's not that hard, I bet some people from fanfiction sites can write better and they aren't so called "professionals" that the anime staff supposedly is. And the anime is severely restrained by its transparent goal of advertising the franchise first, and everything else like story, arcs, characters being not as important. Every work of fiction has the potential to be good in my opinion, if the writers have the skill and are passionate about it which obviously the anime staff doesn't have.
                                          #71   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                        Old January 24th, 2019 (4:57 PM).
                                        Love Bites

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by strangerhypno View Post
                                          And the anime is severely restrained by its transparent goal of advertising the franchise first, and everything else like story, arcs, characters being not as important.
                                          Tbh, if I was in the same position as the show's writing staff and production team, I can't say that I'd change this since it's obviously paid off well for them and their wallets.
                                            #72   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                          Old January 25th, 2019 (5:00 AM).
                                          Banned

Quote:
                                            Tbh, if I was in the same position as the show's writing staff and production team, I can't say that I'd change this since it's obviously paid off well for them and their wallets.
                                            I'm not too sure about that... Maybe back in Kanto or Johto where it did have pretty high ratings, I'd agree, but after its huge ratings plummet starting with AG, and made worse from BW onward, they're more likely to LOSE money on the anime than actually gain money.
                                              #73   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                            Old January 26th, 2019 (7:30 PM). Edited January 26th, 2019 by Quiji.
                                            Love Bites

Quote:
                                              I'm not too sure about that... Maybe back in Kanto or Johto where it did have pretty high ratings, I'd agree, but after its huge ratings plummet starting with AG, and made worse from BW onward, they're more likely to LOSE money on the anime than actually gain money.
                                              Are you actually suggesting that the anime isn't profitable? Because while I obviously don't have the show's earning reports in my hand, I'm 99.999999% confident that every saga up till now (even after the ratings decline) has made tons of cash, otherwise we wouldn't even have a Pokemon anime on the air right now.

I mean, my entire point was that even though the anime is flawed, it's still sustaining itself even while being a disappointment, which is why I personally wouldn't make any big hypothetical changes if I were in charge.
                                                #74   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                              Old January 26th, 2019 (11:04 PM).
                                              Banned

Quote:
                                                Are you actually suggesting that the anime isn't profitable? Because while I obviously don't have the show's earning reports in my hand, I'm 99.999999% confident that every saga up till now (even after the ratings decline) has made tons of cash, otherwise we wouldn't even have a Pokemon anime on the air right now.

I mean, my entire point was that even though the anime is flawed, it's still sustaining itself even while being a disappointment, which is why I personally wouldn't make any big hypothetical changes if I were in charge.
                                                When it has a massive ratings decline, it means it LOST money, not gained money. I mean, yeah, sure, it made them tons of money. But then again, so did the Disney DTV sequels for Disney, yet no one can deny that those movies helped bring about the dork age for Disney in the 2000s and led directly to Eisner's ouster among other things. Besides, I can name plenty of shows that got cancelled precisely BECAUSE of a loss of ratings, such as Maureen, West Wing, Heroes, heck, even Bleach (and bear in mind, that last example was a Japanese anime).

And who says the anime was the cause of profits? Last I checked, the Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, and Sonic games are still profitable despite the DiC cartoon adaptations being cancelled long ago.
                                                  #75   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                                Old January 28th, 2019 (6:04 AM).
                                                RickGrimes RickGrimes is offline

Nature: Calm
                                                  Hopefully there will NEVER be a repeat of his battle with Elesa. Even by Ash standards, that was embarrassingly atrocious. Five regions in, he should know that bringing one Pokemon to a gym battle is never a good strategy.

Sure, Palpitoad's type is an advantage, but what happens when that advantage is lost? Makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall.

Quick Reply