• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What type of Pokémon player are you?

What type of Pokémon player are you?

• Total voters

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
To clarify my question, what I mean is what's your primary way of playing Pokémon? For example, do you play Pokémon to enjoy the storyline and the adventure that the games guide you through before beating the Elite Four? Do you primarily play the game competitively? Are you a shiny hunter? Do you play the game primarily to catch Pokémon and/or complete the PokéDex? Maybe all of the above, or some of the above? Personally, I mostly play Pokémon for two reasons, which are to catch as many Pokémon that I can and to battle competitively. In addition, what aspect of Pokémon do you least concern yourself with? Me personally, I don't really care too much for shiny hunting. What about you?

By the way, I missed any Pokémon player "types," feel free to let me know and make some suggestions!

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
I mostly focus on the in-game campaigns but via the lens of challenges.

But I suppose that's mostly because the games aren't exactly hard to me anymore after all these years, with a few exceptions, I'm looking at you Ultra Necrozma. Thank God for Focus Sash

I personally don't care a lot about competitive. I'll watch influencers doing competitive stuff but it's not really my cup of tea per se, except maybe RandBats? Those can be fun every once in a while.

Years
if the shiny hunting method isn't too complicated, then that's what i usually go for. i also really only care about battling, but only if the post-game is engaging enough and not (insert battle tower clone here). in most pokemon games, i progress through the story up until post-game and stop there, unless there's something fun postgame that interests me, but that hasn't been the case for a while, unfortunately.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Other.

My favorite way is playing through the main story, enjoying the world, party building, and RPG elements, while approaching important battles with a 'competitive' style and rules (level caps, Set battle style, no more Pokémon than the opposing trainer, held items only, EV training if the difficulty calls for it, etc). That's why I like rom hacks and fan games with a bigger focus on challenging battles that have some of these and other features built-in.

Years
I don't play for the story so I guess that's out.
I also don't care about competitive so that's out too.

Dex Filling and Shiny Hunting are things I do, but when a new Pokemon game comes out the most important thing for me is just exploring it and finding new favorite Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Went with Main Storyline Player. Fits the best. Primarily enjoys beating the main story with self-imposed restrictions. Describes it as less about the battle itself, but more about planning, optimization, and embarrassing the game. How do you leverage the available Pokemon and items the most? Can you afford to keep this Pokemon unevolved for now? Is it feasible (and very useful) to EV train, obtain a wild hold item, or get a Hidden Ability? Can you showboat even with these restrictions?

Does not really care about shiny hunting or competitive. Will probably never use the shiny. Dislikes dealing with other people too much to get into competitive. Never looked interesting from the planning side either. Foresees either preparing for the same teams repeatedly or relying on a general plan due to too many possibilities. Involves some workshopping too, certainly. Still does not look fun for long.

Years
Very much a catcher and trader type, also love legendary hunting. That said im kinda loose on it cause the only pokedex ive ever completed was legends cause it was sinple. I just cant be assed with stupid evolution requirements lol

Years
Main story, catching 'em all, and shiny hunting! Though admittedly I have become worse at that middle one over the years, especially as the dex got trimmed down and my motivation to collect everything dwindled a bit. I'm hoping to complete the dex for SV when it comes out.

Shiny hunting and experiencing the story are my main enjoyments. <3 Especially if shinies of favorites end up being good. Please make Sprigatito's good!

pkmin3033

I'm the kind of player who complains endlessly about the franchise but at the same time can't stop buying and playing the damn things, haha.

Generally speaking though, I go for dex completion these days. I'm tired of Gen III's narrative and that is all Pokemon has had since Gen III, I don't really have the patience for shiny hunting (although I have dabbled in it from time to time, soft resetting for Legendaries in USUM was rewarding for a time), and I hate PvP in games generally so there is no appeal whatsoever to competitive battling for me. But I've always liked collecting things, so I tend to go for dex completion in the games.

Years
I like pokemon for its variety and imo it's one of its best perks. So, I enjoy a lot of the aspects of the game. I like to get deep on the lore and the story, I like to complete the dex and "catch them all" and I also enjoy competitive battles (doubles, the vgc main format). I don't really shiny hunt. It's something I'd like to do for very few pokemon, but it takes much time, so I have never truly done it, even if I bet the satisfaction is great when you finally find the shiny.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 9, 2023
I really like all of the Pokémon interactions and distractions like contests, Amie/Refresh/Camp, area exploration, the Underground, the Battle Towers, Join Avenue, and Pokéstar Studios.

I used to not really care about completing the dex, but after finishing it for the first time in Sword, I've been trying to see if I could pull it off several more times.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I don't care about pokedex nor competivie play, I'm more of a leisure player who enjoys the story and game overall.

Back