• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Where does sixth generation land among your favourite generations?

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 4, 2018
I'd say 6th gen. is probably my least favorite, but on the grounds that I loved every game and I don't think it was a bad game and I played it a ton...I wasn't super fond of ORAS, though, in my personal opinion, there were a lot of things they failed to change to work with the Special/Physical split (A similar complaint I had with HeartGold/SoulSilver), but I did enjoy the new content and the fact that the legendaries are collectible in it...X/Y, on the other hand, were a blast...

I didn't like Team Flare at all, but I loved the customization and I honestly think it was dealt with better in X/Y than it was in Sun/Moon...Loved a lot of the things gen. VI did for the mechanics, although I couldn't get into competitive that Gen...New breeding mechanics were an Arceus-send, though...

I thought the story with Looker and the young girl in this one was cute...And I loved the post-game of ORAS...

What did you like about it?...Is it your favorite?...

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I will be counting remakes as the origin generation because I haven't played anything before Generation 4.

1. Generation 4: Played Diamond, Platinum. They were challenging and a blast to play. +1 for nostalgia too lol.
2. Generation 2: Soul Silver was a fantastic game filled with content, and again, nostalgia.
3. Generation 6: Pokemon Y got me back into Pokemon and I played that game for hours. The story wasn't great, but I had so much fun playing that I didnt really care.
4. Generation 7: Sure USUM hasn't come out, but I thought SM were fantastic additions to the Pokemon franchise as a result of the quality of the new pokemon, story telling, and diverse region.
5. Generation 3: I am not going to lie, I did not enjoy Omega Ruby as much as I should have. I thought it was kind of boring. I completed the game of course, but I just did not think it was very impressive.
Unranked: Generation 1 and Generation 5. I haven't played any games of these generations, nor any remakes of them (I know Gen 5 doesnt have remakes, but Gen 1 does).

So Gen 6 ranks #3 on my list of favorite generations. That sounds about right. But Im going to replay Y, so perhaps it might rise or fall depending on my enjoyment the second time around.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Least favorite. I found mega evolution to be a huge mistake, X/Y having terrible plots/undeveloped characters, and the only saving grace was OR/AS.

Years
Gen 6 is my least favorite generation. A combination of shallow characters, easy gameplay, and a bad after game made me dislike them. ORAS were pretty good RSE remakes though, but it sucks that they couldn't include the battle frontier.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
I'd say 6th gen. is probably my least favorite, but on the grounds that I loved every game and I don't think it was a bad game and I played it a ton...I wasn't super fond of ORAS, though, in my personal opinion, there were a lot of things they failed to change to work with the Special/Physical split (A similar complaint I had with HeartGold/SoulSilver), but I did enjoy the new content and the fact that the legendaries are collectible in it...X/Y, on the other hand, were a blast...

I didn't like Team Flare at all, but I loved the customization and I honestly think it was dealt with better in X/Y than it was in Sun/Moon...Loved a lot of the things gen. VI did for the mechanics, although I couldn't get into competitive that Gen...New breeding mechanics were an Arceus-send, though...

I thought the story with Looker and the young girl in this one was cute...And I loved the post-game of ORAS...

What did you like about it?...Is it your favorite?...

Yes, gen 6 is my favourite generation. It brought me back into the Pokemon world, big time.
I LOVED ALL of Kalos' Pokemon . I also loved the Kalos region and its lure and I think it could be better if it had its own 3rd version to make justice with it, like it should have been but oh well. Not to mention the AMAZING Hoen remakes, ORAS. RSE were my first Pokemon games and to get back into Hoen with the amazing 3d was an awesome experience

Years
In the running for the top. One of the reasons I think fondly of gen 6 is because I really enjoy opportunities to get closer to Pokemon. I felt as excited as Harry Potter did riding Buckbeak the first time I got on the back of a gogoat in Kalos or soared over Hoenn on Latios.

For me Poke Amie is not a chore to get through just to make pokemon evolve or get higher experience points, but a beautiful and meanigful way to spend time with your pokemon which we have XY to thank for. The same is true for me with the Contest Spectacular Oras. Its is a way to make a fun life alongside your pokemon thats an alternative to battling.

The titles that score high on my lists tend to be the ones that give me more intimate interactions with my mons like being able to walk and talk with them and be part of the Pokeathalon in HGSS or even Black/White with musicals, pokestar studios and a message about exploring how Pokemon are treated in the world. This is probably because my first game was Pokemon Yellow where Pikachu followed me around, and I could talk to it and watch its animation, I think it forever shaped my taste in Pokemon games.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
Gen 6 is my absolute favourite Gen, it has some of my favourite game mechanics such as Soaring, Hordes and 3D gameplay. The environements were absolutely stunning, and trainer customization was a feature I always dreamed of having in a Pok?mon game. It also had some of my favourite Pok?mon, such as Pumpkaboo, Sylveon and Skiddo. I keep playing X over and over without ever getting bored, as opposed to BW/B2W2 that I barely wanted to finish, and SuMo that got boring at my 3rd playthrough.

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
Years
since gen 3 was my fave before I would consider gen 6 either my new nr 1 or my second fave because of oras mostly them being a remake of my fave region

Years
Least favourite generation.

XY's plot was certainly... interesting and rather dark in tone, but something about it really failed to capture my interest. While I wouldn't say it was awful (because it isn't, actually), it wasn't spectacular, either. XY (and ORAS as well) also failed to deliver on any meaningful post-game whatsoever, which was a huge let down (at least in ORAS you could kill time by catching legendaries, but that's it).

Generally speaking, although I liked my journey through Kalos, I don't think it was anything... special, y'know? When I played through Sun and Moon, I was awe-inspired at how everything was different; the graphics, new characters and their personalities and depths. XY kind of felt like the same old same old but in weird 3D-ish graphics (at least, compared to SM, lmao).

To sum it up: the only remotely interesting thing about sixth generation was the features introduced: Pokemon-Amie, Super Training, PSS and the like that were great additions. Other than that, it wasn't really anything exciting.

If ORAS included more aspects of Emerald such as the Battle Frontier, then I think XY's faults would be mitigated simply because ORAS would've been 10x more fun, but alas.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Gen 6 had some really great stuff in it like Soaring, trainer customization, PSS, DexNav, O-Powers, breeding becoming more accessible (ORAS is likely the best game to breed on in the series)....I think I'm forgetting something else.

But X/Y also had an awfully-executed main story (and it irritates me even more because I think that the story had some potential) and its post-game is, overall, very lackluster. ORAS's story and post-game is, while a step up in comparison to the original Ruby/Sapphire, not a lot better than X/Y either. And these are also hugely important points to me, and so that's why they will never be my favorites.

It's a little hard for me to give an exact ordering and placement for gens, but I will at least say that it's below 4th and 5th gens, but above 1st and 7th gens (though for the latter we will see if Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon do anything to change this).

Also, there is the funny bit how X/Y and ORAS post-games overall are meh but then somehow also have some of the best (imo anyway) singular post-game activities in the series so far: the Looker Missions and the Delta Episode.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
Gen 6 had some really great stuff in it like Soaring, trainer customization, PSS, DexNav, O-Powers, breeding becoming more accessible (ORAS is likely the best game to breed on in the series)....I think I'm forgetting something else.

But X/Y also had an awfully-executed main story (and it irritates me even more because I think that the story had some potential) and its post-game is, overall, very lackluster. ORAS's story and post-game is, while a step up in comparison to the original Ruby/Sapphire, not a lot better than X/Y either. And these are also hugely important points to me, and so that's why they will never be my favorites.

It's a little hard for me to give an exact ordering and placement for gens, but I will at least say that it's below 4th and 5th gens, but above 1st and 7th gens (though for the latter we will see if Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon do anything to change this).

Also, there is the funny bit how X/Y and ORAS post-games overall are meh but then somehow also have some of the best (imo anyway) singular post-game activities in the series so far: the Looker Missions and the Delta Episode.

I think that if we had a 3rd version of XY, the plot and post game could have been way better, like they did with Emerald and Platinum. But I still like the plot and the region's lure. More than SM's

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
2nd least favorite if we're talking about just the first games of a gen. Add in remakes and it gets.... complicated.

Years
First I'll say...
I like all pokemon generations and regions.
Each one does have its strength and weaknesses.
I dont hate any region... or generation.

I'd have Kalos/Gen6 as my 5th favorite....

1st Johto
2nd Unova
3rd Sinnoh
4th Alola
5th Kalos
6th Hoenn
7th Kanto

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I have great memories with gen 6! (Oras doesn't count, does it?)

I only played Y once since I copleted the pokedex and other stuff that I don't want to do all over again. Since I've only play it once, I can't really fully say how it compare with the others, but for now in term of games it is probably 3rd place, or 4th.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Gen VI is my 2nd least favourite.
XY just felt bland compared to Gen V imo. Team Flare was generic and rehashed RSE/DPPt's doomsday plot, while the rivals were a definite step back from Gen V's rivals. Cheren, Bianca, and Hugh had personality and character development, unlike Shauna/Trevor/Tierno imo. The difficulty was also nonexistent, even by Pok?mon standards. ORAS, while better than XY, had some questionable changes that I'm not too thrilled about.
Of course, there's some aspects that I liked. It introduced some great designs like Aegislash, Pangoro, Trevenant, etc. And customization was a neat feature that people have been wanting for ages. Personally, Kalos is in desperate need of a revisit and redemption.

That said, my list looks something like this:

• Gen III
  • Gen IV
  • Gen II (started with Sapphire, so I'm basing this off HGSS)
  • Gen V
  • Gen I (based off FRLG)
  • Gen VI
  • Gen VII

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
Gen VI is my 2nd least favourite.
XY just felt bland compared to Gen V imo. Team Flare was generic and rehashed RSE/DPPt's doomsday plot, while the rivals were a definite step back from Gen V's rivals. Cheren, Bianca, and Hugh had personality and character development, unlike Shauna/Trevor/Tierno imo. The difficulty was also nonexistent, even by Pok?mon standards. ORAS, while better than XY, had some questionable changes that I'm not too thrilled about.
Of course, there's some aspects that I liked. It introduced some great designs like Aegislash, Pangoro, Trevenant, etc. And customization was a neat feature that people have been wanting for ages. Personally, Kalos is in desperate need of a revisit and redemption.

That said, my list looks something like this:

• Gen III
  • Gen IV
  • Gen II (started with Sapphire, so I'm basing this off HGSS)
  • Gen V
  • Gen I (based off FRLG)
  • Gen VI
  • Gen VII

Could u elaborate what are the questionable changes that were made in ORAS? =]

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Gen 6 is far better than gen one and two. It can be considered better than gen 3. Might have to tie it with gen 4 and 7. Gen 5 is the best.

Back