• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Make ORAS more challenging

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2022
So I really like ORAS but I have played it and Emerald like 3 times each, so I want to play it with different pokemon that you can just encounter in Hoenn. Of course, I am going to turn off the experience share and change switch mode to "set".
So any ideas how I coud switch up my team or make game more interesting? I know wondertrading is a option but more often than not you get zigzagoons and what not.

Last edited:

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2022
I have nuzlocke Hoenn several times, so that would be nothing new. It would be just playing with wurmples, wingulls and zigzagoons again.

Playing with single type could be interesting tho. :)

Bruno Buccellati

Arrivederci
Years
Monotype runs are pretty fun. They force you to really dig deep for type coverage, using pokemon you normally wouldn't dream of using in a normal run, just because it can take on a gym. Just make sure you pick a type with a lot of pokemon in the game, unless you plan on taking pokemon from other games. Otherwise, you might find yourself stuck with 2-3 pokemon for the entire game (e.g, a fire monotype run gives you a grand total of 2 evolutionary lines to use throughout the entire game)

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2022
Yeah, somehow fire types are more rare than dragon types. Not sure how that makes sense but okay. XD

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Maybe try to choose your team beforehand and keep it to a maximum of second-stage full evolutions; nothing like an Aggron or Ludicolo would really fit, for example. I'm about to do this myself, actually, and I think I might have to trade to make it possible since many aren't available early on, but this is going to be my team:

Altaria
Banette
Glalie
Grumpig
Seviper
Illumise

I also went with a little bit of a type and color theme, with cool colors and out-of-the-ordinary types taking center stage. I'm really trying this with the specific intent of elevating difficulty, and my goal is to beat the E4 through the second time with this team, and maybe Wally's highest leveled team as well. You're already getting rid of the EXP share, and that does most of the job - a Set battle style also increases difficulty exponentially in many games.

Alternatively you could just impose Nuzlocke-lite rules on yourself, but that's really tedious in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2022
Setting a theme certainly sounds cool. Maybe I can try that. :)
Not sure if I would to keep my pokemon in their second stage forever, but maybe I can keep them there until they learn all their useful moves. :)

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I know when I do a Wonderlocke, I do play with the dupes rule. If I already have something I'm allowed to trade it back off until I get something I don't have.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
A single stage Pokemon only play through probably would be more challenging, Hoenn is chock-full of them.

I use them more than three staged Pokemon cause it's more fun than KOing everything with a overleveled, overpowered Salamence or Gardevoir.

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2022
Single stage playthrough sounds interesting, but I have never been a fan of them. Plus they feel overpowered at the beginning, but grow weak towards the end.

Back