• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Pokemon Essentials D/P/Pt

How would you like to see this project play out?

• Rethink the project and Close the Thread

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Fantastic Ideas (It would be great to see you post about these on the thread!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

herolester

Kellar
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jan 20, 2018
Pokemon Essentials D/P/Pt

Hello!

This Project Is No Longer Continuing

PM Me If You Wish To Discuss.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Pokemon Essentials D/P/Pt

Hello!

I'm still pretty new to this site to just bare with me while I figure a few things out.

I'm a Game Developer and I'm well practiced with Pokemon Essentials and RPG Maker XP.

After playing around with a few scripts and resources I decided to create this project. I haven't found any current decked out sets for Gen 5 games in Pokemon Essentials, so I'm giving myself this challenge.

This is a DISCUSSION thread, I would like to see your ideas on this project first and foremost because i'm doing this for all of you. What features would you like to see within this project. I wont shut down your ideas because anything is possible.

Thanks for your support :)!

Essentials BW 3.0.0 (Something like that?) is a quite complete project for gen 5. I don't know exactly how much it has to offer, but it's one of the better-known projects.

I know a lot of people are against new kits, because of compatibility with stand-alone scripts from people who create custom scripts and what not. It also causes the kit to become outdated. You could then say that you'd update it, but that gets tedious. It also causes people with outdated scripts to run to the original creator of the script, while the issue is somewhere with compatibility our it's a known and fixed bug, even.

At that, I personally don't recommend making a new kit, as cool as it is. If you want to, go ahead, though. I'm not here to stop you. Just to warn you about the risks and annoyances scripters might get such as Luka S.J. I'm pretty sure he's not a great fan of new kits because he gets old bugs and what-not.

herolester

Kellar
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jan 20, 2018
Hello.

I was definitely aware of the effects my projects would have on the community and how people would Recieve them. I definitely appreciate your feedback and I'll take it on board. However, I will still continue this process.

I may or may not have accidentally written gen 5 instead of gen 4.. :P

As for annoyances, if the community doesn't take to my project well I will rethink it. I've used BW 3.0 and it is definitely something I don't know if I can amount up to. This was merely to speculate with the community what I could do and see if anybody was for the idea.

Upon inspecting the reactions to this thread I may just go to producing Tilesets that may otherwise be unavailable to the community as I feel gen 4 and BW2 tilesets are out there, however a complete set isn't there and I'd like to create something like that. This project was a big leap into the dark so creating a full scope thing would definitely be time consuming and maybe even worthless. I am a student, so that says enough to many people already about what I can do time wise with my projects.

While this may not take off I hope I can contribute something to the community and help people create something they can be proud of.

Thanks for your feedback!

Years
You can always make custom scripts for essentials without making a whole new project.

Also, if you are making tilesets (or compiling them). Try to make something like the example below. This way, we can keep track of what we are using and from who. On deviantart, you can see various tilesets that have a generic credit list. Looking at them, you will see that some of the artists have gone MIA and you are unable to check if they trully had public resources. 2nd it helps making a credit list with the people that actually contributed for the game rather than a bunch of "strangers" (lack of a better word).

^crap english =/

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 5
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 9, 2017
I'm quite happy about this to be honest because whilst Gen 5's sprites and graphics are beautiful, they aren't very easy to make. So if you were going to add new pokemon then you have a bit of a problem. I like the idea and I hope for success but I wonder what pros you will have over Pokemon Essentials BW.

Another question I have is how you plan to do it? I've been trying to figure out how to emulate Gen 4 style myself and I'm actually very curious because there isn't exactly a tutorial on the subject.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but Essentials' entire design language is based on the 4th generation of Pokemon. Heart Gold and Soul Silver to be more specific. And some might argue that newer is better, so HGSS > DPPt. So unless you want to make a dual screen styled interface for Essentials, it is actually completely up to date. Difference being that Essentials is confined to a single screen layout, which also makes sense in its own right.

I understand that the resources used in the OW development of the engine are still based on FR/LG, and that is due to Maruno being inclined to using official graphical resources, rather than splicing it from fan made tiles and what not (a notion I can agree with).

I can actually dig what you're trying to do, and I will echo a little of what M3rein said. I think instead of bundling together an entire kit that would be a separate entity from base Essentials is a bad idea. Like ... really bad. It causes a lot of conflicts when it comes to other 3rd party resources, it puts in additional pressure to keep the new kit up to date, and it confuses the hell out of the userbase when they come to face whatever issues. I'd strongly advise against that route. Make your resources as plug and play as possible. Not as an entire kit meant to replace base Essentials. This will make it much easier on both you and the rest of the userbase to keep your resources up to date, as well as fully functional. Take it from someone with experience.

Also, I have some resources (I think both DPPt and HGSS) when it comes to formatted RMXP OW spritesheets that I could give you. If you haven't already, I suggest joining PC's Discord server, and look me up on there for more details. My VMs and PMs here are disabled for personal reasons.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 9, 2017
Then again, if anyone knows what they're doing, it's Luke and M3rein so despite my curiosity, I don't mind changing my stance to support theirs. They've been around longer and probably know better and what the community actually needs if you want to contribute and great tiles are always a nice thing.

herolester

Kellar
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jan 20, 2018
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but Essentials' entire design language is based on the 4th generation of Pokemon. Heart Gold and Soul Silver to be more specific. And some might argue that newer is better, so HGSS > DPPt. So unless you want to make a dual screen styled interface for Essentials, it is actually completely up to date. Difference being that Essentials is confined to a single screen layout, which also makes sense in its own right.

I understand that the resources used in the OW development of the engine are still based on FR/LG, and that is due to Maruno being inclined to using official graphical resources, rather than splicing it from fan made tiles and what not (a notion I can agree with).

I can actually dig what you're trying to do, and I will echo a little of what M3rein said. I think instead of bundling together an entire kit that would be a separate entity from base Essentials is a bad idea. Like ... really bad. It causes a lot of conflicts when it comes to other 3rd party resources, it puts in additional pressure to keep the new kit up to date, and it confuses the hell out of the userbase when they come to face whatever issues. I'd strongly advise against that route. Make your resources as plug and play as possible. Not as an entire kit meant to replace base Essentials. This will make it much easier on both you and the rest of the userbase to keep your resources up to date, as well as fully functional. Take it from someone with experience.

Also, I have some resources (I think both DPPt and HGSS) when it comes to formatted RMXP OW spritesheets that I could give you. If you haven't already, I suggest joining PC's Discord server, and look me up on there for more details. My VMs and PMs here are disabled for personal reasons.

Thanks for your advice, I'm quickly realising how this community works and what it needs, I still want to contribute something, so I'm going to have to think about what I do and how I do it. I'll definitely be in contact with you so we can discuss this more. Thanks.

You can always make custom scripts for essentials without making a whole new project.

Also, if you are making tilesets (or compiling them). Try to make something like the example below. This way, we can keep track of what we are using and from who. On deviantart, you can see various tilesets that have a generic credit list. Looking at them, you will see that some of the artists have gone MIA and you are unable to check if they trully had public resources. 2nd it helps making a credit list with the people that actually contributed for the game rather than a bunch of "strangers" (lack of a better word).

^crap english =/

Thank you for the advice, I'll let you know how that goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back