• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Nameless FireRed Project [Alpha 1.02 Released]

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 22, 2016
I don't really know. This was never designed to be a 721 hack to begin with. It sort of incidentally happened because once you make the jump past 386, going up to 721 really isn't much harder beyond the tedious data entry factor. I decided to toss them all into this because I realized that between grottos, swarms, diving, and honey trees, I'd be able to fit them without the game feeling too crowded, an issue that I think a number of hacks suffer from because the only way they make the game "diverse" is by adding like five new species to the grass of every route.

Also, even if I did decide to add in Gen VII pokemon, if it is anything like Gen VI, the biggest constraint is spriting. Over the years, Pokemon designs have gotten more and more involved. It may look nicer, but it can't be easy to create their 64x64 sprites from scratch. Look at the megas in MrDollSteak's thread. It still isn't complete because there aren't many people who have the skill, time, and willingness to help out. I know that I certainly wouldn't be able to sprite Megas (or regular Pokemon to be honest) in any passable fashion.

Ah, I get what you mean. Spriting new pokes does seem to be a huuuuge effort. I'd help if I could, but again, it looks incredibly difficult. There are usable sprites outside of MrDollSteak's though, if you look.

Still. Best of luck with putting the finishing touches on the first release, and good luck pushing forwards. I hope that you do decide to implement the new Pokemon after Gen VII has been out for a while, but hey, what can I do?

Congrats on having (what will be) one of those most significant sideshow showcase hacks ever nearly completed

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
We literaly have no info about new gen, asking about a hack with Gen VII pokemon is kinda... pointless?

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
Years
Really liking the look of this.
Judging by the underwater screenshot, there will be diving? Did you implement that yourself?

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
lol i guess wriggles live in wells eh

If you call 5 new pokemon something then kk. Still - asking about gen VII pokemon is ridiculous right now.

Btw. - I don't know what's your problem, but everytime i see you in comments you are acting like some kind of jerk. Stop it.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Really liking the look of this.
Judging by the underwater screenshot, there will be diving? Did you implement that yourself?
Thanks! And. "Implement" would be a strong word. In reality, Diving is 90% in FireRed. The most involved part of it is expanding the field moves table, which I think FBI made a tutorial on. Aside from that, all you need to do is an overworld change and add a routine that calls the dive script while pressing A while on a dive tile (as opposed to while facing one).

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 22, 2016
We literaly have no info about new gen, asking about a hack with Gen VII pokemon is kinda... pointless?

Dude, in hack-time, six months isn't really that long. It's quite possible that this hack won't be finished/released by then, too. Was just asking OP what they were thinking about

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Dude, in hack-time, six months isn't really that long. It's quite possible that this hack won't be finished/released by then, too. Was just asking OP what they were thinking about

Dude, counting sprite- and script- work, count more like 1-2 years before gen VII will be doable to port into gen III hack. And considering how azurille13 realy try to convert stuff very faithfuly, half-assing stuff just for the sake of adding gen VII pokemon is not a valid option.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 22, 2016
Dude, counting sprite- and script- work, count more like 1-2 years before gen VII will be doable to port into gen III hack. And considering how azurille13 realy try to convert stuff very faithfuly, half-assing stuff just for the sake of adding gen VII pokemon is not a valid option.

Mate, if you're talking about it being done 'properly' the ETA for Gen 4/5/6 in ROMhacks is near infinite too. There'll likely never be every single ability and move ported to Firered or Emerald. Sprites will surface eventually - but the cool thing is that you don't actually need the sprites to have everything else ready to go.

I'm wasn't expecting Gen VII 1:1 from the get-go. I was literally just asking if he was planning on it in future. Sorry for having a bit of a rant at you bro

Years
dont want to be damanding and all but anyone got an idea on the realease date? after seeing this thread i know that im certainly one of your followers now. cant wait to play it. good luck on the developer

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
dont want to be damanding and all but anyone got an idea on the realease date? after seeing this thread i know that im certainly one of your followers now. cant wait to play it. good luck on the developer
Here's my answer that I definitely did not lazily copy from a recent message.

Thanks for the support. It wouldn't count in days, but you could probably count in weeks (as opposed to months). No promises, of course. It can be difficult to estimate these things, especially since a lot of what I'm doing right now is bug testing, so you never know how long each step will take.

In retrospect, I think I opened this thread prematurely. A month and a half isn't long in hack terms, but when I opened it, I thought I would have it done by now. But I overestimated how much time I'd have and I underestimated how nitpicky I'd be with some stuff. It started with the fact that I wanted Aegislash and Zorua/Zoroark to have proper abilities, and snowballed quite a bit from there.

Years
Here's my answer that I definitely did not lazily copy from a recent message.

Thanks for the support. It wouldn't count in days, but you could probably count in weeks (as opposed to months). No promises, of course. It can be difficult to estimate these things, especially since a lot of what I'm doing right now is bug testing, so you never know how long each step will take.

In retrospect, I think I opened this thread prematurely. A month and a half isn't long in hack terms, but when I opened it, I thought I would have it done by now. But I overestimated how much time I'd have and I underestimated how nitpicky I'd be with some stuff. It started with the fact that I wanted Aegislash and Zorua/Zoroark to have proper abilities, and snowballed quite a bit from there.

Woah! Thanks for the effort replying. Haha well that's me just asking. No worries, I'm pretty sure you'll get there in time. In the meantime don't get too pressured and good luck.^^

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Any update on this? :)
I guess I can give some information on a few of the things I've done recently. After some thinking, I decided that Espeon and Umbreon simply did not feel right to me without an RTC. I dislike the graphics of a lot of the RTCs out there, and I haven't tried to do it myself, so right now there is no graphical change between day and night (like in the Hoenn games). Anyways, since I was adding an RTC anyways, I also decided to rewrite a number of things that were previously pedometer based. Honey Trees, berry/apricorn trees, swarms, and various "daily events" are now all based on a clock to match how they work in regular games. Hidden Grottos still respawn on a pedometer to match Unova. Also, as alluded to earlier, I've been polishing a number of abilities.

Another thing is that I had previously said I wasn't adding cries because of the enormous amount of space it takes. I changed my mind on that - all cries are currently in the game. There's a possibility that I'll need to remove the cries in the future. But since I don't need the space at the moment, I figured I may as well include them, at least right now. I'll update a few screenshots soon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 20, 2019
I guess I can give some information on a few of the things I've done recently. After some thinking, I decided that Espeon and Umbreon simply did not feel right to me without an RTC. I dislike the graphics of a lot of the RTCs out there, and I haven't tried to do it myself, so right now there is no graphical change between day and night (like in the Hoenn games). Anyways, since I was adding an RTC anyways, I also decided to rewrite a number of things that were previously pedometer based. Honey Trees, berry/apricorn trees, swarms, and various "daily events" are now all based on a clock to match how they work in regular games. Hidden Grottos still respawn on a pedometer to match Unova. Also, as alluded to earlier, I've been polishing a number of abilities.

Another thing is that I had previously said I wasn't adding cries because of the enormous amount of space it takes. I changed my mind on that - all cries are currently in the game. There's a possibility that I'll need to remove the cries in the future. But since I don't need the space at the moment, I figured I may as well include them, at least right now. I'll update a few screenshots soon.

Good luck!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
*proof that this hasn't been abandoned

Quick bump to say that I've updated some screenshots :D

They're mostly old features that I'm only now realizing weren't represented in pix / in some cases not even indicated in the features section.

kaitli1

the sleepiest slowpoke and ghost enthusiast
Years
This looks amazing! I'm gonna be so down to nuzlocke this, it looks very like a very refreshing and fun way to replay Kanto. Can't wait to play it!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
This looks amazing! I'm gonna be so down to nuzlocke this, it looks very like a very refreshing and fun way to replay Kanto. Can't wait to play it!
AHH I should have mentioned before anyone gets too excited - I've literally never played through this as a Nuzlocke. I've only tested the Nuzlocke features, and I barely ever play Nuzlockes, so I don't know what type of game makes a "good" Nuzlocke. That is to say - it is mechanically functional, but I don't know if the game itself is a good experience for that type of playstyle. When I was doing stuff like battle clauses/experience limiters and made a menu for options to turn them on or off, I figured I may as well add basic Nuzlocke features in as an option, just because it wasn't a giant leap to add them from that point.

(Btw all of those features like catch limit and permanent death can be turned on and off as a failsafe should they cause bugs)

Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2022
AHH I should have mentioned before anyone gets too excited - I've literally never played through this as a Nuzlocke. I've only tested the Nuzlocke features, and I barely ever play Nuzlockes, so I don't know what type of game makes a "good" Nuzlocke. That is to say - it is mechanically functional, but I don't know if the game itself is a good experience for that type of playstyle. When I was doing stuff like battle clauses/experience limiters and made a menu for options to turn them on or off, I figured I may as well add basic Nuzlocke features in as an option, just because it wasn't a giant leap to add them from that point.

(Btw all of those features like catch limit and permanent death can be turned on and off as a failsafe should they cause bugs)

It's good to see that you are still alive and still working on this, Proud of ya man! I'm super excited to play,

However, I was wondering if we could have some progress stat's? Like, what else is needed to be in the game, where the game is actually at, etc.

Back