• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Heart of Soul [OOC/SU]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
HEART OF SOUL
SIGN-UP STATUS: OPEN

BACKSTORY:

Within the billions of people around the world, there live a select few who have gained the power beyond ordinary humans. Gaining a 'sixth' sense, these people have the power to see 'Souls', and have gained 'Familiars'. On rare instances, people are born naturally with this power, however the more common occurrence is picking it up through near-death experiences, contact with a 'Lost Soul', or on extremely rare instances, when one has achieved total balance in meditation between mind and body which allows them to see things a normal human cannot. People who have attained this power, are known as Reapers.

Although, they have many names such as Shinigami, Grim Reaper, Gods of Death, etc. The most common name they go by is Reaper. Once attaining this power, that individual must repay their debt for reaching or contacting the 'other' side, by living as a Reaper. The Reaper's debt is essentially a simple one, which is to hunt and slay demons. Although there is no set number of how many Demons they must slay, it is required they do it at least once a week, or ultimately risk dying and being sent to "The Crossroads" - a special place in neither Hell nor Heaven, but in Limbo.

LOST SOULS/DEMONS:

Essentially nearly the same thing, Lost Souls are people who have died, and they refuse to go to the other side, 'rejecting' their fate. This causes them to become Lost Soula, which are dangerous if not killed. They often take the form of a monster, and are particularly attracted to killing people and devouring their souls to stay on Earth. Once in this state, their mind is altered, and their knowledge of right to wrong is no longer there.

Demons are vicious beings that are placed in Hell, and have leaked into the Human world. Exact cause of them to appear is unknown, and most of them are not lethal but rather pranksters. However, the occasional aggressive ones do show up. Some of them are even capable to disguising themselves as humans, which allow them to stay even longer in the Human World, without being detected by Reapers.

FAMILIARS:

Taking on a permanent form, Familiars are literally souls of Reapers that have been manifested into a sort of 'spirit' form. Their forms vary greatly, and are completely dependent on things such as a Reaper's personality, traits, etc.

They are a Reaper's main weapon for eliminating Demons and Lost Souls. All of them are able to transform into a default Spirit Weapon for their own to use, and also have the nifty ability of 'merging' with objects. Although there are some restrictions, by merging with another object, Familiars can become different types of weapons. However, sometimes they can create something completely useless as well.

Familiars are kept in a 'Totem', a Reaper's object of choice which encapsulates the Familiar for usage later on, rather than having them float around the Reaper all day. They can be called in and out on command, and regular humans cannot see the Familiars. If transformed into its weapon state or merged, any Reaper that it making contact with the Familiar will be invisible to the human eyes as well, until the Familiar returns to its former state or if the Reaper is no longer making contact with the Familiar.

They are also capable of understanding human speech, however they are unable to speak themselves, but rather make noises unique to each Familiar.

THE HIGHER UPS:

The higher-ups, known as "The Lucid", are group of individuals who have mastered their Reaper powers beyond any other Reaper in the world. Not much is known about them, however they do have a certain authority over other Reapers. They are made up of ten members at a time, and ultimately call the shots in the Human world, as they also call themselves 'The Chosen Ones". Although they don't really make a scene, or even make public appearances, it is wise to follow their orders when asked to.

MAGIC:

This RP does contain magic, for those of you who are wondering. Here, I have divided Magic up into these elements, or 'Natures/Affinities' if you will.

Fire – good against Lightning/weak against Water
Water – good against Fire/weak against Lightning
Lightning – good against Water/weak against Fire
Earth – good against Wind/weak against Wind
Wind – good against Earth/Weak against Earth
Light – good against Dark/Weak against Dark
Dark – good against Light/Weak against Light

Spells can be literally anything you put your mind to, and are not restricted to only attacks. They can be barriers, environmental changes, etc. Also, your Familiar is also able to cast some basic magic as well. Your character will also be able to learn new magic throughout the RP, but only when I allow it.

To use magic, requires Mana. Mana is the energy needed to use spells, and overexerting yourself can cause fatigue, exhaustion, and can take even longer recovering your mana reserve. Essentially, resting and waiting is the only thing that will replenish Mana. Some people are born with a higher mana reserve than others, so the amount of mana varies per person.

Learning Magic outside of your natural affinity is more difficult than learning one of your own. Not impossible though, only more difficult, so make sure when you create your character, they don't have a spell of each element.

WHERE YOU COME IN:

Your character currently resides in New York City. You are a Reaper, and have been for at least a few months now. Although your Demon Slaying skills are not as advanced as you'd like them to be, for now they get the job done.

You may be a college student, working a job, or maybe even doing nothing but being a bum at home. Whatever the case, you are still a Reaper. You have not met any other Reaper yet, however, that is all about to change. (We will not dive head-first into the story right away, but think of the first bit as a 'warm-up' and a way to meet some of the other players first. I wouldn't say it's a sandbox, as I will still give out info and guidelines on what to do.)

------------------------

Alright guys, welcome to my first ever RP on these forums! Hope you guys can look past my new-member status, as I have been RPing for a while. If you're interested in joining this RP, then please, read on!

------------------------

RULES:

1) All Forum rules apply (obviously)
2)This is rated 'M' for a reason. Yes you can swear(don't use it excessively please), romance( as long as you're not writing a new Fifty Shades of Grey), and of course there will be violence.
3) Please post regularly. Not sure if it a problem on these forums, but some other places have a tendency where people just randomly leave the RP without notice.
4) If you do need to go somewhere, please let me know, and we'll sort something out
5) If you leave without notice for a long period of time, your character will die, and your spot will be opened up again
6) If you want your character to learn a new spell, then run it by me either through PM or VM! Before asking me, make sure you ask yourself these questions:
-Is the spell reasonable for my character's skill level?
-Is it overpowered?
7) Note: When a Reaper dies, their Familiar is gone as well!
8) This last one is not a rule, but please have fun!

SIGN-UP:

Name:

Appearance: (Please at least one paragraph)

Nature/Element: (Pick one of the Elements above that your character has a natural affinity for.)

History: (Current Lifestyle, how they did they become a Reaper, etc. Can be brief, but please at least a paragraph)

Personality: (What are they like? Dislikes? Likes? How do they act with others, etc. Please write a little more than paragraph for this one please.)

Spells: (Please only three for now. Make sure they are basic, and nothing overpowered.)

Other: (Anything else we need to know about?)

FAMILIAR SIGN-UP:

Name: (you must give your Familiar a name. Please keep it appropriate, and nothing dumb.)

Appearance: (A picture here would be fantastic, seeing as most of them will be imaginary creatures. Be original, and please don't just base the whole thing off a Pokemon. Also remember, your Familiar is in its 'First' stage, so make sure it's reasonable. )

Personality: (Think of the Familiar as a pet. What is its personality like? Aggressive? Gentle? Playful?)

Default Spirit Weapon Form: (Your Familiar's default weapon it can transform into. Again be creative. Nothing to overpowered, and please be appropriate.)

Totem: (What does your character use a Totem to hold the Familiar in? Can really be anything, but again, keep it appropriate and nothing dumb.)

Spells: (Again, your Familiar is at its First stage, so keep them simple. Maximum of three.)

MY SIGN-UP

Spoiler:

ACCEPTED:

Alex Ayers & Mari
Jayce Winter & J2
Kallen Benzel & Rosa
Norris Wicker & Voel
Kaya Syren Alabast & Wyve
Shear Smith & Kerayle

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
Just a bump. Want to make sure if there's at least some interest.

doge

???
Years
Well, I'm interested. I'll edit in my SU when I'm done. :p
And after much indecisiveness, I'm done!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Khawill

<3
Years
Still incomplete
Name: Jayce Winter

Appearance:
Spoiler:
In addition, he also wears a mask that resembles J2 whenever he is hunting demons. You won't see him without it unless he shows you. The suit is what he wears to work, when he is hunting he wears dark jeans and a black hoodie. (The image is not created by me)

Nature/Element: Wind

History: Jayce was a person who lacked any goals in life, had no purpose. He was born into a good life, and hardly complained about anything. In school, he made straight Bs out of choice, so that nobody would acknowledge him no matter what. When he graduated, he was accepted to several colleges, though went to the most average one he could. (Quote, "I won't be the one to shove other's dreams out of the way by competing at these schools when I have no dreams of my own.") At his average college he still only made Bs (though some teachers began to notice this and attempted to give significantly easier tests. When he made Bs on those, they realized he was holding back). Unknown to him, they gave him one of the hardest tests they could, which he got a B on. This test was enough to allow him to graduate a year early (to his surprise). He was given a desk job, an average accounting job with decent pay. (Quote, "I've done nothing, I have no goals, and yet I still get what I don't want."). He got a decent sized apartment to live in, on the lower end of New York.

During his first year though, while walking out of a convenience store, he was walking back to his apartment. Like almost every other time, there was a person getting mugged, and like every other time, he simply succumbed to the fact that he couldn't save them. Though on this day, he wondered why that person was suffering and not him. (Thoughts, If that person has goals, and dreams, then why am I here, having no pain upon myself.) Irrationally, he intervened. Punching the man squarely in the jaw. Unfortunately, the man had no interest in a fist fight, and simply shot Jayce in the chest (missing his heart, but sending him into shock). The person he saved just ran, leaving him to death, it was only because a bystander called 911 that he was even rescued.

In the hospital, he was made a Reaper, and he made a full recovery.

Personality: Although born a natural genius with an affinity to learn anything quickly, Jayce was completely devoid of any goals or aspirations. He was content with simply living an average life, then dying like everyone else. Nobody would miss him, nobody would want him dead. Though these thoughts were often conflicted with his actions and outer emotions. He always pretended to be happy around people, so that they would feel happy as well. He never looked down at another person's goal, and supported every single one. His personality made people like him, though nobody ever really became his friend, (Quote, "When I leave, they will forget me first, much like what they had for dinner last year on this day."), this caused him to become lonely, and often spent most of his time alone at home. In a way, he was depressed, yet he was also happy to be alive.

His personality changed after the accident. When he learned his goal was to slay demons, he found purpose. He gladly accepted his new goal, seeing it as his one and only meaning in life. He became brighter, more accepting of his own talents, and was noticed more by people. He no longer wanted to die soundlessly, but rather to die a hero (if only to himself.) He carries his debt out with a new life. He has been training his body every day since he recovered, in an attempt to be as strong as possible, only to carry out this goal. Still, he isn't a party animal, and retains a lot of his usual laziness and calmness.

(In the most basic of explanations, he is devoted, kind, intelligent, and laid-back)

Spells:
-Levitation: Allows him to fly, carrying more people expends more mana. If it already windy outside, then he is able to use less mana. Can also be used to move other objects toward him (though cant be used for more intricate things like opening jars or doors and such)
-Wind Slash: A high ranged attack that slashes at his target. Can shatter windows and wooden doors fairly easy. The amount of mana varies on how much effort is put into it. (More effort also means more time, easier when windy outside).
-Melee Increase: Using bursts of air to increase the momentum of a kick or punch, Jayce can give a moderate increase to his physical damage as well as his agility. (Can quickly drain mana in prolonged fights)
-(Not a spell) Sound: Jayce can increase sound waves in the air, increasing his hearing or his voice. (Doesn't work through walls, ground, or water. Also doesn't work in a vacuum)

Other: He lives alone in an apartment, hunting during the night time. He lacks any friends, and he basically cut himself off from his family.

Familiar
Name: Jayce Two (Jayce named of course). J2 (nickname)

Appearance:
Spoiler:
The bird is pretty small, comparable to a stuffed animal. (Not ddrawn by me)

Personality: J2 is a docile familiar, and is very much content with doing only what Jayce tells it to. Additionally it does not enjoy being in it's totem, preferring to lay around on Jayce's head or his shoulder. Jayce only has him as a totem during work, otherwise leaving him out as an exotic bird.

Default Spirit Weapon Form: Power Gloves. J2 turns into a pair of gloves that increases his strength tremendously.

Totem: His totem is a silver ring he wears with the word, "Meaning" written in English on it.

Spells:
-Blink: J2 is able to move fast enough that he can't be seen in short bursts. (No combat damage, if he were to move into a person at this speed, he would phase through them). Prolonged fights will tire him out.
-Blasting screech: Sound waves are amplified, causing a loud screech to emanate from J2. (Can also be used quieter so that only Jayce can hear him)
-Levitate: Same as Jayce's. Can cast on other people as long as he sits on their head or shoulder
-Wind Barrier: Blocks Projectiles such as bullets or thrown objects. (This is passively activated while j2 sits on Jayce's head)

Last edited:

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
'o' woaah.... me and GimmePie are co-Gming an RP kinda like this xD just a heads up cause I don't want you to think we were copying you :D

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
Yes, I'm aware of it, thank you for telling me though. I've had this idea for quite a while now, so I tried to make sure to tweak it some more before submitting as I wanted to try and make sure there was no 'conflicts' between the two RPs.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
Well, I finished my SU. Just need to add in the picture of my familiar.

@Khawill: Looks good so far, however you may want to tone down the Levitation spell. I think it's my fault for not being clearer, but there's really no flying allowed in the RP(unless somehow that is your Familiar's weapon form, or merges into, but even then it would probably be more high-levelled). I would suggest to just leave to simple levitation with the ability to glide and whatnot.

Khawill

<3
Years
Finished

Name: Jayce Winter

Appearance:
Spoiler:
In addition, he also wears a mask that resembles J2 whenever he is hunting demons. You won't see him without it unless he shows you. The suit is what he wears to work, when he is hunting he wears dark jeans and a black hoodie. (The image is not created by me)

Nature/Element: Wind

History: Jayce was a person who lacked any goals in life, had no purpose. He was born into a good life, and hardly complained about anything. In school, he made straight Bs out of choice, so that nobody would acknowledge him no matter what. When he graduated, he was accepted to several colleges, though went to the most average one he could. (Quote, "I won't be the one to shove other's dreams out of the way by competing at these schools when I have no dreams of my own.") At his average college he still only made Bs (though some teachers began to notice this and attempted to give significantly easier tests. When he made Bs on those, they realized he was holding back). Unknown to him, they gave him one of the hardest tests they could, which he got a B on. This test was enough to allow him to graduate a year early (to his surprise). He was given a desk job, an average accounting job with decent pay. (Quote, "I've done nothing, I have no goals, and yet I still get what I don't want."). He got a decent sized apartment to live in, on the lower end of New York.

During his first year though, while walking out of a convenience store, he was walking back to his apartment. Like almost every other time, there was a person getting mugged, and like every other time, he simply succumbed to the fact that he couldn't save them. Though on this day, he wondered why that person was suffering and not him. (Thoughts, If that person has goals, and dreams, then why am I here, having no pain upon myself.) Irrationally, he intervened. Punching the man squarely in the jaw. Unfortunately, the man had no interest in a fist fight, and simply shot Jayce in the chest (missing his heart, but sending him into shock). The person he saved just ran, leaving him to death, it was only because a bystander called 911 that he was even rescued.

In the hospital, he was made a Reaper, and he made a full recovery.

Personality: Although born a natural genius with an affinity to learn anything quickly, Jayce was completely devoid of any goals or aspirations. He was content with simply living an average life, then dying like everyone else. Nobody would miss him, nobody would want him dead. Though these thoughts were often conflicted with his actions and outer emotions. He always pretended to be happy around people, so that they would feel happy as well. He never looked down at another person's goal, and supported every single one. His personality made people like him, though nobody ever really became his friend, (Quote, "When I leave, they will forget me first, much like what they had for dinner last year on this day."), this caused him to become lonely, and often spent most of his time alone at home. In a way, he was depressed, yet he was also happy to be alive.

His personality changed after the accident. When he learned his goal was to slay demons, he found purpose. He gladly accepted his new goal, seeing it as his one and only meaning in life. He became brighter, more accepting of his own talents, and was noticed more by people. He no longer wanted to die soundlessly, but rather to die a hero (if only to himself.) He carries his debt out with a new life. He has been training his body every day since he recovered, in an attempt to be as strong as possible, only to carry out this goal. Still, he isn't a party animal, and retains a lot of his usual laziness and calmness.

(In the most basic of explanations, he is devoted, kind, intelligent, and laid-back)

Spells:
-Levitation: Allows him to fly, unable to carry people. If it already windy outside, then he is able to use less mana. (The flying isn't superman type flying, its more like he is being carried while standing through the wind)
-Wind Slash: A high ranged attack that slashes at his target. Can shatter windows and wooden doors fairly easy. The amount of mana varies on how much effort is put into it. (More effort also means more time, easier when windy outside).
-Melee Increase: Using bursts of air to increase the momentum of a kick or punch, Jayce can give a moderate increase to his physical damage as well as his agility. (Can quickly drain mana in prolonged fights)
-(Not a spell) Sound: Jayce can increase sound waves in the air, increasing his hearing or his voice. (Doesn't work through walls, ground, or water. Also doesn't work in a vacuum)

Other: He lives alone in an apartment, hunting during the night time. He lacks any friends, and he basically cut himself off from his family.

Familiar
Name: Jayce Two (Jayce named of course). J2 (nickname)

Appearance:
Spoiler:
The bird is pretty small, comparable to a stuffed animal. (Not ddrawn by me)

Personality: J2 is a docile familiar, and is very much content with doing only what Jayce tells it to. Additionally it does not enjoy being in it's totem, preferring to lay around on Jayce's head or his shoulder. Jayce only has him as a totem during work, otherwise leaving him out as an exotic bird.

Default Spirit Weapon Form: Power Gloves. J2 turns into a pair of gloves that increases his strength tremendously.

Totem: His totem is a silver ring he wears with the word, "Meaning" written in English on it.

Spells:
-Blink: J2 is able to move fast enough that he can't be seen in short bursts. (No combat damage, if he were to move into a person at this speed, he would phase through them). Prolonged fights will tire him out.
-Blasting screech: Sound waves are amplified, causing a loud screech to emanate from J2. (Can also be used quieter so that only Jayce can hear him)
-Levitate: Same as Jayce's. Can cast on other people as long as he sits on their head or shoulder
-Wind Barrier: Blocks Projectiles such as bullets or thrown objects. (This is passively activated while j2 sits on Jayce's head)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
Alrighty, good SU. You are accepted.

Just a heads up to anyone else, your familiar doesn't necessarily have to be a bird.

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Mar 13, 2024
Screw it; placeholder. :D I want to join. I think I'm good.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
No problem, you can still join. I don't usually put time limits on placeholders, but just try and get it done whenever you can.

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
Years
gubbfyglunqfeenlguadwvhkwr
I shouldn't join... But I want to... But I can't... Cause I want to.

I'm in the middle of a dilemma with myself.
I may join as much as I may not... If I ever do I will edit this post and do a SU sheet.

But first I have a self debate to solve :p

Fuyu

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Mar 13, 2024
Yahoo! I have a character in mind. My one question would be: what are the requirements for being born with the ability to be a Reaper? Would there be any drawbacks (besides the psychological ones and plausible freakishness)?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 31, 2023
No, there wouldn't really be any side-effects/drawbacks. Now that you mention, I did forget to put this little bit in the intro post.

If one were to be born a Reaper, then they would simply just have their familiar for a longer time than those who weren't born as one. Only thing is, their duty as a Reaper doesn't go into effect until they reach 18.

As for requirements, it can either be genetics or just luck of the draw.

Fuyu

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Mar 13, 2024
Ah okay. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure of that. :D So their familiar would have been there their whole life or come up at a certain point, if that were the case?

Back