• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Accents

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Do you have an accent? And do you seem to be treated differently because of it? I made this post cause II met a nice guy today who couldn't speak English well and people treated him with some disdain and annoyance.

Years
I have a southern accent that comes out when I'm drunk/tired. Other than that, I don't have that much of an accent anymore.

I am of the opinion that people with accents - especially those who are English-Second-Language - are fantastic people who do not deserve to be mocked/teased.

I used to work in a call center, and we would get outsourced people from India on the phone, and people would be so incredibly rude to them just because they were outsourced/didn't know English THAT well. However, these were people who are doing their JOB, and know a second (sometimes even more) languages while the people I worked with did not. I mean, I'm sure you'd have a weird accent in whatever language you tried to learn.

TY

I have no accent apparently, not even when speaking English which people assume im just from the UK

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I have a faint accent that pops up on occasion + my occasional stutter and I get mocked. I can understand how ESL people feel when they get mocked and looked down upon for their accent. It's very shallow to judge someone on the way they speak.

pkmin3033

I have a received pronunciation British accent...my voice is not particularly exciting. A lot of people who can hear my accent seem to like it though, and a few people have accused me of being a snob because of the way I speak although I am not especially wealthy. xD

Last edited:
Years
I also have the RP accent but that is from not living in the country and interacting with many non-native speakers on a regular basis. I'm from the north so my accent has definitely changed quite a bit. My sister hates how much my accent has changed and calls me a snob now, playfully of course.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦
In Italiano : 404 accent not found. Full atonality(and sometimes I sound like Microsoft Sam).
In English : last time I spat a few English words I was told I had a bit of an American accent, but it might have changed...

❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦ ❦

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
For an Australian, it almost seems like I have no accent, ahaha. I tend to speak quite formally and always politely when in public! Sometimes I sound more British than Aussie because of the way I speak. *shrugs* ^ ^;

Years
I don't have one but i do tend to change my english accent (american to british) when i am speaking random stuff to myself, and i've never been mocked because of that.

Last edited:
Years
I have somewhat of an Aussie accent. It's been the subject of lighthearted banter but I've never been legit made fun of for it.

Years
My accent shifts between hick, Imperial snob and like... nothingness. A void untouched by any worldly influence. I kind of sound like Hiccup from How To Train Your Dragon when I'm in the company of those I find attractive. Sad, that.

I do say "ain't" a lot, though.

Last edited:
Back