• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Trying to get shiny starter

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2013
Has anyone tried to do this? you save right in front of the machine then keep soft restarting the game if the starter you want isnt shiny. im trying to get a shiny totadile no luck so far. tell me what you think

Kelp

<3
Years
I tried for a shiny Treecko in Emerald. But after like 20 tries I gave up. Some people have gotten it on like their 5000th try, which seems like a daunting task. ._.

You're better off with the RNG method, if it is even applicable in HGSS.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2013
thats how im starting to fell, like im not going to get it for a long time

Pikachu3828

Webmaster of The Pika Club
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2012
Good luck, it can easily number into the tens of thousands before you get a shiny. A much more efficient way of doing so would simply be to take the starter on offer then later in the game acquire a foreign Pokémon and breed it with your starter.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
The exact likelihood of encountering a shiny in the wild is 1 in 8192, or 0.012207%. Presumably the chance of getting a shiny starter is the same, so you are going to have to try at the very least 8,192 times, though in reality you will probably have to try a lot more.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2013
well im willing to go that far i already beat the game before. i just hope that i dont get the one i dont want shiny

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
My brother did that along with a group of people in Serebii Forums and they all found there shinies within a couple of days. Because 3 pokemon show up at a time it is 3X faster than your normal SR so 500 resets equal 1500 for all of the starters. So your chances are reasonable good.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Yeah I've done it loads of time's and on my 150+ SR tada! shiny *_* my Mum yes my mum plays Pokemon! D; got a shiny Cyndaquil on her first try, ;-; Flawless Iv's to

dieter57

pokemon master
Years
i'm not a fan of shiny hunting.
but i did get my fist shiny on SS at oaks lab. i really wanted a black charizard so i SR like for two days straight and finally got a shiny charmander.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
My brother did that along with a group of people in Serebii Forums and they all found there shinies within a couple of days. Because 3 pokemon show up at a time it is 3X faster than your normal SR so 500 resets equal 1500 for all of the starters. So your chances are reasonable good.
Well looking at numbers, the chances for one Pokemon is 1/8192, but with three at once essentially it's 3/8192, or roughly 1 in 2731. It's certainly better as well as it's faster than other games - hurrah for bothering to show the sprites as shiny ones this time around.

I've never SR'd the starters myself for say a shiny or one with a specific nature though, but I did check the sprites of all three, just in case. ;p

Tangela

I'M GONNA TANGLE YA!
Years
The exact likelihood of encountering a shiny in the wild is 1 in 8192, or 0.012207%. Presumably the chance of getting a shiny starter is the same, so you are going to have to try at the very least 8,192 times, though in reality you will probably have to try a lot more.
I think i read somewhere that just because odds are 1 in 8,192 doesnt mean you'll get one on the 8,192nd try. Right?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
That's correct. Every time to see a Pokemon it's a 1/8192 chance of getting a shiny. It doesn't go up, nor down, unless you're breeding a Pokemon with another that is nationality (japanese, to be exact).

But anyways, I SR'd a Shiny Bulbasaur a while ago. Took about 700 tries, but it wasn't too bad (especially as I was upset when it happened, so my game pretty much went "YOU'RE FRUSTRATED. HERE HAVE A SHINY :D"). Maybe if I ever get Heart Gold I'll see 'bout getting a Shiny Starter that way, aye.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2013
well last night a shiny cyndiquil showed up i was so mad because that wasnt what i wanted i would of taken a shiny chikarita if it appeared so i kept going. then 15 minutes later another shiny cyndiquil and now im still trying to for either a totadile or chikarita

sabapple

Fly High☆
Years
Well, my first try on SS and there was a shiny Totodile! :3 It made me very happy. And on HG it took me only about a half hour to get a shiny Cyndaquil. I guess that I was very lucky because it took my cousin a week or so to get a shiny starter.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2013
well no luck now trying to find the one i want maybe tonight ill find it

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
What I find helpful when SRing is to do so many a day. I do 300 SRs a day. Count using the calculator function on your computer, or maybe just a plain ol' piece of paper.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
well last night a shiny cyndiquil showed up i was so mad because that wasnt what i wanted i would of taken a shiny chikarita if it appeared so i kept going. then 15 minutes later another shiny cyndiquil and now im still trying to for either a totadile or chikarita

You should have just taken it then traded it to another game then started again. Shiny Cyndaquil's are good for trades.

@-- BobandBill It is so awesome shiny sprites show up, so much quicker and more efficiant. Even the shiny sprites for like Latias show up (apparently)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2013
i didnt want to take cause i already beat the game with him. plus i knew it was going to be him that i would find shiny i just knew.

YAY at 7:14 pm central time i found a shiny chikarita and it was female i named her autumn :D

Last edited:

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I tried once when I got HGSS, but I gave up on it. It wasn't really worth it when I could get whatever Pokemon I wanted with whatever gender/nature/ability that I wanted shiny via RNG abuse ;D

Back