• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

rambling questions about computer chips in your brain

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
i've been thinking a lot about sci fi / futurism lately so this seems like an interesting topic to talk about here

do you think we'll eventually replace phones/computers with brain implants that can connect to the internet? do you think that will happen in our lifetimes, and if so, how would you feel about getting one?

i think most people today would be against getting one (except maybe PC people bc lets be real we're all fuckin nerds) but it's interesting to compare that 25 years ago you probably wouldn't have been okay with having a near-mandatory tiny computer in your pocket at all times that tracks everywhere you go and everything you do. so maybe by the time the technology for brain implants is available people will be okay with that too.

/geek

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Not sure about implants, but something that is more wearable than a completely detached piece of metal (phone/watch) perhaps, that senses brain signals and lets you make decisions and maybe lets you view the internet through your glasses or something, I could see that.

I work with this kind of technology :) Trying to make electronics more compatible with biotissue. It's not easy, and I'd say we might be more than 20 years away from becoming cyborgs in this sense. But there are already really cool things available, as far as implants and electronics-body interfaces go. We just need to overcome some more mountains first - I'm working on it, dw :B

From a moral perspective? Like you say, we've already without thinking too much about it accepted that a phone tracks our habits and movements all day long. Some even implant chips in their hands to do payments with or replace access cards with. I had a colleague do that lol, a little hard chip in the tissue between his thumb and index finger.

Essentially, if humanity became accessibly able to browse the web without having to hold an external piece of technology up with their hands and look at, we'd sure want it lol.

Years
A small NFC chip that you can use as a form of payment that's like, in your hand or something? I can't imagine most people would care too much about that.

However, smart contact lenses that essentially turn your vision and make it Terminator-esque? Not so sure about that.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
Brain microchips would be seen as an invasion of privacy. Microchips placed under the skin that can be used for various purposes already exist and might become more common in the future.

Back