• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you support a Military Draft?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Asking this as someone who will be of age to sign for the selective service soon.

The military isn't something I want to do post high school, but if a conflict were to break out that caused the draft to be reactive again, I would probably just end up enlisting myself.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
nah

I'd rather that no one be forced to become cannon fodder for a country

I think that in the US though one doesn't have to worry too much about a draft, people remember how much backlash there was over the one during the Vietnam War, so you'd think that they wouldn't be too eager to try it again.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
The entire point of the draft was during WW2 (and maybe one), which were essentially dealing with major conflicts, with even national security being a thing as well.

I don't think a draft is necessary, unless it's such a similar state of national security regarding your nation, in which case if you can't defend then there'll kinda be no nation (in like governance wise) to not join the army for (also, occupation).

Right now, I haven't seen any signs or current conflicts since WW2 that would require a draft or something akin to it, so yeah.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
For any conflict where there's a significant risk to national security or a significant threat to individual liberty on the global scale, I would support a draft if it was necessary to secure either of those things.

For any other conflict, no.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
It's not something I could ever get behind. Forcing someone into a conflict seems (in my opinion) just inherently unethical. Especially if you consider that it's unlikely everyone who gets drafted will even agree that that particular fighting should be happening anyway.

Years
Well, here everyone has to go to Army for 9 months or to Navy/Airforce for 1 year but there is no war going on so I'm ok with this. However, if sometime there is a war here, every men who went to the army for 1 year must go and fight.

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Heeellllll no. I probably wouldn't need to apply for it anyways but if I had to, they would have to drag me out of my house. No way I'm fighting for a country that has policies and viewpoints that I don't support. Now if I actually liked my country a bit more, I'd go willingly, and you wouldn't even need the draft.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
The draft got removed from the U.S. last time I checked, so it's not really a concern.

In the theoretical situation that it wasn't removed, I'd oppose it or, should I be threatened with legal punishment, apply for conscientious objector status due to my pacifism. I also have a medical condition so they literally can't draft me lol.

The draft is a ridiculous concept to me considering there's so many people that willingly go into the army to participate in combat. I don't see the reason behind forcing people to do it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 11, 2018
The draft got removed from the U.S. last time I checked, so it's not really a concern.

In the theoretical situation that it wasn't removed, I'd oppose it or, should I be threatened with legal punishment, apply for conscientious objector status due to my pacifism. I also have a medical condition so they literally can't draft me lol.

The draft is a ridiculous concept to me considering there's so many people that willingly go into the army to participate in combat. I don't see the reason behind forcing people to do it.

We still have the Selective Service.

At the end of the day, most countries don't need the Draft. However, I can see the need for countries that have a small population that border a country or countries with larger populations. As in, Finland next to Russia or Israel and the surrounding countries in the Middle East.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 11, 2018
Really? I thought we got rid of that too. God, this country is such garbage sometimes.

I suggest signing up for Selective Service. You have to sign up before you turn 26th. If not, you will be punished. One way you are punished is being denied Financial Aid.

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I suggest signing up for Selective Service. You have to sign up before you turn 26th. If not, you will be punished. One way you are punished is being denied Financial Aid.

I'm 21, hon. I had to sign up for it ages ago. I thought it got removed with the draft. Clearly not lmfao

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Sorry, I didn't memorize the date the draft was removed to pull it off the top of my head for a random internet discussion. Never having to genuinely consider military enlistment as a legitimate concern doesn't move me to memorize things like that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 23, 2018
As many here have already stated, there is no moral justification for forcing someone to fight against his or her will.

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
Years
I believe there are enough men in the military so that there shouldn't be a draft. So hopefully no but I'm only 13 so even if they lowered the draft age then I wouldn't be a member till I was 18...

Back