The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacks Studio PokéCommunity ROM Hack Planning
Art Mega Concept Art

Planning Where all the hard work happens. Got an idea? You don't have to be part of the team to share it with us.

Old November 22nd, 2016 (3:36 AM).

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bynine View Post
apologies for my inactivity, college has been keeping me busy and i felt burnt out with pokemon. i'll do my best to get you guys some lugia & zapdos concepts to check up on
That's a-okay, real life is priority of course. Agree with FBI on Mega Lugia and I think that will look awesome!

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 6th, 2016 (5:22 PM).

here's another hack at deepsea lugia!
    Old December 7th, 2016 (1:03 AM).

Quote:

here's another hack at deepsea lugia!
    I think that's awesome! Pretty excited now that we're just a Zapdos from being done with our custom megas/formes :D
    Old December 9th, 2016 (1:56 PM).
    ARCTURUS

these are some juicy looking sprites guys
      Old December 10th, 2016 (2:22 AM).

What's the general consensus on having mega evos for the starters then? From both a gameplay and artistic pov.
      Old December 10th, 2016 (1:57 PM).
      Free supporter

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Shenron View Post
      What's the general consensus on having mega evos for the starters then? From both a gameplay and artistic pov.
      imo leave megas for auxiliary Pokemon, and just leave the starters as is. I feel like designing a mega torterra without just adding a second tree on it's back or something is pretty hard too.
      Old December 10th, 2016 (4:21 PM).

Nature: Quirky
        Hahaha. If anyone cares, I made another sprite of Mega Lugia from scratch because there's quite a few errors on bynine's sprites. I think I overdid the anti-aliasing and shading though. Criticism appreciated.

Oh, and btw, I'm also currently creating sprites for Mega Aritcuno and Mega Moltres. I'm just waiting for Mega Zapdos to work at my fullest. Hahaha.

EDIT: I forgot to note, The other color of Lugia isn't for shiny. I'm just proposing it as an alternate color.
        Old December 10th, 2016 (4:41 PM).
        Free supporter

Quote:
        Originally Posted by BlackWhiteRobin View Post
        Hahaha. If anyone cares, I made another sprite of Mega Lugia from scratch because there's quite a few errors on bynine's sprites. I think I overdid the anti-aliasing and shading though. Criticism appreciated.

Oh, and btw, I'm also currently creating sprites for Mega Aritcuno and Mega Moltres. I'm just waiting for Mega Zapdos to work at my fullest. Hahaha.

EDIT: I forgot to note, The other color of Lugia isn't for shiny. I'm just proposing it as an alternate color.
        Can you put Bynine's head on that? I like the angered look Lugia has in his sprite. Also I get the feeling Lugia's "thumb" on it's left hand is a little too big, perhaps spreading the fingers a little would help.

Nice to see you guys are trying to improve eachother's work :)
        Old December 10th, 2016 (6:44 PM).
        Mr. Magius

Nature: Relaxed
          I think Lugia would look better with a broader chest segment, so that he doesn't look like just a big sea serpent. Something similar to Gizamaluke from FF9, if you're wondering what I'm meaning.

Edit: Also, perhaps invert its coloring, so blue is on top and white is on the bottom for a more realistic sea camouflage, and to make its DeepSea form a bit more distinctive.
          For ROMHackers, PokeCommunity is dead after the scandal. If you enjoy the ROMHacking scene, come with the rest of us to Silph Co. It is a forum by ROMHackers, for ROMHackers. None of the bloat of PC, and staff that knows what our subset of the community needs.
          Old December 10th, 2016 (6:52 PM). Edited December 10th, 2016 by BlackWhiteRobin.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by FBI View Post
            Can you put Bynine's head on that? I like the angered look Lugia has in his sprite. Also I get the feeling Lugia's "thumb" on it's left hand is a little too big, perhaps spreading the fingers a little would help.

Nice to see you guys are trying to improve eachother's work :)
            "BYNINE! COME HERE! IM'MA CHOP YOUR HEAD OFF AND PUT IT ON MY SPRITE 'CAUSE FBI TOLD ME SO!" Just kidding. Hahaha. Here ya go~!

Had to adjust my sprite instead of copying and pasting the head from bynine's sprite 'cause the result of the latter made Lugia look like he had a stiff neck. Hahaha. {XD}

EDIT:
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Deokishisu View Post
            I think Lugia would look better with a broader chest segment, so that he doesn't look like just a big sea serpent. Something similar to Gizamaluke from FF9, if you're wondering what I'm meaning.

Edit: Also, perhaps invert its coloring, so blue is on top and white is on the bottom for a more realistic sea camouflage, and to make its DeepSea form a bit more distinctive.
            Like this? Hahaha. Deep Sea Slim on the left and Deep Sea Bulky on the right here. Hahaha.

I just want to comment on how this one's color resembles Carracosta's. Hahahaha! "Finally outta my shell mafas! Im'ma bite you 'till you dead!" Hahaha. I'm so hyped making sprites today and I dunno why.
            Old December 11th, 2016 (12:07 AM).
            ARCTURUS

Consider less use of this type of outlining and go for a cleaner line-art and line-shading.

The current sprite looks blocky and dark and not as smooth and clean as I personally believe it could be. My edit is number 1, it's a small edit that I made mostly around the chest, its right wing/hand and some of the shading.

Overall I found what could help the sprite is less colours in the palette which would help with smoother and cleaner shading (watch out for banding), cleaning up the outline and smarter use of anti-aliasing. Take my advice what you will but keep in mind all of these things when making each other's edits and sprites because the key to the pixel art of the game is consistency in style since this project has multiple artists.
              Old December 11th, 2016 (10:26 AM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by BlackWhiteRobin View Post

i'd gladly like to know what those errors are so that i can fix them! your sprite is quite nice in its own way but it's pillow shaded and i'm not a big fan of the pose, which seems a bit awkward and gangly. i do enjoy the alternate color palette! and it's inspired me to try one similar. as for the thread's suggestions, i do like the idea of switching the skin and belly colors to give it a more convincing deep sea appearance, as well as a slight broadening of the chest. with all that in mind here are some updated sprites

Old December 11th, 2016 (12:03 PM). Edited December 11th, 2016 by BlackWhiteRobin.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
                  Consider less use of this type of outlining and go for a cleaner line-art and line-shading.

The current sprite looks blocky and dark and not as smooth and clean as I personally believe it could be. My edit is number 1, it's a small edit that I made mostly around the chest, its right wing/hand and some of the shading.

Overall I found what could help the sprite is less colours in the palette which would help with smoother and cleaner shading (watch out for banding), cleaning up the outline and smarter use of anti-aliasing. Take my advice what you will but keep in mind all of these things when making each other's edits and sprites because the key to the pixel art of the game is consistency in style since this project has multiple artists.
                  Thank you~! Sorry. That was seriously my first sprite from scratch. But as was said below by bynine... Oh and hahaha I just learned that stuff, I enjoyed it to much. And for the record, All of those colors were from ChaosRush's sprites. He uses too many color on Lugia I think? Hahaha. Nice job on your edit. :)
                  Quote:
                  i'd gladly like to know what those errors are so that i can fix them! your sprite is quite nice in its own way but it's pillow shaded and i'm not a big fan of the pose, which seems a bit awkward and gangly. i do enjoy the alternate color palette! and it's inspired me to try one similar. as for the thread's suggestions, i do like the idea of switching the skin and belly colors to give it a more convincing deep sea appearance, as well as a slight broadening of the chest. with all that in mind here are some updated sprites

Sorry for not telling the errors beforehand, that was quite rude of me. First was the head was not realistically attached to the neck, kind of out of place I think? If I was on my PC, I can show you what's wrong. Second was parts of its wings/arms looks jagged, and lastly, the bottom part of the body looks rather odd. It's like he's... I don't know the right word but I think there is something wrong. BTW, that second sprite's colors should be the color of our shiny. It definitely should be.
                  Old December 13th, 2016 (3:06 AM).

Quote:

really do <3 this
                  Old December 13th, 2016 (4:46 PM).
                  Free supporter

I like it too. I'm wondering if we're going to end up doing a Ho-oh form out of obligation, since we have a lugia one. I suppose it's not really a priority yet, but yeah. Looking forward to that Mega Zapdos :D
                  Old December 14th, 2016 (12:36 AM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by FBI View Post
                  I like it too. I'm wondering if we're going to end up doing a Ho-oh form out of obligation, since we have a lugia one. I suppose it's not really a priority yet, but yeah. Looking forward to that Mega Zapdos :D
                  zapdos first, then we can discuss anything else imo

Quick Reply