Planning Where all the hard work happens. Got an idea? You don't have to be part of the team to share it with us.

Old September 25th, 2016 (11:57 AM). Edited October 14th, 2016 by esperance.

Nature: Relaxed
So based on our previous story thread, we have a few major plot points that we'd like to see in the game's story:
  • The three birds are causing disasters
  • Lugia is part of the reason for this
  • The player's father is the big bad of the evil team
    • The father is not purely evil -- he acts out of some misguided mindset
    • The father originally plays a role similar to Mr. Stone -- seems like a friendly business man
    • ...developing a "custom Poké Ball"?
  • This takes place in a region centered on some islands
  • (minor) The player's mother is a professor

From this, this is what we have so far.

Please note that if you're not an official member of the team that this thread is not the place to post your own ideas for the story. That phase has already passed.
Old September 25th, 2016 (12:42 PM).

Nature: Sassy
Just tagging our story writers in here as this is mainly for them:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBueno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthropy View Post
Old September 25th, 2016 (4:00 PM).

Nature: Adamant
I've got something of an idea for how to tie it all together. So, what if this island system region is run under some sort of inherently corrupt/unjust system and the bad dude's family is on the unlucky end of that society?

He can decide to use Lugia to basically wipe things out and start a fresh utopia of sorts under his leadership (all for the sake of his family/the protag) and captures it to achieve this. This angers the birds which start rampaging but since ultimately this helps him he just lets them go.

The protag can then stop the birds or even capture them to use in beating bad dude/dad throughout the plot.

Any thoughts on that?
Old September 25th, 2016 (5:31 PM).
Boy Wonder

Nature: Lax
    Need to join the Discord real quick lol
    Quote:
    I've got something of an idea for how to tie it all together. So, what if this island system region is run under some sort of inherently corrupt/unjust system and the bad dude's family is on the unlucky end of that society?

He can decide to use Lugia to basically wipe things out and start a fresh utopia of sorts under his leadership (all for the sake of his family/the protag) and captures it to achieve this. This angers the birds which start rampaging but since ultimately this helps him he just lets them go.

The protag can then stop the birds or even capture them to use in beating bad dude/dad throughout the plot.

Any thoughts on that?
    I do like the idea of the Xanatos Gambit-styled plan: Big Bad Dad can either capture the birds and use them or not catch them and they're still working to his advantage.

Personally, I don't think the dad should be revealed as the big bad in the beginning or the end. It'd be more emotionally significant for him to be seen in a good light in the beginning and then revealed as the big bad while there's still some time left. At the very least, there should be another battle or two against him AFTER he's revealed as the big bad.

If the Player's mother is a professor, the father could have used her research to find and capture Lugia.

KH-Vids
    Your Number 1 Source for All Kingdom Hearts Media!
    Old September 25th, 2016 (5:42 PM).

Quote:
    Need to join the Discord real quick lol

I do like the idea of the Xanatos Gambit-styled plan: Big Bad Dad can either capture the birds and use them or not catch them and they're still working to his advantage.
    I think letting them just run amok would work well since we can say his capture of Lugia was the trigger. Then the Protag can have the option of capaturing them to combat the badassness that is Lugia or something.

Quote:
    Personally, I don't think the dad should be revealed as the big bad in the beginning or the end. It'd be more emotionally significant for him to be seen in a good light in the beginning and then revealed as the big bad while there's still some time left. At the very least, there should be another battle or two against him AFTER he's revealed as the big bad.
    The father character is missing from almost every game. Why don't we reveal him as the antagonist character and have him be recurring like Giovanni/Cyrus but not reveal him as the father until the end. Basically pull an "I AM YOUR FATHER" moment.

Quote:
    If the Player's mother is a professor, the father could have used her research to find and capture Lugia.
    This makes sense. I like this.
    If we're doing the thing where the islands each have a different climate, maybe she can be researching why that's the case since it doesn't actually make sense from the perspective of climatology/ecology?
    Old September 26th, 2016 (10:20 AM).
    Owl + Bear =
    Owlbear

Location: That place called... Wait, what was it called again?
    Nature: Quirky
    Quote:
    So like the genesis flood narrative? Or more like a Team Aqua 2.0?

Quote:
    I prefer to keep him "just Dad" at the start of the story, where he might even assist you a couple of times in the story (and possibly battle you as well to see how strong you've become), and gradually you're noticing there's something fishy going on with that guy until you find out he's actually "evil". Possibly you could have met his minions/grunts a couple of times before that (if he has those).
    Old September 26th, 2016 (11:09 AM).
    Free supporter

Can we use the shipwreck idea to Lugia and the father's motive? I was kind of fond of that idea. It was basically something that'd be like a prologue and maybe revealed later into the story or used as the introduction scene before the titlescreen.

The idea was that the Player's father lost his family in a shipwreck incident due to a sea storm. He himself ends up surviving and traumatized of the sea. He discovers how terrifying being alone in the raging ocean is and makes it his goal to capture Lugia, the guardian of the sea. With Lugia he plans to make the sea a safer place so his family (and anyone else) will never have to go through what he did as a child. Through his strong resolve to complete his mission he fails to assign importance to the collateral damage his mission is causing.

In the end his trauma and fear of the ocean drives him try and control it. The people he hires for his organization can be more shady than he his because they have the wall of the organization to hide behind if trouble arises. It'd be cool if he has his base on a high mountain, so he's far far away from the sea which he wishes to conquer. The region takes place near some islands, so naturally the ocean and such is quite a reoccurring scene to see, and the story this way seems plausible imo.

Sorry for kind of jumping into the thread meant for the story writers. I just thought I'd reiterate an idea that was mentioned previously and in my opinion holds well.
    Old September 26th, 2016 (2:31 PM).

Quote:
    So like the genesis flood narrative?
    EXACTLY!
    Can we call him Noah?! xD

Quote:
    I prefer to keep him "just Dad" at the start of the story, where he might even assist you a couple of times in the story (and possibly battle you as well to see how strong you've become), and gradually you're noticing there's something fishy going on with that guy until you find out he's actually "evil". Possibly you could have met his minions/grunts a couple of times before that (if he has those).
    Well if you guys prefer this route I can live with it xD

I'm not so fond of the shipwreck as motivation since it feels kind of nonsensical. However I wouldn't mind a shipwreck or something serving as Noah's (I'm calling him that until further notice xD) reason for choosing to use the sea as his weapon.
    Old September 27th, 2016 (5:50 AM).
    Resident ASMAGICIAN

Quote:
      I think letting them just run amok would work well since we can say his capture of Lugia was the trigger. Then the Protag can have the option of capaturing them to combat the badassness that is Lugia or something.
      Can we make him release the birds one by one (because they need to all be released simultaneously to summon Lugia)? That gives the Dad milestones to work towards throughout the story, and allows the player to capture them, because ultimately the father only cares about Lugia.
      Also, can he have developed a Master Ball for the sole purpose to catch Lugia?

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
      Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
      Old September 27th, 2016 (6:40 AM).
      Free supporter

Aww, no one likes the shipwreck idea :(

As for your suggestion, I'd hope to keep big religious references out if possible. It can get offensive for some people, and a delicate topic to play around (especially considering the evil team is the one who utilizes this). I'm also confused how Lugia would be able to flood the world and how that cleanses anything. Certainly Lugia does not have that kind of power.

Dad has to be rather delusional to believe flooding the world will be a means to save it. I can understand if he had the mentality like the leader of team flare does in the anime, where he sees humans as parasites ruining the world (so he wants to destroy everything). But that doesn't seem original, and is kind of boring in my opinion. To keep "The father is not purely evil -- he acts out of some misguided mindset" point in the OP properly addressed, I do not think his goal would be to purely wipe out humanity/pokemon/ect. It'd end up being a clone of what team flare wanted to do but with a different legendary.

Why is he purely not evil? Answering this question while keeping him somewhat distinct from previous villains will be the challenge I think.

Maybe he wants to find something in the Sea and he needs to use Lugia to find it? That may be an interesting premise as well for why he tries to obtain Lugia.
      --

I really like the point where he utilizes Mom's research to find Lugia.

I also like this:
      Quote:
      Old September 27th, 2016 (2:35 PM).
      Boy Wonder

Avoiding the problem of wiping humanity to restart is simple enough. We just have to make something else the goal and wiping out a large portion of humanity is just a byproduct, one he sees as a necessary loss to achieve the greater good. Flooding the world is a bit too Team Aquaish and giving the world a fresh start is too Noah's floodish (though I like the idea of that being his name).

How about something like he's trying to change the landscape of region to change the power balance? He's wiping out some aspect of the unjust system (the government?) to force the region to find a better system or at least put everyone on the same level, starting from nothing. And if a few people get done out because of that, then that's both a necessary sacrifice for a greater cause and it puts humanity on a more manageable level (maybe one reason the system is unfair is because there are too many people for the amount of resources?).

KH-Vids
        Old September 27th, 2016 (3:19 PM).
        Island Kahuna

Nature: Modest
          Quote:
          Avoiding the problem of wiping humanity to restart is simple enough. We just have to make something else the goal and wiping out a large portion of humanity is just a byproduct, one he sees as a necessary loss to achieve the greater good. Flooding the world is a bit too Team Aquaish and giving the world a fresh start is too Noah's floodish (though I like the idea of that being his name).

How about something like he's trying to change the landscape of region to change the power balance? He's wiping out some aspect of the unjust system (the government?) to force the region to find a better system or at least put everyone on the same level, starting from nothing. And if a few people get done out because of that, then that's both a necessary sacrifice for a greater cause and it puts humanity on a more manageable level (maybe one reason the system is unfair is because there are too many people for the amount of resources?).
          I know this is not my thread/job but I wanted to voice my opinion all the same. I think having a strain on resources is a good idea. They all live on islands and it would be challenging to ship in resources from outside the archipelago and the harsh climates make it difficult for crops to thrive. I also recall that in one of the anime episodes, Ash visits an island which is overrun with tourists (Orange Islands) and there's that wacky character who hates them for ruining his town. Maybe we could go with something like that too, at least on one of the islands (where the player is from - Moltres' island/hot climate).
          Old September 27th, 2016 (4:37 PM).

Quote:

I didn't mean to suggest killing off all of humanity because that doesn't make sense. More like, causing enough destruction just in that region that it forces change. Like, forces governmental collapse and facilitates his own takeover. If a few innocents have to die for him to make his better world - so be it.

I don't think his method is exactly too similar to Archie/Team Aqua. I don't think the goal should be literally flooding the landscape permanently, more like using massive waves/tsunamis/floods to cause the calamity and then allowing the water to recede as it normally would. I'd be more worried about similarities to Lysandre/Team Flare.

As for worrying about the religious reference, I don't see the problem. There's religious/spiritual references all throughout Pokemon (Norse, Shinto, Genies etc etc) and the Flood Legend is found in a great deal of different religions anyway ie. Christianity and Islam whilst the original myth came from middle eastern pantheon.
          Old September 28th, 2016 (5:38 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
          (updated the OP with a few points that may be worth considering about the father)
          Old September 28th, 2016 (9:05 AM).

Okay so here's a set of ideas for another plotline for the community hack brainstormed in Discord.

Once again proposing the idea that, who I will refer to as "Bad dad" for convenience, lost family during an accident involving Lugia.

I believe Bad dad's goal should be a clash between what he believes is right and the culture of the region and the coexistence of people and Pokemon which is a common theme for the entire series.

In detail, the region should have a culture basically trying to rid the legendary birds of guilt because Lugia didn't step in even though they heavily alter the region's climate and on occasion cause disasters that bring harm to people and Pokemon alike. Bad dad on the other hand due to what happened to him sees the birds as a menace along with Lugia's perceived ignorance. Bad dad wants to draw out and forcefully capture Lugia to keep the birds in check as he sees fit in order to protect the region from the disasters. Most of all, he wishes to protect you from those disasters.

He would at first attempt to capture the birds but fail and cause a disaster. Bad dad would then realize that he unfortunately has to cause more disasters by provoking the birds to lure out Lugia. Maybe Bad dad could step in and try and help people to make the birds look worse and make himself feel less guilty for causing these. The evil team he leads would be formed out of other people who were impacted by the birds' collateral damage, though in more mundane ways for some comical Grunt dialogue.

At the very end as you finally battle Bad dad, he would begin to realize his mistake as he never wanted to fight you over this and he just wanted to protect you from the legends who took his family away long ago.

Also I believe your mom should not only be the regional professor but a meteorologist as well who eventually gifts you a Castform. Having it in your team during the final matchup with Bad dad would prompt special dialogue.

I believe there might be more I missed, but this is what I remember and I feel like I should chime in since I'm not really a fan of Alpha Sapphire: Lugia edition.
            Old September 28th, 2016 (10:24 AM).
            Island Kahuna

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Angry_Bird404 View Post
              Okay so here's a set of ideas for another plotline for the community hack brainstormed in Discord.

Once again proposing the idea that, who I will refer to as "Bad dad" for convenience, lost family during an accident involving Lugia.

I believe Bad dad's goal should be a clash between what he believes is right and the culture of the region and the coexistence of people and Pokemon which is a common theme for the entire series.

In detail, the region should have a culture basically trying to rid the legendary birds of guilt because Lugia didn't step in even though they heavily alter the region's climate and on occasion cause disasters that bring harm to people and Pokemon alike. Bad dad on the other hand due to what happened to him sees the birds as a menace along with Lugia's perceived ignorance. Bad dad wants to draw out and forcefully capture Lugia to keep the birds in check as he sees fit in order to protect the region from the disasters. Most of all, he wishes to protect you from those disasters.

He would at first attempt to capture the birds but fail and cause a disaster. Bad dad would then realize that he unfortunately has to cause more disasters by provoking the birds to lure out Lugia. Maybe Bad dad could step in and try and help people to make the birds look worse and make himself feel less guilty for causing these. The evil team he leads would be formed out of other people who were impacted by the birds' collateral damage, though in more mundane ways for some comical Grunt dialogue.

At the very end as you finally battle Bad dad, he would begin to realize his mistake as he never wanted to fight you over this and he just wanted to protect you from the legends who took his family away long ago.

Also I believe your mom should not only be the regional professor but a meteorologist as well who eventually gifts you a Castform. Having it in your team during the final matchup with Bad dad would prompt special dialogue.

I believe there might be more I missed, but this is what I remember and I feel like I should chime in since I'm not really a fan of Alpha Sapphire: Lugia edition.
              Grunt: I lost my favourite stuffed animal when Moltres burned my home.
              Old September 30th, 2016 (5:12 AM).
              Free supporter

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Angry_Bird404 View Post
              I prefer something along these lines as well. However, I'm not really sold on the fact that the birds are creating chaos voluntarily throughout the series. In cannon they're more like legendary Pokemon most people never see in their life time. It'd make sense to have them causing the disasters on a reactive basis, rather than already causing disasters. I think you can cleanly involve those tablets Harry had posted in the original story thread for the catalyst. Perhaps all 3 of those are needed to stop the whirlpool/ocean currents near a dive spot they believe Lugia to be in, and seizing the tablets causes the birds to enrage. That'd be an interesting premise to play around to explain why the birds are causing the disasters.

I do think you can involve the Birds in Dad's past as a personal reason for him to want to control the birds via Lugia (he deems them as dangerous even though they are rarely sighted creatures). How nice would it be that the fact he's stealing the tablets away from their locations and causing them to actually go around causing these disasters can act as a reason for him to further justify his idea that the birds are dangerous.

It can be interesting to have the executives of his organization have different goals than him aswell, but all their goals have the same sort of ends. Maybe one wants more power and seeks lugia, others are scientists who want to test their newly developed pokeball on lugia, ect. I believe the pokeball stuff is in the 1st post, so might as well tag it here.

I think there should be more focus on addressing certain parts of the story first, rather than trying to come up with the big story at once.

1) How will you connect the birds to lugia
              2) Why does dad want lugia?

These two questions need to be answered. I too dislike the flood idea, as it resembles too many themes from the current game, contains religious references in a negative light, doesn't mesh well with the birds, and in my opinion a little dull. It might be considered deep or meaningful topic in actual writing, but in the game, I feel like it doesn't fit well when it's too complicated.

I would like to see some sort of middle ground reached. It's hard to do so when the story devs aren't posting actively (here or on the discord channel). We sort of need atleast a general story before the other aspects can really be progressed, so please pop in and discuss more. It would be a shame for an executive decision to be made based on the very very few ideas that have been posted so far.
              Old September 30th, 2016 (11:43 AM). Edited September 30th, 2016 by Lunos.
              Random Uruguayan User

Nature: Lonely
                To be fair, Lugia just doesn't give too many options for a coherent plot, clearly.
                I can only think in:
                -The plot where "Noah" (Big daddy's temporal name) wants to catch Lugia in order to control the sea and make it less dangerous be it by sealing it or just erasing it (Which actually fits better with Groudon).
                -And the XD Plot where Evil Team somehow corrupted Lugia transforming it into XD001 (Dark Lugia/Shadow Lugia).

Now, after an hour of hard thinking on it, I've came up with a sort of fusion made by the 2 plots, here it is:
                Maybe Noah wanted to catch Lugia to protect his family, but after reaching Lugia (who was corrupted because of X Reason) Noah gets corrupted by Shadow Lugia which leads Noah to believe that erasing or getting absolute control over the sea is the only way to protect his family, having the fear of his childhood's trauma being awoken by Shadow Lugia's corruption.

After that, things could go in a similar way that it was mentioned by others:
                -He makes his own organization.
                -Gets his own scientists to investigate on the method to catch Shadow Lugia, which could basically lead him to find that the 3 Legendary Birds are a requeriment and that being as powerful as it is, catching Shadow Lugia would require an extremely powerful Custom Poke Ball.
                -Etc, etc, etc.

Now, to answer FBI's questions related to my idea:
                1) How will you connect the birds to lugia?
                Shadow Lugia is essentially a Lugia with excess of power, a Lugia who lost its north and is producing chaos as a consequence of being unable to control his own power.
                To get his hand on such an entity, Noah would need the 3 Birds in order to get Lugia's attention and catch it.
                Also, before all that, the birds could progressively make disturbs on the Region's weather as a method to self-protect themselves having knowledge of Noah's intentions.

2) Why does dad want lugia?
                Again, being drowned in his own darkness, Noah is confused.
                As a consequence of this he forced his mind to believe that getting Lugia is the only way to absolutely protect his family.

Also, something that I wanted to put aside to not misguide everyone's attention from my plot's idea, was that a 2nd Evil Team could basically been the reason behind Lugia's corruption.
                In my head, they basically ran away after seeing the mess they did.
                They could become a potential ally of the main character in order to revindicate at some point of the plot though.
                And to tie up loose ends, that could be the point where they actually explain whatever they did.

So.. how does it sound? I never gave this kind of things a try before, so pardon me in advance </3
                Old September 30th, 2016 (1:44 PM).
                Free supporter

Hmm, I don't think shadow lugia needs to be introduced to make this work and I think the story actually gets too complicated when you try to fit the shadow lugia into the past. Remember that the main character is the player, not the father.

It'd make better sense for the father to have a simple personal goal which he later realizes was misguided. As for the birds, would you think that involving them as part of the father's goal makes sense or wouldn't it be better to have them act as a consequence for his actions?

To combine the flood story, what if we do the opposite? Lately on discord there was talks about an island under the ocean (Like Atlantis). Imagine if there was something on that island that was important to the father's research. Like some key to understanding mega evolution or a rock with a special property. The father may want to obtain this rock, and use the mother's help to further expand upon current understanding of Pokemon evolution (or something like that). Though the area where the island is thought to be is protected by strong ocean currents, so dad gets this idea. He can utilize Lugia to withdraw the ocean until he can seize the sample. However, receding the tide so low kills off much of the marine life and destroys the man made city at the centre of the region. (Check the world map in the region thread for reference).

I think that would combine the calamity situation and the birds can just be the world's response to Lugia being captured, or we can go to the idea that dad is trying to bait lugia out.

How does something like that sound? Does that satisfy the flood-supporting party?
                Old October 1st, 2016 (9:00 AM).
                Island Kahuna

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by FBI View Post
                  Hmm, I don't think shadow lugia needs to be introduced to make this work and I think the story actually gets too complicated when you try to fit the shadow lugia into the past. Remember that the main character is the player, not the father.

It'd make better sense for the father to have a simple personal goal which he later realizes was misguided. As for the birds, would you think that involving them as part of the father's goal makes sense or wouldn't it be better to have them act as a consequence for his actions?

To combine the flood story, what if we do the opposite? Lately on discord there was talks about an island under the ocean (Like Atlantis). Imagine if there was something on that island that was important to the father's research. Like some key to understanding mega evolution or a rock with a special property. The father may want to obtain this rock, and use the mother's help to further expand upon current understanding of Pokemon evolution (or something like that). Though the area where the island is thought to be is protected by strong ocean currents, so dad gets this idea. He can utilize Lugia to withdraw the ocean until he can seize the sample. However, receding the tide so low kills off much of the marine life and destroys the man made city at the centre of the region. (Check the world map in the region thread for reference).

I think that would combine the calamity situation and the birds can just be the world's response to Lugia being captured, or we can go to the idea that dad is trying to bait lugia out.

How does something like that sound? Does that satisfy the flood-supporting party?
                  Yes, this does not have to be Dad flooding the region, it makes sense to use Lugia to get to the lost city of whateveritsnameis.

I believe that the mother was researching ancient Pokemon who used to reside in the city before it sank, and she and her family moved to the region so she could further her research. They hit a dead end after realising the city would be impossible to get to due to the water currents, and the mother reluctantly gives up her work to become the professor who hands out Pokemon to new trainers, whilst now researching regional forms, or weather patterns (whatever you want). The father vows to find a way to help his wife, and so he leaves just before she has a child (or perhaps when the child/player is very young - thus he won't remember his father). Unfortunately the mother never sees him again and believes he probably died at sea. You [player] one day decides you want to venture out into the world (ideas for a reasons stated below). Your mother isn't keen on the idea but she knows she can't stop you, so simply gives you a Pokemon to help you on your way. Nothing is really said about the father, thus you won't even think he's in the game to begin with.

You'll travel across the islands, helping people in need due to the drastic changes in weather, which I think should occur after the first gym (or whatever we're doing). You'll come across your father once or twice but he won't say anything to you until near the end where he'll comment on how you have your mother's eyes and proceed to explain who he is in relation to you and why he left. From there maybe you can decide whether to help him or stop him, but in the end you'll get to face him when Lugia's parting of the sea begins to flood nearby land and ruin marine life. If you choose to join him, you can briefly become part of his team and receive small quests/missions from him, leaving the gym/helping people until after you defeat Lugia/dad (so you have a short post-story of helping the nearby islands). If you choose not to join him, you can simply continue helping people/gyms until you meet your father again.

Ideas for going on a journey:

- You want to search for your father; this would mean you're aware of his existence and his disappearance. We can just say he disappeared a year or so ago, rather than when you were a child.
                  - You find your mother's old research and want to help.
                  - The recent natural disasters brought about a desire to help those affected (this would mean the disasters begin before the journey and not during).

I personally like the second one best because that way you don't know anything about your father, and you can stumble upon the damage caused by the birds and decide to help that way.
                  Old October 1st, 2016 (9:11 AM).
                  Free supporter

You have some interesting points Zervais, certainly. However, I think the "find your father" and "mystery dad" troupe is too commonly used, additionally it's stated that the father is also a business owner in the first post, so he can't just disappear.

I believe it'd be cool if mom and dad seperated because dad became too focused on his company. Then dad misses mom and wants to fix their relationship by offering her the research material she's always wanted. How does that sound instead?

I really like this idea as well:
                  Quote:
                  You find your mother's old research and want to help.
                  Old October 1st, 2016 (11:15 AM).
                  Island Kahuna

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by FBI View Post
                    You have some interesting points Zervais, certainly. However, I think the "find your father" and "mystery dad" troupe is too commonly used, additionally it's stated that the father is also a business owner in the first post, so he can't just disappear.

I believe it'd be cool if mom and dad seperated because dad became too focused on his company. Then dad misses mom and wants to fix their relationship by offering her the research material she's always wanted. How does that sound instead?

I really like this idea as well:
                    I completely forgot about that point, but yes, this idea of them separating works very well. At least then we can have the player meet the father and have a civil conversation with him and later on you find out he's on the wrong side (so to speak) but I still think having the option to join him or not would be fun to implement, it isn't a huge decision based feature but still something which players have to make it feel personal to them, and perhaps warrant a second play through. The decision would come when you find out what your father is doing and his reasons for it. Considering your start would be to help your mother with her research, you'd technically have the same goal as your father and that makes things complicated seeing as you might not agree with the way he's going about doing it.
                    Old October 2nd, 2016 (5:14 PM).
                    Boy Wonder

I've got more coming, but I'd rather see people's opinions on the story bit by bit before continuing. A lot easier to work that way then post everything at once and have to change everything. I can take this bit and expand both the background of the characters and the story going forward. I'm trying to find the balance between what the hackers want to hack and the stories I'm coming up with. This is pretty much just the story from the starter town to the first gym, how the actual in-game story starts, the roles of the parents and the player's motivation at the start.

Quote:
                      The islands of [REGION] are known for their climate. Extreme cold, dry heat, and electrical storms are each the default weather for an island. Though the locals are used to it, thanks to the stories of the legendary birds, the climate always takes newcomers by surprise, as the weather has no basis in climate science.

Professor [PLAYER'S MOM] from the [REGION OF THE STARTERS (pleasebeJohto)] has moved to [REGION] with her young child [PLAYER] and husband [NOAH?] to study the climate. After years of researching, Prof. [MOM] has made some strides on the climate's relationship with Pokémon and the inhabitants of [REGION], but has come no closer on learning why the climate is the way it is, bringing her research to a standstill. As her research slid to the backburner, Prof. [MOM] became the regional professor, handing out Pokémon to new trainers.

Meanwhile, her husband [NOAH] founded his own business, making his name in the manufacturing of several Pokémon-related items and the development of land. [PLAYER] has grown up helping both of his/her parents with their research, but after turning [15-17], [PLAYER] is given the opportunity to embark on his/her very own Pokémon adventure. After being given a starter Pokémon from Prof. [MOM], [PLAYER] is asked to travel the land and see many different kinds of Pokémon and experience the climate for him/herself with a set of fresh eyes.

After visiting [NOAH] in the nearby city of [FIRST GYM CITY], [NOAH] gives [PLAYER] the [POKéNAV] tells [PLAYER] to try his/her luck with the nearby gym and test out his/her strength. After winning, [NOAH] gifts [PLAYER] a new Pokémon and tells him/her about the Pokémon League and the legend of a lost city, the secrets of which are known only to the League.
                      Something to note, we haven't talked about rivals yet. I have an idea for a jerk rival (a la Blue) who tries to beat the villain team herself for the glory and sees the player as someone trying to steal that from her. Also, maybe a friendly rival, too, who wants goes through the Pokémon League challenge alongside the player.

KH-Vids
                      Old October 2nd, 2016 (5:28 PM). Edited October 2nd, 2016 by LilBueno.
                      Boy Wonder

Quote:
                        Quote:
                        Just to comment on some of the points being made

-I don't see anything wrong with a world flood's connotations. It may be mostly religious, but the religion doesn't have the monopoly on the idea, especially considering how the idea is used through many different religions. My main complaint with the idea is that we've seen in Gen III with Team Aqua, but that can be easily avoided as long as the Team is different and have a different motivation. The idea I'm going with right now doesn't have a "fix the unjust system" motivation for big bad dad, but if it did, I'd go with the flood and the unjust system being a prejudice against non-natives (such as the Player family who came from another region).

-To go with that, I'm going with the "I need Lugia to get this special item!" goal.

-I do like the idea of a shipwreck in the dad's past. Right now, I'm leaning towards a research team in the past being sent into the sea either by the player's mother but the loss of the team is what caused her to stop her research and become a more traditional regional professor OR a team sent by the player's dad which maybe caused his company to suffer after the shipwreck.

-Still working on the role of the Birds' and the disasters caused by them for whatever reason, but their tablets will be used in my idea.

-Definitely do agree that the missing father trope is a bit too played out, regardless of how it's been done. Besides, we don't normally see both parents having significant roles in the main series; I think we should make them both relevant for this.

-Just noticed I missed FBI's point about the parents being separated. We can go with this either way. Personally, I prefer them being together.

KH-Vids
                        Old October 2nd, 2016 (6:31 PM).
                        Free supporter

Looking forward to reading your idea. I'm curious how you will tie the rival into all of this :)

Quick Reply