The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacks Studio PokéCommunity ROM Hack Planning
Concept Mega Articuno

Planning Where all the hard work happens. Got an idea? You don't have to be part of the team to share it with us.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old November 21st, 2016 (12:46 AM).
gimmepie's Avatar
gimmepie gimmepie is offline
  • GT
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Mild
Posts: 17,277
We talked a a bit more generally about the Mega Birds and Lugia-Deapsea Forme earlier, but now if it's alright with you guys I'd like to go into more detail and plan them out individually when it comes to stats etc.

We seem kind of unsure on abilities although lots of good ideas were tossed around and we never really got to stats. The one thing I think we all agreed on was that we didn't want to change the Birds' typing. So why don't we start with Articuno and work out an ability for it and then move over to its stats after that?

The primary contenders from before were to simply give Articuno Snow Warning/A powered up Snow Warning or to create a "Terrain" ability like the Tapu have. I actually have a third idea I'd like to suggest though, which I'm calling "Climate" abilities. Basically they decrease/increase certain stats for all Pokemon in play. So for Articuno is could be "Cold Climate" which could lower the Speed of all non-Ice (and water?) types and raise the Sp. Def of all Ice (and water?) types.

I feel like the first two options rip off ORAS/SM too much really whilst what I'm suggesting now fits our narrative whilst also being unique.
__________________
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #2    
Old November 22nd, 2016 (3:35 AM).
Logan's Avatar
Logan Logan is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Salisbury, England
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Posts: 10,159
Might be a good idea to try and get some the competitive battling community involved on helping us with this one :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven
.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old November 22nd, 2016 (4:10 AM).
Aurora Aurora is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Posts: 847
If you were to give Snow Warning to Articuno, you would need to give Zapdos Drizzle and Moltres Drought to keep the theme going. Drought Moltres would be obscenely difficult to switch into, while Zapdos gets free Thunders and access to arguably the best weather-inducing ability in the game. Zapdos also has access to Volt Switch, meaning it would be too easy for it to switch out of a counter and bring in something that can take even more advantage of rain (like Swift Swim Kingdra). Surge abilities are related to Tapu lore, so I wouldn't implement Freeze Surge (I assume that's what it would be called?) Ice-type attacks getting buffed by 50% is also somewhat of a concern, as, unlike the other types buffed by Terrain (Grass, Electric, Psychic), nothing is immune to Ice-type attacks and the Ice-type is also impressive enough offensively already without a free boost.

Your Climate ability sounds like a good and inventive idea, but I would not extend the Special Defense or immunity to having Speed lowered to Water-type Pokemon. Water-types are already defensively proficient enough as it is, and I shudder at the thought of something like physically defensive Toxapex running around with a free Special Defense buff.
Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old November 22nd, 2016 (8:54 AM).
Castform's Avatar
Castform Castform is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Weather Institute in Hoenn
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Posts: 20,691
Not much to add other than I agree completely with (a)urora!
__________________


Administrator


Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old November 23rd, 2016 (1:49 AM).
gimmepie's Avatar
gimmepie gimmepie is offline
  • GT
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Mild
Posts: 17,277
Yeah, she's completely right as per usual lol. Definitely ignore Water-types.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old November 24th, 2016 (1:10 AM).
gimmepie's Avatar
gimmepie gimmepie is offline
  • GT
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Mild
Posts: 17,277
So uh... if we all agree with Aurora and and want to run with my suggestion minus the water benefits, do we move onto stats or should we wait longer?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old November 24th, 2016 (2:17 AM).
Logan's Avatar
Logan Logan is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Salisbury, England
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Posts: 10,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
So uh... if we all agree with Aurora and and want to run with my suggestion minus the water benefits, do we move onto stats or should we wait longer?
Sure!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old November 24th, 2016 (3:27 AM).
gimmepie's Avatar
gimmepie gimmepie is offline
  • GT
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Mild
Posts: 17,277
Well considering Articuno's a defensive Pokemon primarily (although with workable Sp. Atk) and that its ability would raise its Sp. Def (by one stage I'm assuming), I'm thinking something like this for Mega Articuno

HP: 90
Atk: 85
Def: 125 (+25)
Sp. Atk: 110 (+15)
Sp. Def: 165 (+40)
Spe: 105 (+20)

That's pretty damn powerful though, so anyone else have any suggestions?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old November 24th, 2016 (7:16 AM).
FBI's Avatar
FBI FBI is offline
Free supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Unknown Island
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
Well considering Articuno's a defensive Pokemon primarily (although with workable Sp. Atk) and that its ability would raise its Sp. Def (by one stage I'm assuming), I'm thinking something like this for Mega Articuno

HP: 90
Atk: 85
Def: 125 (+25)
Sp. Atk: 110 (+15)
Sp. Def: 165 (+40)
Spe: 105 (+20)

That's pretty damn powerful though, so anyone else have any suggestions?
I think it's too fast, maybe we can drop some speed and increase the health instead?
__________________
...
Reply With Quote
  #10    
Old November 24th, 2016 (1:59 PM).
Touched's Avatar
Touched Touched is offline
Resident ASMAGICIAN
     
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 626
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FBI View Post
    I think it's too fast, maybe we can drop some speed and increase the health instead?
    Megas don't ever change HP (probably to avoid HP weirdness)
    __________________

    A Pokemon that is discriminated!
    Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
    Reply With Quote
      #11    
    Old November 24th, 2016 (9:58 PM).
    gimmepie's Avatar
    gimmepie gimmepie is offline
    • GT
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Location: Australia
    Age: 22
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Mild
    Posts: 17,277
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FBI View Post
    I think it's too fast, maybe we can drop some speed and increase the health instead?
    Touched is right, we can't change a Mega's health.
    105 isn't actually that fast though compared to a lot of other things and certainly not for a legendary. Before we M-Evolve it Zapdos already has base 100 Speed for example, Raichu has 110, Dugtrio has 120 and so on and so forth.
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #12    
    Old November 25th, 2016 (12:40 PM).
    hackstar's Avatar
    hackstar hackstar is offline
    Returned!
       
      Join Date: Jan 2013
      Location: Saturn
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Gentle
      Posts: 241
      This was interesting thread! like this way, we can make other new megas in a balance way.
      __________________
      Always FEEL CONFIDENT!!!
      Reply With Quote
        #13    
      Old November 25th, 2016 (1:57 PM).
      FBI's Avatar
      FBI FBI is offline
      Free supporter
       
      Join Date: Jan 2013
      Location: Unknown Island
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 1,858
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
      Touched is right, we can't change a Mega's health.
      105 isn't actually that fast though compared to a lot of other things and certainly not for a legendary. Before we M-Evolve it Zapdos already has base 100 Speed for example, Raichu has 110, Dugtrio has 120 and so on and so forth.
      True. I guess it would be quite anti-climatic if it wasn't a little OP anyways :P
      __________________
      ...
      Reply With Quote
        #14    
      Old November 25th, 2016 (9:43 PM).
      gimmepie's Avatar
      gimmepie gimmepie is offline
      • GT
       
      Join Date: May 2012
      Location: Australia
      Age: 22
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Mild
      Posts: 17,277
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by FBI View Post
      True. I guess it would be quite anti-climatic if it wasn't a little OP anyways :P
      I don't know about OP, it's still an Ice type ;)
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #15    
      Old November 27th, 2016 (11:53 PM).
      gimmepie's Avatar
      gimmepie gimmepie is offline
      • GT
       
      Join Date: May 2012
      Location: Australia
      Age: 22
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Mild
      Posts: 17,277
      So... does this mean everyone is okay with what we have here then?
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #16    
      Old November 28th, 2016 (12:24 AM).
      Touched's Avatar
      Touched Touched is offline
      Resident ASMAGICIAN
         
        Join Date: Jul 2014
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 626
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
        So... does this mean everyone is okay with what we have here then?
        I just need to know how your climate ability idea will work. Is it a flat stat mod that only gets applied in the damage calculation like burn or is it something that works like intimidate with a stage buff?

        But yeah the stats look good.
        __________________

        A Pokemon that is discriminated!
        Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
        Reply With Quote
          #17    
        Old November 28th, 2016 (12:37 AM).
        gimmepie's Avatar
        gimmepie gimmepie is offline
        • GT
         
        Join Date: May 2012
        Location: Australia
        Age: 22
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Mild
        Posts: 17,277
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Touched View Post
        I just need to know how your climate ability idea will work. Is it a flat stat mod that only gets applied in the damage calculation like burn or is it something that works like intimidate with a stage buff?

        But yeah the stats look good.
        It works like Intimidate more or less, but it's permanently in effect until Articuno leaves the field.
        +1 Stage Sp. Def (Ice)
        -1 Stage Spe (Non-Ice)

        So in a double battle where person A has Articuno and Spheal and person B has Arcanine and another Spheal (that's pretty common in ROM Hacking right?), Articuno and the two Spheals have their normal Speed but get +1 Sp. Def whilst the Arcanine has its normal Sp. Def but -1 Stage in Speed. When person A switches out Articuno though, all the stats return to normal.

        I probably didn't need to go in detail, but just in case xD
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #18    
        Old November 28th, 2016 (1:58 AM).
        Logan's Avatar
        Logan Logan is offline
         
        Join Date: Nov 2008
        Location: Salisbury, England
        Age: 23
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Sassy
        Posts: 10,159
        That's all sounding excellent, gimme :)
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #19    
        Old November 28th, 2016 (2:19 AM).
        gimmepie's Avatar
        gimmepie gimmepie is offline
        • GT
         
        Join Date: May 2012
        Location: Australia
        Age: 22
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Mild
        Posts: 17,277
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
        That's all sounding excellent, gimme :)
        Do you mind if I go on to a Zapdos thread then?
        I have no idea if it even makes sense to be doing this now tbh but it's one of the few things I can really do to contribute haha
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #20    
        Old November 28th, 2016 (2:28 AM).
        Logan's Avatar
        Logan Logan is offline
         
        Join Date: Nov 2008
        Location: Salisbury, England
        Age: 23
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Sassy
        Posts: 10,159
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
        Do you mind if I go on to a Zapdos thread then?
        I have no idea if it even makes sense to be doing this now tbh but it's one of the few things I can really do to contribute haha
        Works with me :D
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #21    
        Old November 28th, 2016 (2:34 AM).
        Touched's Avatar
        Touched Touched is offline
        Resident ASMAGICIAN
           
          Join Date: Jul 2014
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 626
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
          It works like Intimidate more or less, but it's permanently in effect until Articuno leaves the field.
          +1 Stage Sp. Def (Ice)
          -1 Stage Spe (Non-Ice)

          So in a double battle where person A has Articuno and Spheal and person B has Arcanine and another Spheal (that's pretty common in ROM Hacking right?), Articuno and the two Spheals have their normal Speed but get +1 Sp. Def whilst the Arcanine has its normal Sp. Def but -1 Stage in Speed. When person A switches out Articuno though, all the stats return to normal.

          I probably didn't need to go in detail, but just in case xD
          Not really sure how that would work. E.g. in doubles: if I max out Sp. Def, then switch my other side out for a Articuno I should +1 my Sp. Def. However, since I'm maxed out this fails. When Articuno switches out, it should stay maxed out because the boost was never applied but instead since everyone loses a stage it will be +5.
          Maybe we should rather consider making this boost transparent and act like a hidden 7th stage. This would be less annoying too since you wouldn't see 4 stat up and down animations every time Articuno was switched in or out.

          I guess it doesn't matter for now though, we can discuss technicalities later when we get round to programming the ability.
          __________________

          A Pokemon that is discriminated!
          Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
          Reply With Quote
          Reply

          Quick Reply

          Join the conversation!

          Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

          Create a PokéCommunity Account

          Sponsored Links
          Thread Tools

          Posting Rules
          You may not post new threads
          You may not post replies
          You may not post attachments
          You may not edit your posts

          BB code is On
          Smilies are On
          [IMG] code is On
          HTML code is Off

          Forum Jump


          All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:30 PM.