• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Hunting in crystal

Years
  • Age 43
  • NC
  • Seen Mar 29, 2018
since they want me to post stuff from the beginning of my game in order to have a journal I will give a small blah, blah detailed account of my play through Crystal so far.

I started off with Cyndaquil I original wanted him shiny and tried several times...meaning I tried about 500 times, then decided I wanted to relive my games by playing Crystal as is so I got a fem Cynda and went from there. I eventually ended up after getting my first set of pokeballs going after phampy and it took ages and the majority of my pokeballs to get him, he unfortunately kept running, but in the end I got him.

I kinda decided later after this to hunt a few shinies in this, Nidoran, my odd egg and such, in the meantime I kept going and caught a regular non shiny Wooper, I kinda suck at shiny hunts in this. :P

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh I'm glad you decided to do a detailed journal after all! Shame you didn't get the shiny Cyndaquil, but hey you can always breed it! Is that the plan down the road? :)

By the way, you're free to post multiple times in a row in a travel journal but only if it hasn't had posts in a couple of days (two or three days). Feel free to make a cute update post every few days and I'll definitely keep an eye on your shiny journey! Here's hoping you'll have a couple more in a few days.

When did you start playing by the way?

Years
  • Age 43
  • NC
  • Seen Mar 29, 2018
Thinking of just deleting my save file and staring over to go for a new odd egg shiny in game, luckily it will not take me too long to get back there, and I feel odd trying to think back on when I started Crystal about everything I did just so I can make a journal on this, because I didn't even decide to make a journal until halfway into my game anyway, but since that is not allowed I'll just delete and start from scratch.

Started my game over, and decided to go with names revolving around fruit and or berries for my restart in this game, so I now have a female Cyndaquil named Cherry. Working on getting another Phampy now, after visiting Mr, Pokémon and the oddness between he and Professor Oak. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 43
  • NC
  • Seen Mar 29, 2018
Phanpy probably has to be one of the more annoying catches in Crystal, 5% encounter rate and what....80% run away. It took me forever to catch one again, but I got a male this time...and I swear Phanpy is a troll or something, one let me chuck 5 pokeballs before it fled. XD

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
I've never tried shiny hunting in GSC! The gen 2 shiny sprites are really pretty. I like full odds hunting so maybe I'll give it a try. Keep at it, sometimes you have to reach 1000 encounters before getting a shiny. I believe in you.

Years
  • Age 43
  • NC
  • Seen Mar 29, 2018
Took on Bugsy and won easily, since Quilava. XD

Also got another odd egg and almost choked when it hatched into a shiny Pichu...totally keeping her. XD

I did have a shiny Elekid in my previous game, but this is kinda better. I do have a certain fondness for electric types regardless.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
This sounds like a fun approach. I haven't had a chance to start on my Crystal replay yet, but I've never gotten a shiny Odd Egg before, and I've been planning on resetting for one when I get to that point as well. Pichu is my favorite of the hatchlings, so congrats on getting a shiny one!

If you're serious about shinies, and you're interested in breeding them, there's a trick you can use use to get a shiny Ditto (which helps you because shininess is dependent on DVs (IVs) in gen II). I've never done it (though I'm planning on getting around to it at some point on the VC versions of gen II), but if you have two systems and can trade (and have access to a gen I game), you can take your Red Gyarados and send it to gen I. Teach Gyarados Mimic from RBY TM31 (if you really want to speed things up, send it back to Crystal, delete its other moves at the move deleter, and send it back to RBY knowing nothing but Mimic), then encounter a Ditto with Gyarados in your lead position. Use Mimic on Ditto to learn Transform. Then, have Ditto use Transform on you twice (do something to waste your turn while waiting for Ditto to use Transform again, like using an item). After Ditto's second transformation, you can go ahead and catch it. It should have the same DVs as Gyarados (essentially, by having Ditto transform multiple times, the game ends up permanently assigning Gyarados's DVs to Ditto), which will make it shiny when transferred to GSC. If you then send it back to Crystal, you can use it for an increase chance of hatching a shiny (I believe you'll have a 1/64 chance instead of the regular 1/8192 chance).

Back