• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Intermittent Fasting

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I've been recently seeing ad videos about this website called Science Based Six Pack, where it encourages people to try out intermittent fasting to lose weight. How intermittent fasting works is that you limit your eating in a certain time period (the most recommended is the afternoon to 8 PM). I'll post the beginner's guide to it here. I've been wanting to try this out since I found out that I weight 206 pounds, meaning I'm overweight, but my mother won't allow me because she's one of those people who still believes in the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" myth, when it has been recently debunked and intermittent fasting requires you to skip breakfast because, contrary to popular belief, it does not kickstart your metabolism. She still doesn't listen to them and told me not to believe everything I read. But what about you guys? Have you ever heard of or tried out intermittent fasting yourself?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
it sounds interesting, but if i didnt eat breakfast, i would fail school

I think its something I could try over the summer because I dont need the energy to concentrate and learn

Years
I'm no doctor, but I don't think fasting is the best way to lose weight. When you're hungry, you need to eat.
If you want to lose weight, don't try any gimmicks, do it the old-fashioned way. A healthy diet and regular exercise.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I'm no doctor, but I don't think fasting is the best way to lose weight. When you're hungry, you need to eat.
If you want to lose weight, don't try any gimmicks, do it the old-fashioned way. A healthy diet and regular exercise.
Fasting is still a new method, but studies from health websites have been showing positive results than other gimmicks. Besides, it's only saying to not eat until the afternoon.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Which could be a problem if you need food in the morning. Exercise and a healthy diet will always trump all these silly fad gimmicks that keep coming up.

Not all the time. There are times where you don't feel hungry to eat in the morning because you ate a hefty meal yesterday evening. And just as you told me fasting isn't for everyone, so is exercise and a healthy diet.

Last edited:
Years
I've been doing it for months now. Maybe 4 or 5 days a week I don't eat until 5, 6 or somewhere around there, after not eating since the night before (like 8, 9, or 10). I did get hungry in the mornings at first, but in a week or less that went away.

I dunno, it seems to work for me. Even without changing much of what I was eating I felt a little better and I did lose some weight and can fit into some clothes I couldn't before. I have been doing it in tandem with eating more fiber and fermented food to keep from getting the insulin spikes.

But then I'm not in my teens anymore. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who does need the extra energy to get by.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
I'm a little lazy right now to go searching for links.

The best method to lose weight safely is by having a caloric deficit than what your body normally consumes (It's a certain calorie count based off of how much you weigh.) You're likely to be hungrier when you're changing your eating habits, but it's much, much safer to prepare meals with a specific calorie goal in mind. You can portion your meals out appropriately through the day and still reach your desired calorie count. This is better than just fasting for your morning and being hungry.

Then again, all these "sciences" seem to contradict each other at some point.

Years
I'm a little lazy right now to go searching for links.

The best method to lose weight safely is by having a caloric deficit than what your body normally consumes (It's a certain calorie count based off of how much you weigh.) You're likely to be hungrier when you're changing your eating habits, but it's much, much safer to prepare meals with a specific calorie goal in mind. You can portion your meals out appropriately through the day and still reach your desired calorie count. This is better than just fasting for your morning and being hungry.

Then again, all these "sciences" seem to contradict each other at some point.

How you eat your calories is important though. Low caloric intake puts your body into starvation mode. You eat less and your body burns less and you slow down. Fasting lets you burn your body stores for energy instead of the food you eat. When you eat (your normal amount) in a short period of time (8 hours or shorter) you don't then have insulin spikes all the time. Whenever you eat your insulin spikes and that affects how your body processes the food, how it stores it. (Here's a long video that talks about it better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM) I believe that hitting the 16-hour mark without eating is also around the time when you go into ketosis, too.

But the safety part, yeah, I wouldn't suggest anyone do anything drastic with their diet if they have any worries or any health conditions that might be upset by not eating for a while.

Years
I don't know about the intermittent fasting. Here, if you want to do fasting, it means you can eat whenever you want, but you can't eat meat, milk, eggs. and actually everything that comes from an animal. I did it for 50 days last year, and I lost enough weight.

Anyway, if you want to lose weight, I don't think that skipping breakfast is the best idea. My doctor told me that your body works like a machine, you should eat more at mornings and way way less in nights. For example, I was eating toast, yogurt, honey, oats, nuts, fruits in the morning while I was eating only one yogurt or only a fruit at nights. I don't know if I can explain this but I think you'll burn morning calories way easier.

If my opinion counts, I wouldn't do this method of fasting. I would try eating 5 SMALL meals a day: 2 in the morning, lunch, one more at around 5-6pm and dinner. Also, I would try to getting around 1.500 kcals every day (2.000 is the normal amount every day).

One more thing, When I stopped fasting, I got the weight I lost back in no time, so yeah, I don't know. Don't forget, working out is a very good way to lose weight, even walking helps a lot. Anyway, I was 210 pounds but now I'm 190 if I did the kg to pounds correctly but I have muscle weight too.

Just a note: this 'diet' I talked about worked on me but I don't know if it's good for your metabolism, just try to eat healthy.

Last edited:
Years
I actually had the most success with losing weight when I was trying to do something like this. I was skipping breakfast - and sometimes lunch if I knew I was having a big dinner - if I could get away with it to help stay within a certain calorie amount per day. That plus having everything in moderation, including all the "bad" things I used to enjoy, was what helped me. The only thing that ruined me was finally losing the willpower to stop myself from not just grazing on every bit of junk food I saw in sight. I had a few days of bad eating when I was moving some months ago, and I never got myself back into the groove of what I was doing before. I stopped paying attention to calorie counts because I couldn't be bothered right now, and I went back to eating too many of them. Which, honestly, if I'm not watching that, then it ultimately doesn't matter how much I try fasting.

Exothermic

Keeper of the Hammer
Years
Intermittent fasting can work, but there are definitely other ways of losing weight without skipping meals.

Personally, I have tried it but I never stuck to it since it made me feel hungry and dissatisfied with my progress.

Weight gain and weight loss simply depend on the number of calories you take in and use everyday. A caloric surplus will result in weight gain while a caloric deficit will result in weight loss. I think a moderate caloric deficit with low intensity cardio such as brisk walking or interval training will help you lose weight without making you feel hungry all the time.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Mar 2, 2019
I think the benefit of not eating at night is that you will not be burning off the calories that just just consumed because you will be sleeping.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I've been doing this for a bit, I eat 12pm-8pm. Nothing before or after besides beverages. I've lost some weight and my energy has been up, haven't noticed any negatives yet. I'm usually pretty nauseous in the morning so this works well for me

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I tend to kind of do this now. I don't eat between dinner - lunch. Sometimes when I'm really hungry in the morning, I still grab some breakfast though, but then I usually only need a smaller lunch.

Since I don't eat much carbs, this works well for me; my blood sugar seems to stay more stable than before so I don't necessarily need to fill up on carbs in the morning.

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
Years
I haven't tried it for myself but a good friend of mine does it. He works out every day and is dedicated in that regard but as a diet it's really worked for him, if you're trying to lose weight and you have the commitment to doing it right it can really be beneficial.

Years
I want to add that I've been to see a doctor since I started (unrelated reasons) and she said that fasting like this isn't a problem if you don't feel tired and/or don't use some kind of stimulant to keep you going. In other words, if you try it and it works there's not any immediate medical reason you shouldn't keep doing it.

Back