• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Controversial copyright bill fails in EU parliament

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Story: https://www.wsj.com/articles/tech-c...eu-parliament-delays-copyright-law-1530787465

If you weren't aware, this is the big new copyright bill being pushed through the EU that a lot of people having been taking issue with. This decision means the bill will be kicked back down to be debated and revised some more. This is a solid win for opponents of the bill, but it also means that it's not necessarily dead yet. However, considering that the chief opposition to the bill was along the same lines people were taking issue with, it's probable that any future iteration of the bill will be a lot less pure evil.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
Honestly, I'm glad that this bill was rejected, it would have caused a lot of bad things to happen, including censorship on the same level as third world dictatorships that heavily censor the internet.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I think it's better for this thing to stay dead. I would even go so far and say that the EU should want it to be dead.

Let's assume, they actually went through with this bill. As a result, any website now has to implement filtering algorithms to abide to these rules. Since not everybody can (and should) write their own filters, they'd be dependent on third party tools. Also, since a lot of them are smaller websites who don't have the money to spare, their main place to look for such algorithms would be companies that offer this stuff for free.
Now ask youself: who is actually developing software in this scientific field? If your answer is Google, or Facebook, you are correct. You may also recall that they love your data and those algorithms would provide another way to get more of it.

If they went through with that bill, then maybe those few people where protected a little bit more. However, having algorithms now running over every piece of media you want to put up on the internet, there's now another method to get data from you. Given how the EU is highly in favor for any matters concerning privacy on the internet, this would lead to more problems for them in the future.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
I'm happy that the Parliament had rejected it.

278 is a spooky amount of support, though.

Just goes to show how out of touch those guys are with modern times if they all say yes that strongly to potentially destructive policies without a second thought.

The war isn't over yet, though, as there's another vote planned on September 10th! Keep up the good fight!

Back