• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] The Dog Kennel . . . Who Let the Dogs Out?! Dog Lovers Fanclub

Years
That was interesting. Those pet parents are more gutsy than I am letting loose all of those big dogs that didn't know eachother. Fortunately it was mostly play. I love the German Shepherd. He's like the bouncer. He's cool, quiet, chill to himself for the most part, but when trouble was afoot and even the trainers were worried he's like, 'Don't worry, I got this' fellas' and steps in-between as the strong arm to break up the dogs before it's a serious fight.

I'd love to see more dog videos and maybe I or others could post fun pet videos as we find em as an activity?

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
It's definitely no cakewalk to be in a big dog park like this (especially for little ankle-biters!). I'd let my big ol' Briggs out to romp and enjoy himself, as long as the fences are high enough that he can't jump out. He's very friendly and playful, even though he sometimes scares other dogs because he's so big. Cocoa, though? I'd be afraid of her starting a fight. She gets really defensive around particularly the large ones, or ones that bark at her. But she did well at my fiancee's job with their "puppy playtime" so maybe with him there she'd feel more confident.

Haha, yes the GSD was so perfect! He even deflected the other dog's bite when the Dalmatian went for him instead by flipping around to show him that he wasn't being a threat. He seems very intelligent and obviously knows what he's doing.

I'd love to see more dog videos and maybe I or others could post fun pet videos as we find em as an activity?
Absolutely! The more eyes out there to help us amass doggo videos, the better!

Years
It's definitely no cakewalk to be in a big dog park like this (especially for little ankle-biters!). I'd let my big ol' Briggs out to romp and enjoy himself, as long as the fences are high enough that he can't jump out. He's very friendly and playful, even though he sometimes scares other dogs because he's so big. Cocoa, though? I'd be afraid of her starting a fight. She gets really defensive around particularly the large ones, or ones that bark at her. But she did well at my fiancee's job with their "puppy playtime" so maybe with him there she'd feel more confident.

Haha, yes the GSD was so perfect! He even deflected the other dog's bite when the Dalmatian went for him instead by flipping around to show him that he wasn't being a threat. He seems very intelligent and obviously knows what he's doing.

Absolutely! The more eyes out there to help us amass doggo videos, the better!

I don't have to worry about my Prince jumping over a fence, he's a middle aged dog, and was never a fast breed. The sweetheart also has a little hip dysplasia, common in Pyrenees, but compensates for it well. You would never know by looking at him, and my family always thought he would be a good dog to represent children with disabilities, since he has his own hiccup.

As easygoing as my Prince is, he has his limits. He loves attention, women, children and small animals, and is patient, and truly chivalry in a dog, but like any storybook knight he doesn't like to see anyone being picked on. I see him as the Drampa of dogs. I have never seen him start a fight before, but he won't be pushed around either. If other dogs started barking, growling and lunging for him like the Dalmatian or the poodle(?) then the challenge is laid, and challenge accepted. He would puff out his chest and make a spectacle of wolfing. He's never bitten another dog, but since you never know who is in the park and how crazy their dog might be I play it safe and keep a gentle hold on the leash to avoid any unnecessary conflict. If he is pushed to it he might fight back. My dog is royalty--though the Pyrenees became a working dog they were once dogs kept by the kings of France, so honor and house are everything.

Speaking of standing up to bullies I found an adorable video about Italian sheepdogs Maremma in Australia that are used to safeguard the vulnerable penguin population. This warmed my heart, and I hope others feel the same way.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Spoiler:

Our beautiful 11 month old lab Jade, curled up under the couch pillows.

I love her endlessly and can't imagine if we didn't adopt her.

Years
Jade is so gorgeous. What a lovely black coat. I'm so glad this lovely lady is there for you. Life's so much better with a dog.

Labs are not only handsome but really lively affectionate dogs in particular. I can see why they are so popular. My aunt and uncle have a friendly mixed black lab. Her name is Cocoa. And my old neighbors had a big pack of all sorts of dogs from the Irish setter to the Duschund. Three members of their large extended for family were rambunctious yellow labs, Dolly, Tucker and Gracie.

My favorite retriever though is probably still the golden retriever. I think the movie Air Bud is responsible for that. Plugging in a shamelessly cute video of this golden boy snuggling up with other precious critters.

CiCi

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
My favorite retriever though is probably still the golden retriever. I think the movie Air Bud is responsible for that. Plugging in a shamelessly cute video of this golden boy snuggling up with other precious critters.

I nearly cried over this video 'cuz I miss my bun-bun, Blitz. And that pupper was so gentle with those rabbits, oml <3 Also, there was a birb.

Ooh, and here's another super cool dog park video, this time featuring wolfdogs! They're absolutely gorgeous. And there's this beautiful tripawd dog in this video, too. Just so amazing 🖤🖤

CiCi

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
We need more dog videos in this group

Years
I just finished the latest dog video, that funny YOUTUBE tribute captures the true spirit of these gentle giants perfectly! Bigger= best.

The white dog playing tug of war at 1:50 reminds me of my big cottony prince at home. He could look like a small Pyrenees, but I have also seen white labs look that way.

So many sweet dogs from beginning to end. I was especially partial to the big, fluffy black dog at 4:50. I was wondering if it was a type of mastiff. But anyway, that one just seemed like it would be so cozy to snuggle up with like having your own Chewabacca the wookie.

Guys, keep my prince in your thoughts and prayers. I take him to the veterinarian tomorrow. He started limping a little recently, and I am worried he might have sprained his wrist. He was excited about going on a walk to the park recently and jumped out of the car too fast. At first he seemed fine, but there is a little swelling near his paw. It's probably nothing a trip to Dr. Jeffers (our family vet) can't patch up in a jiffy. His appetite is still good, and he still wants to walk and acts excited, but I want to play it safe. I can't help but worry about out four-legged friends.

Seing these delightful videos has lifted my spirits.

CiCi

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
So many sweet dogs from beginning to end. I was especially partial to the big, fluffy black dog at 4:50. I was wondering if it was a type of mastiff. But anyway, that one just seemed like it would be so cozy to snuggle up with like having your own Chewabacca the wookie.
That's a Newfoundland! My favorite breed of dog 🖤 They're huge (around 150-200 lbs) but they're so gentle and sweet. They're known to be useful in water rescue because of their gentle nature and their love of swimming. :)

And I'm sorry to hear about Prince! D: As you said, it's probably nothing since it happened right after his excited jump, but good to get it looked at in case it's more serious. Buuut I also know how easy it is for us doggie parents to think the worst, so let's just keep thinking it's a sprain unless the doc says otherwise :P Good luck, buddy!

CiCi

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Mini-update with my own pups and how they love to cuddle! 🖤

cocoa and briggs.png

Any Dog Lovers here have pups who love to cuddle together? Or with you or another animal in your home?

Years
I'm worried about what to do with my Prince. I took him the vet to look at the swelling around his paw. The doctor thought it actually looked like it could be a limpoma, which isn't a big deal usually. Mostly they are benign. He recommended doing a biopsy to be 100% certain though because they can sometimes be cancerous. I would be very surprised if it was malignant since basically he seems to be energetic, affectionate, healthy appetite, wanting exercise. However, I did think it made sense to follow up with the biopsy for peace of mind just to make sure he will be alright.

The appointment was scheduled for next week, but I am starting to worry now that I know more details about the procedure. I didn't understand until recently that my dog had to be put to sleep to do the biopsy when the nurses let us know that he shouldn't eat for several hours beforehand. I thought he was just going to be sedated, I don't know our boy was going under. I am concerned because he's a middle aged dog, and doesn't have severe health problems but he does have a few ailments, some lupus, arthritis, hip dysplasia--very common with the Pyrenees breed. I wonder if the risks of a general anesthesia might be higher than the likelihood of him having cancer. I do know people who have had pets put to sleep for surgery that didn't wake up. I am starting to get really anxious, and fret that maybe I should postpone the test.

Keep all of our pet friends in your thoughts, wishes and prayers.

CiCi

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I personally wouldn't postpone the test but it's up to you. Either way, I hope that Prince will be all right. I know how rough it can be for these older purebreds as they age. Risks of even something simple like a biopsy increase and it's scary. I also don't want to scare you but when my boy had cancer, he still had a healthy appetite, though he wasn't as active because he was about 11. So while the appetite thing can be a good indication of health, it isn't completely accurate, either.

I just want you to make the best and most educated decision you can about this. It's pretty rare for animals to not wake up from surgeries, especially minor ones (my aforementioned 11-year-old had his entire leg removed and lived for about 5 months after, then passed away of unrelated causes), but I understand why you'd be nervous because it does happen.

It's something you'd absolutely need to talk to your vet about more. I may have gone to school for veterinary medicine, but I never made it so I'm 100% not a vet and can't help you make this decision. I wish the best for your Prince. Take lots of pictures of him and enjoy however amount of time you have left -- which, judging by the probability of it being benign and Prince's overall healthy demeanor will probably be for a good number of years still. :)

Years
Good news!

Prince had his biopsy performed today.
The results will be in a week from now, but at the moment he's back home, and doesn't even loook tired from bg day. He is ready to eat, play and even wants to walk. Can't let him do everything he wants though, because the doctor's orders-- he has to eat light and not exercise yet. But he has the energy at least.

He seems thrilled to be home. He was at the vet for several hours for the procedure before he could be picked up. I was worried because it seemed to be taking extra long. It was supposed to be 2 hours, but they ended up keeping him there until they closed. We just got him back, but no complications were reported. All of the nurses and secretaries were charmed and talked about how sweet he was. I suspect the prince was kept longer just because everybody wanted to play with him, and they lost track of the time! He's a real lady's man.

Anyway he's back and you would not know he had any sort of operation done if you hadn't seen the little patch where they shaved the hair to take a sample for the biopsy.

Hopefully the next stage goes well too, and he gets a clean bill of health.

Thanks so much for your support and well wishes CiCi! So happy to have our boy back from the Pokemon center!

CiCi

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
*le lovely Prince news*

I'm so happy for you guys! Glad there were no complications. Haha, you may be right in that they kept him because he's such a lovebug. It's kind of annoying when that happens, as it's happened to my late boy, but at the same time it's hard to be mad when they just wanted to pet and love on your dog -- who deserves it always, might I add. :)

Fingers crossed that it turns out to be just a benign fatty tumor! They're very common in our pups and usually don't result in anything bad. My grandmother's late old dog, Dudley, had a lot of them on his belly but he'd still ask for belly rubs and gorge himself as if he had nothing there at all! 🖤 And my current girl, Cocoa has a couple of them, too. One is on her wrist but she still insists on throwing that wrist around to "punch" as my fiancee and I call it, though it's really just her pawing for attention.

Years
I'm so happy for you guys! Glad there were no complications. Haha, you may be right in that they kept him because he's such a lovebug. It's kind of annoying when that happens, as it's happened to my late boy, but at the same time it's hard to be mad when they just wanted to pet and love on your dog -- who deserves it always, might I add. :)

Fingers crossed that it turns out to be just a benign fatty tumor! They're very common in our pups and usually don't result in anything bad. My grandmother's late old dog, Dudley, had a lot of them on his belly but he'd still ask for belly rubs and gorge himself as if he had nothing there at all! 🖤 And my current girl, Cocoa has a couple of them, too. One is on her wrist but she still insists on throwing that wrist around to "punch" as my fiancee and I call it, though it's really just her pawing for attention.

How could anyone resist either one of our boys?

I meant to give an update on my doggy's health. Our boy recovered almost overnight from the biopsy, and is full of energy, wound has healed over. He wants to run up and down stairs, go for walks and car rides,hug and play and eat treats.

I got the results of the procedure and am ready to share. No bad news. The sample from the biopsy showed only "epidermis, dermis, superficial subcutaneous adipose tissue, mild edema." In medical speak just skin fatty tissue, mild rash, and some hair, nothing malignant.

So our Aracanine looks likes he's okay right now. I can breathe. I'm so happy our dog Prince is alright.

Fatty tumors as you say are pretty common, especially on older dogs and males. My Cinnamon German Shepherd had one of on his side, and he lived to be almost 14.

Cocoa sounds like so much fun,throwing a punch with that paw. May she stay full of energy.

Thank you so much for your support CiCi!

Years
So I have two dogs, Russell (Wilson) and Boomer. Russell is an Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix and Boomer is a Red/Blue Heeler mix. Russell is 5 1/2 and Boomer is 4.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

We also have a cat, Loki, and she is a year old but this isn't the thread for that, just wanted to mention. 😁

Years
These are my puppitos:
Spoiler:

Your pup's all have awesome haircuts! They look like show dogs and doggy actors used for movies. You take such good care of them. Beautiful! Welcome to the dog club friend!

So I have two dogs, Russell (Wilson) and Boomer. Russell is an Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix and Boomer is a Red/Blue Heeler mix. Russell is 5 1/2 and Boomer is 4.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

We also have a cat, Loki, and she is a year old but this isn't the thread for that, just wanted to mention. 😁

Hello, hello, hello! Exciting to meet another dog lover. The images appeared broken when I tried to see Russell and Boomer, so I'm curious what they look like, they sound like handsome canines, also a cool combination since the heelers often are shorter haired dogs while both border collies and Australian shepherds tend to have longer hair with nice fluffy coats. So Boomer and Russell ought to make a neat pair and foil for one another.

No worries, about mentioning cats. I come from a home with both a cat and dog, so double the fun. My Feline's name is Ward. We have a cat club too if you ever need a scratching post to record your adventures in the land of meow.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=10229928#post10229928

Years
Your pup's all have awesome haircuts! They look like show dogs and doggy actors used for movies. You take such good care of them. Beautiful! Welcome to the dog club friend!

Hello, hello, hello! Exciting to meet another dog lover. The images appeared broken when I tried to see Russell and Boomer, so I'm curious what they look like, they sound like handsome canines, also a cool combination since the heelers often are shorter haired dogs while both border collies and Australian shepherds tend to have longer hair with nice fluffy coats. So Boomer and Russell ought to make a neat pair and foil for one another.

No worries, about mentioning cats. I come from a home with both a cat and dog, so double the fun. My Feline's name is Ward. We have a cat club too if you ever need a scratching post to record your adventures in the land of meow.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=10229928#post10229928

Strange, the links work for me. Any ideas on what I should do to fix it?

Years
^^Whatever you you did to upload your selfies and photos of all those yummy food dishes you made worked for me.

While I am here I thought I might as well spread some more canine charm. This morning I watched a lovely video from Animal Watch featuring the wonderful Pyrenean Mountain dog. I am lucky enough to have one of these big, loving, beautiful dog protectors in my life. Aren't they awesome?

Back