• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remove one thing from the meta

Sirfetch’d

We did this thread back in BW(i think), but I wanted to bring it back for fun. If you could remove one thing from any of the Metagames, what would you axe? You can choose a Pokemon, a move, a clause(sleep, species, etc). Why would you remove this?

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
Get rid of that stupid Stealth Rock move. Everytime I think its gonna be a nice battle, booom someone slaps rocks on the floor. And then I realize I don't have the Defogifier. And even if i do have the defogger, i have to switch out and use defog, so my other Pokemon don't get stoned to death. Make a birdwomans dreams come true, and get rid of the rocks. Poor Charizard.

Sirfetch’d

Get rid of that stupid Stealth Rock move. Everytime I think its gonna be a nice battle, booom someone slaps rocks on the floor. And then I realize I don't have the Defogifier. And even if i do have the defogger, i have to switch out and use defog, so my other Pokemon don't get stoned to death. Make a birdwomans dreams come true, and get rid of the rocks. Poor Charizard.

context: her ho-oh was injured by the rocks

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Scald. Getting tired of people constantly fishing for burns that can chip away at teams and slowly open them up. For example, a Keldeo counter get's burned. Now your counter or check for Keldeo is limited in what damage it can take for the rest of the match, as well as force you to recover more than usual, limiting your options if you want to keep this particular Keldeo counter alive.

Context: My Mega Venusaur got burned by Keldeo, **** Keldeo, ****ing pony.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Singles format. It's outdated, obsolete, exploitable, and encourages salt-inducing play, cheese strats, and keeps the majority of pokemon from even being used.

Context - most of the stuff above is only aggravating in a singles format setting.

The singles format is how Pokemon started. Pokemon wouldn't be Pokemon without the singles format. In-game, almost every Pokemon battle there is a singles battle. Just putting that out there.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Landorus-T (and potentially Garchomp) in OU.

I'm not saying that those are broken, but I feel like especially Lando-T is doing its jobs a little bit too well. Getting rid of it might expose some of the latent broken mons that are only around because it's presence keeps them somewhat in check. In return, if we get rid of those, that could lead to a more enjoyable meta.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
From Singles, I would remove entry hazards because I don't think it's an interesting playstyle and gives already strong types (like steel) unnecessary advantages over types that are already less than favorable defensively (such as ice and flying).

From Doubles, I would remove Garchomp because it gets more and more boring to see being used year after year. The standard set has remained nearly unchanged for almost 10 years now.

Years
If I had to get rid of one thing from today's poke-battleflow, it'd be Z-moves.
I hardly use them, their cinematic sequences are just too dang long, their importance to the story declines steadily, and I could just as well use the regular moves for the final blow, over a Z-move.

Years
  • Age 11
  • Seen Nov 9, 2019
I'm pretty content with the new meta, Toxapex is a real pain but he's manageable. If I had to choose one thing it would defiantly be Beast Boost. It seems like my only chances of winning a game after that Paper-Mache thingy gets a boost is my scarfed Ditto -_-

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Honestly I'd just remove all forms of trapping(Arena Trap, Magnet Pull, Pursuit, etc.) I feel like these aspects of the game are the least competitive. I guess there are arguments against Magnet Pull and Pursuit do to their limitations, but I still don't like what they bring to the meta.

Other than that I think the game would be healthier without extreme RNG, such as crits.

Reactions: Nah
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 28, 2023
I dont really play competitive but i watch some poketubers do competitive. Actually it would be better if the eentry hazards only last like 5 turns instead of being permanent. Like the sttealth rocks are falling down or the spikes and sticky webs are absorbed to the ground

Years
banning landot from ou would make me way happier with the metagame. so versatile and it is so consistent with a lot of the roles it can do. it will probably happen eventually and if not i doubt i'll play sm for a long time.

Years
Toxic spikes

Provides a cheap way to get someone's whole team afflicted with a status condition.

Considering all the poison, steel and flying types out there as well as levitate, magic guard, guts, poison heal and toxic boost and Defog/Rapid Spin Is it really that bad a hazard?

skyburial

Orca Hype
Years
Man if I could get rid of one thing in the meta.

Probably freeze, as lame as it sounds. One of my best friends whom I've competed with since 2015 made a solid point the other day when we were talking about what holds Pokemon back as a competitive game from becoming an eSport, and I'm in complete agreement that the first thing that's got to go is the freeze mechanic. A 10% chance that my Pokemon will become completely unusable for the rest of the game, regardless of whether I made the right plays. Rad.

Especially now that hail has a 109 base speed weather setter, this has been as bit of a hot topic of late. And I know that it's probably the pet mechanic of someone over at GF, but geez. It makes it hard for sponsors to buy into the game.

Singles format. It's outdated, obsolete, exploitable, and encourages salt-inducing play, cheese strats, and keeps the majority of pokemon from even being used.

Context - most of the stuff above is only aggravating in a singles format setting.

At least at this point, it seems incredibly unlikely that the Singles format would die out even if the support for it was removed from the main series gameplay. OU is by far the most popular player-created format and I'm fairly certain it's more popular than VGC - in other words, if it's how people want to play the game, they'll play it that way.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The Baton Pass Clause, because it'll really benefit slower Pokemon and other low-tier Pokémon in the higher tiers instead of limiting to only one.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Pheromosa. I'd say Ultra Beasts in general, but Pheromosa is without a doubt the most busted one. It has really high attacking stats and sky high Speed, and when it knocks out a Pokemon, its highest stat gets boosted. And you could say that Toxapex walls it, but Pheromosa can adapt to that by using Hidden Power Ground. Hell, Pheromosa is even more busted than Hoopa-U and GSC Snorlax!

Back