• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rooting

Years
Android users, do y'all root your phone(s)? What are the uses of rooting that y'all personally use? What root app do you use as well?

I haven't even owned my OnePlus 5T for a week, yet I have already rooted my device via Magisk. One of the reasons I am rooted is so that I can continue having Google Pay support with an unlocked bootloader. Also, my phone defaults to saving screenshots as .jpg files, and through Magisk, I can save screenshots to .png.

For those of you who don't have a rooted device, what may be the reason why? Would you consider rooting it in the future if you needed to?

Last edited:
Years
I feel like rooting is less necessary as time goes on.

Usually you root to have greater control over your device, but with so many OEMs granting Android users near that level of customization out of the box, rooting just doesn't seem needed unless you need to fine tune the very thin specific features that OEM customization won't allow you to do.

I personally don't root my phone, but that's because there's no reason for me to. I'm satisfied with the level of customization Oxygen OS gives me (which is a lot) alongside Nova Launcher which gives me plenty of control over the general aesthetics of my device. So it just feels pointless to root.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
I rooted usually to add some essential types of functionality such as media control or some additional performance settings, if not running a custom ROM altogether. Right now though, the only reason I'm not rooted on my primary phone is because Huawei quit giving out bootloader unlocking codes so I can't unlock my bootloader without paying money.

Years
i remember rooting my old samsung tablet just for the heck of it. it was a cool experiment.\
i think i did it to make it faster

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I've considered rooting before, but nah. I don't know how to do it, so I'd rather not? Don't want to mess up and brick my phone, you know?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
I've considered rooting before, but nah. I don't know how to do it, so I'd rather not? Don't want to mess up and brick my phone, you know?

Depending on the phone, it's a trivial process. XDA has a lot of guides that make it very easy to do, if not just plugging your phone into a computer and issuing a few commands from an ADB terminal. Rooting, though, may block some apps from working. Pokemon GO, Android Pay, Netflix, and some banking apps don't work when rooted, for instance.

Years
Depending on the phone, it's a trivial process. XDA has a lot of guides that make it very easy to do, if not just plugging your phone into a computer and issuing a few commands from an ADB terminal. Rooting, though, may block some apps from working. Pokemon GO, Android Pay, Netflix, and some banking apps don't work when rooted, for instance.
Thankfully there are some workarounds, but at the same time, you do risk safety.

Also, back your device up if you intend to root, for those that have never done it. I have found in the past that some roots can brick a phone, and you would have to re-flash the ROM entirely if you didn't have a backup.

Thankfully TWRP is pretty universal to almost every single Android phone and is a breeze to flash for recovery and backups.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Thankfully there are some workarounds, but at the same time, you do risk safety.

Also, back your device up if you intend to root, for those that have never done it. I have found in the past that some roots can brick a phone, and you would have to re-flash the ROM entirely if you didn't have a backup.

Thankfully TWRP is pretty universal to almost every single Android phone and is a breeze to flash for recovery and backups.

Yeah, definitely back up your device. Some roots require unlocking the bootloader and doing that usually wipes the device.

Back