• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
I think it's best to just drop the subject about me...

I don't know what's being talking about here, so I'm gonna bring up something new. I'm thinking of making an RP that involves 6 classes you can choose from, like a warrior or a monk. What do you guys think? I thought it up during lunch.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015

Leveling systems are most often only there to give the players a sense of progression, though, rather than to actually measure power level. At least it practically works that way. And move limits are quite realistic, in a way. Your pokémon might not be able to remember tens of moves at once - they might get confused in battles even. Sometimes it's more fun to build up a certain strategy using only between 4-8 moves or so, than to have every move at your disposal forever :3

Well my logic is this: If a player can be trusted well enough to not over-power their character(s), then they should have open reign. My Raven character shows that, and even at the end of the RP, when the other characters have mastered their powers and unlocked hidden ones, Raven will still have constant backfire and poor control. Only so much power can be fed into one person before they lose control of it. I guess I like making her that kind of character, the uncontrollable and overly-forward time-bomb.

As for pokemon moves, think like this: Couldn't any pokemon with teeth be able to bite? Or almost any pokemon could tackle. Any clawed pokemon could scratch. If a fire pokemon can conjure fire, then with enough practice, they could do whatever they want, instead of using specific "moves". DOes that make sense?

@Dia I was actually considering making my next RP like that, but if yours is good enough, I'll just postpone mine and join yours! I love those RPG-styled class-based stories.

Ideas:
Let only one of each class-type in. It'd feel kinda odd if there were two healers in a group.
Have these people form a quest that makes them go dungeon trekking! Classic!

You know what, maybe we could Co-Create and Co-GM it! In fact, if you like that idea, go ahead and PM me here, or send me something on facebook!

I've never co-GMed or co-created with someone else before, and it sounds pretty fun!

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Guys, I won't be doing submitted posts until maybe Sunday or Saturday night. It's my birthday tomorrow! (the 14th)

And Red, I would say I could co-GM but im pretty sure everyone knows how lazy i get d:

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Guys, I won't be doing submitted posts until maybe Sunday or Saturday night. It's my birthday tomorrow! (the 14th)

And Red, I would say I could co-GM but im pretty sure everyone knows how lazy i get d:

I guess we should all make a kewl party RP to celebrate this moment. d:

Yeah, I'd love to see you co-GM a Pokemon RP. It's been quite some time since you did that.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I think you've only lured us into believing you are lazy, so that you can give us happy surprises more often ;p

OOOH A JOURNEY.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I remember the Road to victory, it was released a few months back. Nice to see AceOfChance come back and try to handle it once again. ;]

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
just as i thought -v- my RP wasnt accepted, but not because of the grammar, because i need an explanation why gijinka's exist XD can anyone help me?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
just as i thought -v- my RP wasnt accepted, but not because of the grammar, because i need an explanation why gijinka's exist XD can anyone help me?

Well, I think what le mod wanted you to explain was... well... Is everyone in the whole RP world a gijinka or do pokémon and humans exist as well? If the former, then you should be ok with just explaining in the plot/setting that it is a gijinka world. Strange RP worlds have been created :3 If the latter, then you should probably explain why the players will be gijinkas and not pokémon or humans.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
everyone in that world is gijinka :) whole humans or whole pokemon don't exist ^^ if it's just that i have to add then i guess my RP will be posted again withing minutes XD

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Zerin: ...Yeeaah... most of those 'unrealistic' restrictions exist to uphold post/character quality. Try to take this with a grain of salt will you, but the magnitude to which the restrictions are broken is inversely proportional to the appropriateness of a character to be in the RP.

That being said, trying to make things darker is not realism and it's also not objectively better. It's just dark. Seriously, stop using those terms inter-changeably. >->; Pokemon Fallout is terrifyingly dark and you don't see me running around pretending that's realistic. It's not, because the creators of the pokemon world already /defined/ reality for us. We don't get a say in that so long as we use their world.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
everyone in that world is gijinka :) whole humans or whole pokemon don't exist ^^ if it's just that i have to add then i guess my RP will be posted again withing minutes XD
I think you should speak to Skymin about it rather than me though :3 To be sure.

@Zerin: ...Yeeaah... most of those 'unrealistic' restrictions exist to uphold post/character quality. Try to take this with a grain of salt will you, but the magnitude to which the restrictions are broken is inversely proportional to the appropriateness of a character to be in the RP.

That being said, trying to make things darker is not realism and it's also not objectively better. It's just dark. Seriously, stop using those terms inter-changeably. >->; Pokemon Fallout is terrifyingly dark and you don't see me running around pretending that's realistic. It's not, because the creators of the pokemon world already /defined/ reality for us. We don't get a say in that so long as we use their world.
I agree on some points, but not when you say that "we don't get a say in it so long as we use their world". We totally get a say in it. RPs exist because we want to do things differently than the games do in some way, be it with much more freedom or "reality" however relative that term may be, or with very strict rules to make the RP challenging or simply more fair or qualitative.

The rules set up by the creators of pokémon were made for GB/DS games. Not for text based games. So I think we can create whatever rules or worlds we want, dark or light. I've used so many different systems and rules... always trying to find new ways of doing things that will work even better than before, but still keeping things that I've seen working before.

:]

Dawn

Years
I agree on some points, but not when you say that "we don't get a say in it so long as we use their world". We totally get a say in it. RPs exist because we want to do things differently than the games do in some way

But... what does that have to do with realism? My point is that if our RP is not faithful to the canon it's not 'realistic', regardless of the actual quality of the RP. When we take the canon that is Pokemon, we are accepting those standards of what is and is not realistic. Otherwise if realism was based on real life, pokemon in and of itself would be unrealistic and that's just...silly.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024

But... what does that have to do with realism? My point is that if our RP is not faithful to the canon it's not 'realistic', regardless of the actual quality of the RP. When we take the canon that is Pokemon, we are accepting those standards of what is and is not realistic. Otherwise if realism was based on real life, pokemon in and of itself would be unrealistic and that's just...silly.

You do have a valid point there. Realism in Pokemon RPs should match up with the standards set in the Pokemon Universe, imo. Not to say of course, that Zerin's idea of Pokemon with claws being able to scratch etc. is not valid, but I would allow it in my RP, but only if it's something minor like pushing a Pokemon back or something on similar lines. But never for knocking out Pokemon or as a valid attack.

For me, it's a bit like this, the move "Tackle" actually means that the Pokemon in question is skilled in tackling a Pokemon properly, with power and by locating weak spots. But of course Pokemon are able to tackle on their own, but the ones with the move are more skilled generally. Kind of like how you have hands but you can't efficiently punch anybody, for eg. best punches are trained professional ones, but the regular ones don't do much damage. Not a very good example, buuuuut meh I can't think of anything else lol.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015

When I say realistic, I am relating to real life. Given the situation of Pokemon in a real-life kind of world. And Life is pretty dark, there's tons of corruption, pain, anguish, and cruelty out there. I prefer RPs that let you explore that dark side of society, where in the Pokemon world the only real darkness is Team Rocket and even then they never end up doing anything more than comedic relief. To put it simply, Pokemon was made for kids. Thought many of us do enjoy it; that's why I like to see more realistic situations. Watching a pokemon get cut but not bleed is what I define as "unrealistic". Or taking merciless beatings and somehow only passing out. I like higher-rated RPs because they let me explore characters in detail, give them dark pasts or disturbing flaws.

I'm not saying anything to disrespect PTA; if I didn't like it, I'd have dropped out a very long time ago. It's just much cheerier and positive than I'm used to.

On Earth & Sky, the sky is the limit with character stories and backgrounds, and I enjoy that. That way deep feelings and depth can be added to my characters, without worrying about whether it's appropriate or not.

On Power Sprint, there's still the violence, but swearing disallowed. Maximum Ride is a fairly sinister book, so that kind of sinister plot or troubled past can actually be expected.

I know Pokemon isn't real, but I like the situation of "they ARE real", meaning we have pokemon in real life, or that the regions and people are actual people, and act as such.

-Deepimpact- has a decent idea there. The thing is, I wouldn't determine the power of a headbutt by how 'skilled' the pokemon is at banging their heads against each other. I think it would be more based on how heavy and fast the pokemon is, how strong they are, and what their heads are made of (Bastiodon could deal a mean headbutt).

I understand the point of levels and move limits, believe me I do, but I just don't work well with that style.

___

By the way, ShinyDiamond and I are going to work together to make an RPG game kind of roleplay. You know, with classes and character types and all of that.

Dawn

Years
When I say realistic, I am relating to real life. Given the situation of Pokemon in a real-life kind of world. And Life is pretty dark, there's tons of corruption, pain, anguish, and cruelty out there

You must have some really flexible GM who allows you to get away with having an much higher level of darkness in your character compared to the RP itself. ;p

Liking dark RPs is one thing, claiming that darkness is realism is another. I own a very dark pokemon RP with no real limit on how dark you can get short of things too graphic for this forum at all or smut, but I acknowledge it's definitely not realistic in the sense that it takes liberties with what could happen in the pokemon canon, and it's also way darker than reality for that matter.

Tbqh, from the one SU I've ever actually judged of yours I'd have to say that your view of realism comes off as darker than the real thing, no offense.

-Deepimpact- has a decent idea there. The thing is, I wouldn't determine the power of a headbutt by how 'skilled' the pokemon is at banging their heads against each other. I think it would be more based on how heavy and fast the pokemon is, how strong they are, and what their heads are made of (Bastiodon could deal a mean headbutt).

What you just described is base stats in a nuthsell. lD
And I don't like the idea of discrediting skill because first of all in reality skill is what wins you a fight, not strength, or speed, or durability even. The difference between a basement dwelling nerd like me and a thug on the street in a fight is that the thug has skill that can only be learned through training. Any nerd like me can potentially walk up and deliver a devistating blow with our fists. We usually can't though because we lack the skill to make it happen.

And that's why levels make sense

Move limitations are a matter of respecting the canonity. You get huge movepools of moves to choose from and those are one of the three major things that make a pokemon unique, the others being stats and appearance. If one just starts disregarding what makes a pokemon fundamentally unique and don't at least have some restraint, where do you cross the line and just become essentially a fakemon?

I guess my point is, yeah people want to do stuff differently, but at the same time if we didn't want to keep fundamental aspects like these why would we use the pokemon canonity at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back