• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Hey, I can't get this to work for the life of me. It won't load anything giving me these weird errors even though I'm using my vanilla rom as well. Can you help me out with some input?
http : // i . imgur . com / dV3CHg9 . png
Sorry about the spaces, the 15 post spam filter thing isn't really nice for peeps who need help. :c

Those errors exactly pop up when you attempt to load an expanded rom with a normal ini. (Trust me, I get confused a lot and get those errors.) First, you need to read my documentation, more specifically the Dynamic Ini System section. Then, you need to refresh each of your roms by going to 0xFFFFFE in a hex editor and changing the bytes to FFFF.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Hmm... this is minor, but I guess it's annoying.
I expanded the pokemon, and I used Turtwig in battle. Every single move it used (and other pokemon like Squirtle) always get a critical hit. This makes it so you always get poisoned when you hit nidoran etc. It's quite annoying, and it even happens when I expand and do everything on a new ROM.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
Can I have your sprites for testing?

Have you not read up on my ini system? I think you need to read my documentation I wrote. That is part of my dynamic ini system and happens on any rom. If you look in your ini, there is a new section with a number that match the one at 0xFFFFFE in the rom. If you reset it to FFFF, the suite assumes you are loading a new rom and therefore sets aside a new section for it.
The Sprites are from Chaosrush's 64x64 Ds Sprite Resource, now with the header I set it to MrDS the way it was specified in the document file but whenever I'd try to load it the movesets would only have /x instead of the names

karatekid552

Years
The Sprites are from Chaosrush's 64x64 Ds Sprite Resource, now with the header I set it to MrDS the way it was specified in the document file but whenever I'd try to load it the movesets would only have /x instead of the names

I am guessing you patched the rom after loading it in the ini, then tried to load it again. At that point, it will be reading from it's custom section whose number is found at 0xFFFFFE. You need to reset this.

I expanded the pokemon, and I used Turtwig in battle. Every single move it used (and other pokemon like Squirtle) always get a critical hit. This makes it so you always get poisoned when you hit nidoran etc. It's quite annoying, and it even happens when I expand and do everything on a new ROM.

I have never heard of this... (thought quite the find!!!!!) Let me contact doesntknowhowtoplay since my program is essentially a python version of his tutorial. Not joking, the source code is literally sectioned off in the sections of his tutorial.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
I am guessing you patched the rom after loading it in the ini, then tried to load it again. At that point, it will be reading from it's custom section whose number is found at 0xFFFFFE. You need to reset this.
Truth is I patched the rom then changed the number at the end of the file to FFFF before loading it up which did help me out with loading it up. But after the error I got then closed it, I opened it back up and it brought up random things then asked if I wanted to report it which I clicked No. but now it won't load normally now.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024

Would you mind uploading a patch for a ROM that does this? I'm not able to duplicate it with the tool and I'm not sure how an accidental change would cause that, although I do have some hunches I'd rather examine on a malfunctioning ROM than ask you to look at them.

karatekid552

Years
Truth is I patched the rom then changed the number at the end of the file to FFFF before loading it up which did help me out with loading it up. But after the error I got then closed it, I opened it back up and it brought up random things then asked if I wanted to report it which I clicked No. but now it won't load normally now.

Can I see a patch of your rom? I need to play with this.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
True, of course though I hadn't emptied the recycling bin yet so I can still recover the rom, Make a patch and let you check it out

karatekid552

Years
Okay here's the patch you just need to get the FFFF at the end then load it up and you'll get the error I got, https://www.dropbox.com/s/wev1kagg6f95kft/Pokemon Fire Red 649 Test.ips

I don't even need to test the rom to know what the errors are. Just scrolling through to 0xFFFFFE, I noticed a lot of data in the free space area. I looked at it and it was repointed tables done by pokemon expansion. You do realize that the ini is where the location of those tables is stored, right? Meaning you can't just go resetting the ini after you have expanded, otherwise G3HS won't be able to find the tables and thus, you will get errors and bad data loads. Not to mention, if you expanded and then applied MrDollSteak's patch, you most likely overwrote a ton of the expanded data, causing even more errors.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
I don't even need to test the rom to know what the errors are. Just scrolling through to 0xFFFFFE, I noticed a lot of data in the free space area. I looked at it and it was repointed tables done by pokemon expansion. You do realize that the ini is where the location of those tables is stored, right? Meaning you can't just go resetting the ini after you have expanded, otherwise G3HS won't be able to find the tables and thus, you will get errors and bad data loads. Not to mention, if you expanded and then applied MrDollSteak's patch, you most likely overwrote a ton of the expanded data, causing even more errors.
Okay This time I opened the rom in G3HS, closed it, applied the patch, then opened it back up but now it just has the moves and abilities set as \x

karatekid552

Years
Okay This time I opened the rom in G3HS, closed it, applied the patch, then opened it back up but now it just has the moves and abilities set as \x

No, no, no. You need to:

1. Get a clean rom.
2. Apply the patch.
3. Change the gamecode to MrDS
4. Load the rom in the suite.
5. Now you can expand pokemon.

BTW, if you guys didn't notice, the Mac version is uploaded!

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
No, no, no. You need to:

1. Get a clean rom.
2. Apply the patch.
3. Change the gamecode to MrDS
4. Load the rom in the suite.
5. Now you can expand pokemon.

BTW, if you guys didn't notice, the Mac version is uploaded!
Okay I'll give it a try after I eat. anyway I am loving the tool for what it can do, all that's missing from making 493-712 in fire red possible is the ability to implement new evolution methods possibly even a better way to make new items

Edit: I've done what you said but now while I changed the ID to MrDS it says the Game ID is 0000 inG3HS

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years

I have never heard of this... (thought quite the find!!!!!) Let me contact doesntknowhowtoplay since my program is essentially a python version of his tutorial. Not joking, the source code is literally sectioned off in the sections of his tutorial.

I've found that happens if cheat codes are on!
It seems to set the effect byte to 100%, though if you don't have cheat codes on then I have no idea.

karatekid552

Years
I've found that happens if cheat codes are on!
It seems to set the effect byte to 100%, though if you don't have cheat codes on then I have no idea.

VBA-M saves your cheat codes and loads them each time automatically. This could be what is happening.

Okay I'll give it a try after I eat. anyway I am loving the tool for what it can do, all that's missing from making 493-712 in fire red possible is the ability to implement new evolution methods possibly even a better way to make new items

Edit: I've done what you said but now while I changed the ID to MrDS it says the Game ID is 0000 inG3HS

Hmmm, @MrDollSteak, did you happen to, maybe, upload a patch that already had the gamecode in it? Like the 0000 at 0xFFFFFE That could be what is causing so many issues.

If not, just got to 0xFFFFFE in a hex editor and change the bytes there to FFFF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
Actually while it does bring that up I just click yes and it'll actually load the moves Perfectly along with the abilities I've already got in sprites up to Bibarel inserted but movesets got up to Piplup done. But mind if I ask would it be possible to use the feature from advance sprite editor to just select your directory with the sprites by number to Import all of the sprites in number order?

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Hmmm, @MrDollSteak, did you happen to, maybe, upload a patch that already had the gamecode in it? Like the 0000 at 0xFFFFFE That could be what is causing so many issues.

If not, just got to 0xFFFFFE in a hex editor and change the bytes there to FFFF.

Ah right yeah that's what happened.
I've got my personal copy on FF FF but I don't think I did in the last update.
Let me fix that!

Back