• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Imperial Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years
Well, that is a stereotype of a teenage girl, and pokemon trainer sprites usually are the stereotypes of certain types of people. And maybe she is pigeon toed. ;)
So what you're saying is that you made her pigeon toed because that's a stereotype of a group of people who aren't commonly known to be pigeon toed?
Maybe you guys didn't exactly think of it with that much detail, but it looks strange to me.

Then again, I've said my piece on it, and I'll drop it. I will say that I find your comments on stereotype to be kind of insulting, but I don't rightly care that much.

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
So what you're saying is that you made her pigeon toed because that's a stereotype of a group of people who aren't commonly known to be pigeon toed?
Maybe you guys didn't exactly think of it with that much detail, but it looks strange to me.

Then again, I've said my piece on it, and I'll drop it. I will say that I find your comments on stereotype to be kind of insulting, but I don't rightly care that much.

I don't exactly see why it is offensive. Pokemon uses stereotypes to convey certain types of people in certain types of ways. That's all I'm saying. Pokemon tends to have patterns and a lot of female trainer sprites in Pokemon are pigeon toed. Especially the adolescents.

I'm sorry if I offended you in some way, I just don't see why you'd have a problem with that, when it's been done before (many times, at that).

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years
I don't exactly see why it is offensive. Pokemon uses stereotypes to convey certain types of people in certain types of ways. That's all I'm saying. Pokemon tends to have patterns and a lot of female trainer sprites in Pokemon are pigeon toed. Especially the adolescents.

I'm sorry if I offended you in some way, I just don't see why you'd have a problem with that, when it's been done before (many times, at that).
Yes, but I a) never agreed with it when they did it, and b) never saw them make their "Gambler" sprites mirror unshaven and unclean men or women in entire shambles who are unable to live their lives properly. They just gave them a cup and some dice, if I recall correctly.

That said, you didn't offend me. I just find stereotyping for the sake of stereotyping offensive in fiction. You have the ability to go above and beyond what the official games do, given that your audience is older than those who are the suspected audience for the games. Seven to ten year olds aren't likely to be on forums on the internet downloading games.
You should be using that potential to avoid stereotyping for stereotyping's sake.

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
I hope you don't mind if I add my two cents here...

From what I saw I didn't look at Selene's sprite as being pigeon toed, and even if Pokemon does that stereotypical stuff with sprites (like the hiker sprite or the biker sprite, obviously) it's no reason to do that with a character that's important. Because all the bikers and all the hikers have the same sprite it's smart to do a stereotype because every single member of that group is being portrayed as that sprite.

However-
Selene is a one-time character whose sprite only serves one purpose: to display a main character of the game. Perhaps she is pigeon toed, perhaps she isn't. To be honest I didn't think to hard into Selene's background to say that. This being said she is most certainly not the stereotypical adolescent girl. She's headstrong, tough, like misty (though thats a bad example because her sprite shows her pigeon toed xP) but she's not the cute teenage girl type that you'll see in May or Dawn.

Nevertheless, I don't quite see a pigeon toed-ness in her sprite. I mean I see where you're coming from but it just looks like her hip is popped out with some attitude there. When that happens its somewhat natural to angle your foot inward (well I'm not a girl but I have a sister and I've seen this happen :P)

I see no problem with it, if it looks pigeon toed to you then I guess Selene's now pigeon toed. So be it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2012
Pokemon Imperial Sky... Really interesting.
The graphical part of the game is looking great, and so are the showcased starters ( the third water starter is somewhat strange to me, but oh well the others are great).
I had a similar idea of your story a while back, never made work of it though. I'm glad you did, as it's great!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
Awesome graphics :), what template did you use for the overworlds? or is it custom?

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
houseshot.png

This is the hero's house from Pokemon: Imperial Sky.

ゴルーグ

スーパーロボット
Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2011
This is the hero's house from Pokemon: Imperial Sky.

Aquakip, I love you so much.

But is that a sofa in front of the TV? And is that black line a window?

Exceptional work as always.

~ゴルーグ

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years

Aquakip, I love you so much.

But is that a sofa in front of the TV? And is that black line a window?

Exceptional work as always.

~ゴルーグ
I'd say that the line would be a picture/painting. A window in that location would be strange. A window would be centred more and would provide glare for whoever's watching TV.

That is a great looking room, too. I love the look.

Years
  • Seen Sep 6, 2011
Hey this looks great! If you need any help, ideas, etc., do let us know and we'll try to help :P! I'm just wondering if your storyline is going to be linear, or would it have certain branches, like in other RPGs? Btw I like your idea of having a 'love interest' for the protagonist, it'd certainly be interesting, and there would be many stuffs such as side-story, for example, that can be done with that aspect!

demondismon

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
this game looks **c**n* awsome, omg, is there a beta out yet? and just wondering but is this for rpfmxp? the titlescreen....i would change its a lil weird. fakemon are awsome omg i love them :D ... who makes the fakemon? maps are awsome.. 7 hours only though wow it would take me a month to make a map not even close to that good it detail...... i want this game!!!!!!

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
this game looks **c**n* awsome, omg, is there a beta out yet? and just wondering but is this for rpfmxp? the titlescreen....i would change its a lil weird. fakemon are awsome omg i love them :D ... who makes the fakemon? maps are awsome.. 7 hours only though wow it would take me a month to make a map not even close to that good it detail...... i want this game!!!!!!

I like how every single question asked in this post can be found by actually reading the first post.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2011
Is it me or the trainer looks kinda tall ? Good Graphics im gonna download this once it's released

Years
Ooh! This looks amazing! When's the demo coming out?

Also, a sort of obvious question: would Selene be the primary protagonist if you chose to play a girl? Or is there a completely different character for that? ^^;

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years
Is it me or the trainer looks kinda tall ? Good Graphics im gonna download this once it's released
He's supposed to be that tall. It's the style of graphics they've chosen to use.

Ooh! This looks amazing! When's the demo coming out?

Also, a sort of obvious question: would Selene be the primary protagonist if you chose to play a girl? Or is there a completely different character for that? ^^;
From what I know, but don't quote me on this, there is no option for choosing the girl yet. I'm not terribly certain, though.

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
cruciFICTION is correct; there is no option to play as a girl as of the current demo we are working on. Eventually there may be, but for now the story centralizes around Helios and not Selene.

Also sorry for the lack of updates guys, the team's been very busy doing stuff for academics, college applications, all that fun stuff.
We'll get back to bringing you guys updates soon enough though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back