• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge 2: Gladiator stuff idek

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Use this thread to post any information you find regarding the challenge

Making what I found brief, since I'm on my phone and what I've written has already been deleted once grr.

The challenge seems to be referring to gladiator types rather than people who had been gladiators, and if that's the case, this is what I've found so far:

1. Mirmillones

Dorsal helmet
Large Oblong Shield
Low Leg Greaves
Sword

2. Retiarii

Dagger
Net
Trident
Shoulder Guard

3. Hoplomachi

High Leg Greaves
Padded Shin Guards
Small Round Shields
Spears

Last edited:

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I did some research on the Retiarii and it seems to match up with the missing letters and the apparel. They use nets, tridents, daggers, and they wear a shoulder guard.

Years
What I've found.

The retiarii, plural of retiarus (net-fighter), commonly used a net, trident, and dagger.
They were lightly armored, wearing an arm guard and shoulder guard. They wore no head protection or footwear.

edit: ninja'd. Apparently Umbreon, Wobbu and I found the same thing.

Sean

Years
1. Mirmillones

Dorsal helmet
Large Oblong Shield
Sword
Padded Shin Guard

2. Retiarii

No helmet
Net
Trident
Shoulder Guard
No shield
Dagger

3. Hoplomachi

Spear
High Leg Greaves
Padded Shin Guard
Sword
Small Round Shield

Last edited:

Sean

Years
I did greek mythology and some answers don't seem to line up with each other

Therefore, not every item is to be used on the list

Olli

Years
Adding information to the OP as we go along. One thing though, we have padded shin guards for both the Mirmillones and the Hoplomachi, so we need to figure out which one's correct. If I were to guess, I'd probably say Mirmillones due to the hint that was given.

Sean

Years
@Olli both use shin pads but murmillo uses soft padding so remove it for murmillo its for hoplomachi

I'm surprised at the lack of arm armor for an answer, none use grieves apart from hoplomachi, unless its just meant as leg armor

Olli

Years
Problem is, there are lots of different sites that provide information on these types, but it's not consistent, so it's hard to determine what's true or not.

Sean

Years
the only thing missing from 1st option is arm guard but it isn't an option on list given to us so I guess we have every single equipment for 1st choice

2nd choice seems filled up

just 3rd one that needs to be confirmed

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
Years
Lifted these directly from wiki so the info's probably safe but there's always a chance it's not.

"The Hoplomachus (Greek "armed fighter") wore quilted, trouser-like leg wrappings, loincloth, a belt, a pair of long shin-guards or greaves, an arm guard (manica) on the sword-arm, and a brimmed helmet that could be adorned with a plume of feathers on top and a single feather on each side. He was equipped with a gladius and a very small, round shield. He also carried a spear, which the gladiator would have to cast before closing for hand-to-hand combat. The hoplomachi were paired against the Myrmillones or Thraeces. They may have developed out of the earlier '"Samnite" type after it became impolitic to use the names of now-allied peoples"

"The murmillo (plural murmillones) or myrmillo wore a helmet with a stylised fish on the crest (the mormylos or sea fish), as well as an arm guard (manica), a loincloth and belt, a gaiter on his right leg, thick wrappings covering the tops of his feet, and a very short greave with an indentation for the padding at the top of the feet. They are heavily armoured gladiators: the murmillo carried a gladius (64–81 cm long) and a tall, oblong shield in the legionary style. Murmillones were typically paired with Thracian, but occasionally with the similar hoplomachus.[18]"

"The retiarius ("net fighter") developed in the early Augustan period. He carried a trident, a dagger, and a net. The retiarius wore a loincloth held in place by a wide belt and a larger arm guard (manica) extending to the shoulder and left side of the chest. He fought without the protection of a helmet. Occasionally a metal shoulder shield (galerus) was added to protect the neck and lower face. A tombstone found in Romania shows a retiarius holding a dagger with four spikes (each at the corner of a square guard) instead of the usual bladed dagger. This was previously thought to be an artistic invention or perhaps a ceremonial weapon, but a recent discovery of a gladiator graveyard found that several of the remains had four odd-looking marks that form the outline of a square on their bones which is consistent with the use of such a weapon. A variation to the normal combat was a retiarius facing two secutores at the same time. The retiarus stood on a bridge or raised platform with stairs and had a pile of fist-sized stones to throw at his adversaries. While the retarius tried to keep them at bay, the secutores tried to scale the structure to attack him. The platform, called a pons (bridge), may have been constructed over water.[22] Retiarii usually fought Secutores but sometimes fought Myrmillones.[23] There was an effeminate class of gladiator who fought as a retiarius tunicatus. They wore tunics to distinguish them from the usual retiarius, and were looked on as a social class even lower than infamia.[24][25]"

Olli

Years
According to the wikipedia article, both the Mirmillones and Hoplomachi used arm guards, so that's probably why it was excluded. Though it also says both used swords, but I think it's safer to go with the Mirmillones in any case, since otherwise they'd be without a weapon.

hngg

[edit] I honestly think the Mirmillones are the ones with the padded shin guards. Even though the hint stated that they had weak shins, they don't have any armor protecting it according to our list. And since greaves aren't consistently mentioned, I reckon the padded shin guards are probably our best bet.

Sean

Years
According to the wikipedia article, both the Mirmillones and Hoplomachi used arm guards, so that's probably why it was excluded. Though it also says both used swords, but I think it's safer to go with the Mirmillones in any case, since otherwise they'd be without a weapon.

hngg

Agreed. I think we can safely say that 1st choice is filled up.

I'm a bit dodgy for Hoplomachi though weapon wise

Olli

Years
Yeah, I think the weapons are fine, at least from what I've read. I'm more concerned about the headgear and leg protection, since that's what seems to stay the least consistent.

We won't be able to do anything with it until Christos gets online though, and I think he lives in the UK I don't think we're in any rush.

And yeah, I haven't seen any mention of daggers on Hoplomachi. I've seen one case of a sword, but otherwise it's just been spears.

Back