• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer/OS Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Dakota said:
I heard that they are going to use a new carbon based system that will make computer hundreds of times faster...although, I can't really think of ANY programs that would need that kind of speed...yep

am I wrong or just not right?

BOO ya!
They aren't going to be using it anytime soon and they don't have plans to use it as it is research only at the moment.

Vito Winstrate, Macintosh holds 1-2% of the market. It wasn't revoluntionary to the industry because it only affected a small portion of the market.

Arwen

Beautiful Elf Maiden(Mod)
Years
Shining Arcanine said:
Guys, want to hear what is in store for the future of Personal Computers? Here is a list of what should happen to 2004:

Motherboard designs are going to be replaced with the BTX form factor which better handles airflow and power. From what I'm hearing, BTX will probably require new cases and power supplies since the current ones are ATX. Here is a press release regarding it:

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20030916corp_b.htm

The P4 will get a new socket (LGA 775) and core. Intel will probably roll out the LGA 775 socket with the BTX form factor.

DDR-2 Memory will replace DDR Memory (vendors can't keep cranking MHz out of DDR forever).

PCI Express will replace PCI and AGP.

The SATA spec will (is starting to already) replace the PATA spec.

Those are pretty much all of the big changes for 2004 that I have heard/read about. Here are a few that are going to happen but I'm not exactly sure when:

The SATA 2 spec will be finshed and replace the SATA spec. Probably will be in 2005 but may be in 2006.

The BIOS will die. Intel is planning to replace it with Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI). A firmware interface (obviously) which is more efficent, boots faster, is more ready for new technologies, etc. Here is an article on it from Intel's site:

http://www.intel.com/technology/efi/

Some other things that are planned for the future are better graphics cards (obviously), Windows Longhorn (can't wait), etc. I have been hearing that ATI is developing a graphics card 2x faster than the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I also have been hearing that they are developing a digital TV chip. I hope this will mean a future AIW card will be much faster than my current AIW 9700 Pro and will be able to receive HDTV signals. If so, I can't wait to start recording pokemon episodes and movies (I already have them on DVD but recording them is fun). ^_^
But, wouldn't new techology will raise prices on computers?

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
I'd rather pay $50 more and get 9,000 more songs on it. They probably would have to drop the mini another 50~100$ to make it a deal over the plain iPod.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Arwen said:
But, wouldn't new techology will raise prices on computers?

I'm sure that Intel will use it as an excuse to raise prices. SATA and PCI Express shouldn't cost more than the currently employed technologies through. MS will keep prices the same. I'm not sure what everyone else will do through. Prices will go down over time through.

Btw, LCD monitor prices are going up so if you want to get a good deal, buy now.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/dj?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

You might like that, it compares Dell Digital JukeBox to Ipod. Unless the AAC format offers higher compression than the WMA format, they should store the same amount of songs. Apple has been known for given their products better specifications as to what they can do (G5 PPC Processor vs P4 comparsions anyone?). Also the WMA format can compress songs with the same quality at half the bitrate of MP3s (at the same bitrate, the compression is better than MP3 compression) so I would think that the 20GB Dell Jukebox can hold more songs than the 20GB iPod. That is excluding ACC from the formula. I don't have a macintosh so I can't convert an MP3 to both formats on both systems to compare the file sizes.

Not to mention that (assuming a CD holds 15 songs) you can store well over 600 CDs (4900 divided by 15) on the 20GB Dell Jukebox and can purchase it for a much lower price.

Last edited:

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
MPEG4 is a video specification meant to build upon MPEG2. It does not have anything to do with audio.

Dell only makes Windows and sometimes Linux computers. It has never supported Macintosh to my knowledge.

I never checked but I don't know why the connection matters after a certain point since the Hard Drive and CD Rom drive can't keep up with a high speed link to begin with.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
I'm refering to audio formats. iPod's tiny display is not suitable for video, nor is Jukebox's.

Btw, I would think it would be USB 2.0, call Dell and ask since I'm not quite sure about the interface and OS support.

Kairyu

speedy digital tablet artist
Years
Vito Winstrate said:
AAC: MPEG4 Quality
Curiously, is the Dell Jukebox compatible with Macs?
WMA is a format only Windows users can create. AAC is a cross-platform (and QuickTime usable) and it's done in .m4a format. (mpeg4aac)
What connection does the Dell Jukebox use? Have they licensed Firewire? Apple will probably be using Firewire 800 format. For Windows it's Firewire and USB 2.0.
It can be, but its the software that needs to be compatible with mac. So, no I don't it would work. Besides I think the Dell Jukebox only uses usb 2.0, no firewire connection in there

A little side note, my comp stats:
Pentium? 4 Processor with HT Technology 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB 512KB Cache
Desktop Board D875PBZ - Intel 875P Motherboard
1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 2 x 512MB Module
GeForce? FX 5950 Ultra 256MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video
120GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Serial ATA 7,200 RPM 8MB Cache
Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW
Samsung 52x24x52x16x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS - 7.1
NEC 19" MultiSync FE991SB Flat CRT
Creative MegaWorks THX 2.1 250D speakers

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Vito Winstrate said:
Wow! A good machine you have there.

AAC has an advantage over MP3 at filesize, but I can't test WMA without Windows Media Player itself (I can use Virtual PC though).

You could read what MS says about it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/codecs/audio.aspx

And look... uh... listen to their audio quality demos:

http://windowsmedia.com/9series/DemoCenter/AudioQuality.asp#

The quality of 20kbps MP3s is pathetic... 20kbps WMA quality is superb. I can barely tell a difference from the source.

Btw, I compared a few WMAs to the MP3s from MS's site and the MP3s are smaller... From what they said, I thought WMA was supposed to offer better compression. I guess they meant it is an excellent mix of compression and quality. I wonder if the Dell Jukebox can save at 64kbps.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Microsoft offered to allow 3rd parties use the Windows Media codecs with their software for I think it was 25 cents an installation. Meaning linux/macintosh software can support it as long as MS is payed 25 cents per a download.

jbritz22

Former-Pokemon Fanatic
Years
LoL, I guess I should post my specs here huh? Well here goes nothing...

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE
OS Service Pack None
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
Computer Name OEMCOMPUTER

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium III, 600 MHz (6 x 100)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX/ZX
System Memory 256 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (06/07/00)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
3D Accelerator nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64
Monitor Super VGA 1280x1024

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Cirrus Logic CS4281 Audio Accelerator

Storage:
Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
Disk Drive hpz
Disk Drive IEEE-1284.4 Compatible WDM Mass Storage Device (HPH11)
Disk Drive IEEE-1284.4 IOS Port Driver (HPH11)
Optical Drive HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-5000 (8x/40x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8525B (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 19452 MB (8376 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse A4Tech PS/2 Port Wheel Mouse

Network:
Primary IP Address [EDIT] Shouldnt have ip address on here lol. [/EDIT]
Primary MAC Address 00-50-FC-21-E5-67
Network Adapter PPP Adapter.
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (207.195.109.102)
Modem Lucent Win Modem

Peripherals:
Printer hp photosmart 7350 series
Printer Visioneer Color
Printer Visioneer
USB Device photosmart 7350

And best of all, I can run freelancer at high settings, 1024x768 and get good gameplay. And same with jedi academy, except I have to run that at a lower resolution.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
I think since we have a computer forum now, it's largely unnecessary. This thread was mostly discussing specs and OS news, both of which could have their own topic in the new forum. ^_^;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back