• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

battle backgrounds. good or bad?

flamemaster

No school like the old school
Years
  • MI
  • Seen Mar 23, 2016
don't know if i should post this here but what the hey.

hello, my name is flamemaster, if you've been around game development a lot, then you probably know that most creators of games, are making more realistic battle backgrounds, unlike the nintendo one's that show no detail.
i was one who also though these custom backgrounds were the way to go, but ive encounterd a problem...
ffewsc.png

credits to kyledove, for the background, i do not own it.

i bet you can see the problem to. when seeing this, most players would be like "how the hell can charmander breathe under water??!?!? and how can his flame keep going?!?"
while i do agree that more detailed battle bg's are nice, they add complications that i would rather not have. i know see that nintendo's less detailed backgrounds were made to avoid this, and a question is brewing in my mind.
are these new backgrounds really the way to go?
you decide.
flamemaster~

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Posting Kyledove's battle backgrounds without permission is frowned upon. Generally, anyone's work.

Personally, with credits and reference as a topic, it is not too big of a deal. Should still ask for his permission.

That aside, really I can see where you are coming from, but even playing the original game, players are not dumb. In the official games, when you are diving and you end up in a battle and send out a Charmander, the same question almost just as easily arises.

Personally, I like the detailed backgrounds, even with the small hiccups.

Years
The last time I asked kyle if I could use his battle backgrounds he said this:

"I'm sorry but no. None of my battle backgrounds are for public use, they are private to my game as I want it to look original among others."

So I don't know if you have permission to use this or not?

But back on the topic, it would take simple editing to take out the bubbles.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Personally, with credits and reference as a topic, it is not too big of a deal. Should still ask for his permission.

That aside, really I can see where you are coming from, but even playing the original game, players are not dumb. In the official games, when you are diving and you end up in a battle and send out a Charmander, the same question almost just as easily arises.

Personally, I like the detailed backgrounds, even with the small hiccups.

yeah but with nintendo's backgrounds you dont pay it no mind, but with a battle background of a underwater cavern like above you tend to notice it more, and actually think about it, yeah sure you may have thought about it when playing pokemon sapphire if your a stickler for details, but if your like most you didn't even pay it no mind.

The last time I asked kyle if I could use his battle backgrounds he said this:

"I'm sorry but no. None of my battle backgrounds are for public use, they are private to my game as I want it to look original among others."

So I don't know if you have permission to use this or not?

But back on the topic, it would take simple editing to take out the bubbles.

This is because you asked to use it, the OP never said this is his work or design he just used kyle's bg for reference probably cause its the only one he could find at the time. im sure kyle doesnt mind its more advertising for him, and credits were given even if not orginally given and obviously kyle released the image thats how he got it so its no big deal..

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Pokémon involves so much suspension of disbelief anyway that it's not really a big deal that using background imagery means that strange situations occur.

Hell, this comes up all the time in the Stadium series of games but you just gotta shrug it off because sometimes cartoon animal games do silly things.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Pokémon involves so much suspension of disbelief anyway that it's not really a big deal that using background imagery means that strange situations occur.

Hell, this comes up all the time in the Stadium series of games but you just gotta shrug it off because sometimes cartoon animal games do silly things.

FTW!

Now days I think the 'new' feeling to such aesthetically pleasing additions often override what nonsense may arise from such an addition. It really also has no effect on game play other then eye candy.

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
FTW!

Now days I think the 'new' feeling to such aesthetically pleasing additions often override what nonsense may arise from such an addition. It really also has no effect on game play other then eye candy.
This man speaks the truth.
If illogical things like fire underwater pose a problem... YOU'RE PLAYING THE WRONG GAME.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
The player diving is in itself strange, because the player can't breathe underwater either (unless Pokéverse humans are different like that). One could therefore suggest that the action of diving has the Pokémon create a bubble around itself, using the move's ability to manipulate the flow of water, and the diving and any battles therein are conducted in that bubble. Therefore it makes sense.

You could certainly raise questions such as "how much air is in that bubble?", but they can be ignored. The "biggie" of underwater exploration in the first place has been explained away, and anything else is just "because it is".

If anyone wants to use that as an explanation in their games, go ahead.

Back