• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon DarkViolet (Full Version Released)

Years
I like how the HP Bar and how the Pokedex has 210 Pokemon like how Pokemon Platinum's has. I also like the edited music and how it feels like a 4th/5th generation Pokemon game. I like how the move graphics look and how the tiles look. This is a great ROM Hack to look forward to, it's kind of like a preview of what the next beta of Azure Horizons will be like since it has some of those things. Will there by day and night in game also?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Here's a map of Pewter City, to show that I've done more work lol:
http://i48.tinypic.com/sdcrv6.png

Blaine

I always used to think there was a Bug Trainer where that girl is in the originals, I think there was one in GSC though right?
Yeah there was a Bug Catcher in G/S/C/HG/SS, but there won't be in DarkViolet because you just fought a whole bunch in Viridian Forest, and you're probably paralyzed from Thunder-Waving Pichus and poisoned from Poison-Stinging Weedles.

I like how the HP Bar and how the Pokedex has 210 Pokemon like how Pokemon Platinum's has. I also like the edited music and how it feels like a 4th/5th generation Pokemon game. I like how the move graphics look and how the tiles look. This is a great ROM Hack to look forward to, it's kind of like a preview of what the next beta of Azure Horizons will be like since it has some of those things. Will there by day and night in game also?
No, there will not be day and night. It is completely unnecessary, and one of the main aspects of this game is to that it is readily available to play on actual hardware through a flashcart, hence why there is no day/night features. Every feature of this game will work on actual hardware without RTC.

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
Dyam dat Pewter City!

Little quip

Those white things, aren't they for docks, I thought they were what you would tie a ship to in piers, hence why they were on docks?

Unless they are awesome rock sculptures of mushrooms?

I'm also noticing there is a lack of a second door into the Museum? Is there going to be an event in game that will get us our Old Amber? (like TR is trying to steal some Fossils, we save museum, rewarded with sap?)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Dyam dat Pewter City!

Little quip

Those white things, aren't they for docks, I thought they were what you would tie a ship to in piers, hence why they were on docks?

Unless they are awesome rock sculptures of mushrooms?

I'm also noticing there is a lack of a second door into the Museum? Is there going to be an event in game that will get us our Old Amber? (like TR is trying to steal some Fossils, we save museum, rewarded with sap?)
The white things are in HG/SS, so I included them.

And you can still get the Old Amber, I'm coming up with a new interior layout of the museum. The first floor will be similar to HG/SS, but unlike HG/SS there will also be a second floor and stuff.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Looks like I'm looking at Pewter City from HGSS.
Obviously, without the mart.
I'm a bit suspicous about no second door on the museum. The whole idea was the cut bush allowed you to go in the secret entrance, not sure how you'll be pulling it off inside the museum itself.
EDIT: Also, my friend asks, Are you a one man team? If so, this is very impressive to do alone.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I'm a bit suspicous about no second door on the museum. The whole idea was the cut bush allowed you to go in the secret entrance, not sure how you'll be pulling it off inside the museum itself.
That's just one of the things that will come with me basing my maps off of HG/SS. And it really doesn't matter because you're supposed to play this game as if you've never played a Pokemon game before, and this is just some random RPG on the Game Boy Advance that you decided to pick up.

EDIT: Also, my friend asks, Are you a one man team? If so, this is very impressive to do alone.
Yes, I am the sole worker on this hack. However, all the Pokemon sprites are a separate project entirely with several other contributors (the 64x64 DS Sprite Project), and several aspects were made by other people for public use, such as DoesntKnowHowToPlay's Physical/Special split, or Jambo51's numerous ASM routines.

EDIT: Just to let you guys know, I am getting increasingly frustrated with the limitations of FireRed's Pokedex... Even though I've extended the Kanto Dex to show up to 210, the save menu still only shows up to 151, and the Habitat Selections screens only show the first 151 Pokemon in the new Kanto dex, and if you try and catch a Pokemon that's number is higher than 151, it's entry won't show up upon capture. I've been working all morning to try and find these limiters, but I'm having no success at all.

Last edited:

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
In the top right corner of Pewter, what's the purpose of the one way ledge? You can get to both sides easily. Wouldn't a second one way ledge below it make whatever's going to be there a little harder to get?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
As a way of "fixing" the Habitat issue that I described in the edit of my previous post, I came up with this solution:
1rpuac.png

yes I know, cheap solution, removing the habitats entirely lol

I basically somehow found part of the routine that loads the positions, and then I screwed around in VBA's memory viewer. Right now National Mode is enabled, if I left it disabled, then there wouldn't be 2 entries for the Seen/Caught thing (which is what I would prefer). The only problem is, whenever you catch a Pokemon that's Pokedex number is higher than 151, then its dex entry won't show up upon capture, EXCEPT if you have the National Dex enabled. I am trying to figure out how to make the entry show upon capture for Pokemon that's dex number is higher than 151.

The positioning of everything in the screenshot is WIP. It is not a mockup, I achieved it by changing values in VBA's memory viewer, which can then be easily replicated in a hex editor as a permanent change to the ROM.

This change has not yet been done to the actual ROM, as I said I achieved this with just by screwing around with VBA's memory viewer.

In the top right corner of Pewter, what's the purpose of the one way ledge? You can get to both sides easily. Wouldn't a second one way ledge below it make whatever's going to be there a little harder to get?
That's just how the HG/SS map is.

Years
I had a similar problem with the Pokedex in my own hack. Luckily someone posted this:
ShyRayq10 said:
This hack is great, but, when you see a Pokemon that is after 151, it doesn't count towards the "Seen" count in the Pokedex. To fix this, go to 0x104BF2 and change the 0x96 to 0xF8.
(Although for you it would be changed to 0xD3) Hope this helps!

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I had a similar problem with the Pokedex in my own hack. Luckily someone posted this: (Although for you it would be changed to 0xD3) Hope this helps!
That's not the problem I was having, and I already applied that change a long time ago (it's even in the alpha).

The problem I'm having is at the end of a wild Pokemon battle, when you capture the Pokemon, it immediately takes you to its dex entry if you haven't caught it yet. The problem is that it doesn't show the entry if the Pokemon's dex number is over 151, except if you enable the National Dex.

Years
Whoops my bad. Although I used a hex editor on DarkViolet and compared it to my hack in which the Pokedex works and you need to change the x97's at x106B8C and x106828 to the number you want (D2 for you). This should make it work (although Oak's Aide's still only count the original 151 but if you're completely redoing everything, that probably won't be a problem)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Whoops my bad. Although I used a hex editor on DarkViolet and compared it to my hack in which the Pokedex works and you need to change the x97's at x106B8C and x106828 to the number you want (D2 for you). This should make it work (although Oak's Aide's still only count the original 151 but if you're completely redoing everything, that probably won't be a problem)
Thank you! That solves the Habitat problem and the capture problem. However there's one more problem:

Even though the Kanto Dex has been extended to 210:
28c34md.png

These areas still only show up to 151:
2najxnb.png

24eyse1.png

I do appreciate your help, although I kinda feel bad that I can't figure this stuff out on my own. But I do know that the Pokedex routine starts at 0x103518, so it's just a matter of finding 0x96 and 0x97 bytes and changing them to 0xD1 or 0xD2.

I don't care about Oak's Aide at all, since I'm placing a significantly less emphasis on Pokedex completion on DarkViolet, and more of an emphasis on defeating Gym Leaders. Hence why Oak no longer checks your Pokedex (for anyone that bothered to talk to him in the alpha), but instead he checks your Badges. Oak's assistants will just give you the items for free in DarkViolet.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
Why does he check for badges? Anyways...

I would help you if you'd like, it's been a lot longer since working on Gen 3 hacks as opposed to gen 2 but I understand scripting(well I remember a lot of it depsite not scripting for a long time, though I can handle XSE well).

It's just, I really want this hack to be finished lol

A suggestion. Is it possible for you to make it like B/W where instead of showing how many pokemon you caught, it goes by how many you've seen? I'm sure it is. And a new trainer card would be nice...

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Why does he check for badges? Anyways...
Because
I'm placing a significantly less emphasis on Pokedex completion on DarkViolet, and more of an emphasis on defeating Gym Leaders. Hence why Oak no longer checks your Pokedex
And also to avoid this scenario:
Oak: "Congratulations! You've completed the Kanto Pokedex!"
Red: "But...but...I haven't completed up to 210 yet. I've only done 157..."
Oak: "SHUTUP YOU COMPLETED THE KANTO POKEDEX END OF STORY"

Yes, it could be fixed with ASM, but I really don't think it's that important, and I'm horrible at finding ASM routines used by the game.

I would help you if you'd like, it's been a lot longer since working on Gen 3 hacks as opposed to gen 2 but I understand scripting(well I remember a lot of it depsite not scripting for a long time, though I can handle XSE well).

It's just, I really want this hack to be finished lol
Sorry but I don't need any help with scripting. I've already written out the dialogue of the major events for the entire game, and I have a document keeping track of what variables/flags I've used and how they will be used in the future.

A suggestion. Is it possible for you to make it like B/W where instead of showing how many pokemon you caught, it goes by how many you've seen? I'm sure it is.
Yeah it's possible, since Jambo51 posted how in the R/D thread. But there's other issues with the Pokedex I need to take care of first.

Years
I do appreciate your help, although I kinda feel bad that I can't figure this stuff out on my own. But I do know that the Pokedex routine starts at 0x103518, so it's just a matter of finding 0x96 and 0x97 bytes and changing them to 0xD1 or 0xD2.
I didn't figure it out on my own either, if that helps you feel any better. DoesntKnowHowToPlay posted it over at the Nuzlocke Forums and I simply used that information to help you.

Anyways, this is looking even better than ever and I can't wait for the next release.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
is there a full version yet?
No, and there probably won't be for another year lol.

I'm planning on Beta 1 to go up to Silph Co. and the 7th Badge (remember, Blaine is now the 8th Gym), and Beta 2 will contain the whole game, and then a final release after that which will be exactly the same as Beta 2 but with bug-fixes and potential spelling-error fixing.

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
On that note, about how far in are you currently? Not pressing or anything, just curious.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
On that note, about how far in are you currently? Not pressing or anything, just curious.

Hopefully at least in Cerulean.
Sorry to crush your hopes, but I'm still at Pewter City. Right now DarkViolet is on a small hiatus while I work on the 64x64 DS Sprite Project (which will be used by DarkViolet, so in a way, working on the sprite project is the same thing as working on DarkViolet).

EDIT: Also, I am going to make a legitimate effort to fully learn ASM, and my goal is for this game to have at least 1 ASM routine made completely by me.

EDIT: Good news! I have now fixed all Pokedex-related issues!
1534m6r.png
sdz60i.png

I'm not going to describe in-detail how I fixed the trainer card & save screen issue, but I can happily claim that I did this all by myself!

Last edited:
Back