• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Funimation VS Crunchyroll

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
Hi !

I want to subscribe to one of those sites. For now I might be going with Crunchyroll.

Is anyone here who are subscribed to those sites? What are the feedback? Do you have a preference?

Years
I don't use streaming services for anime but I do believe Crunchyroll has by far the larger library of shows plus more new stuff each season.

Think you also get manga and Asian dramas on Crunchy so it would be my choice.

Just torrent stuff

Years
Crunchyroll has the bigger library, because it has most (but not all) of the subs from Funi's library and then subs from other distributors as well as what they've got the rights to themselves, but Funi's library has dramatically more dubs. Really depends on how you prefer to watch.

Also, Funi's player is more stable but Crunchy's is better on colors and controls. Though I legit only watch anime using the apps for the PS3, Xbox One, and Android, so I have no idea how good or bad their web client players are.

Also Crunchy's simulpub manga library is practically worth the sub on its own.

Last edited:
Years
I only recently bought a Funimation subscription that I only seldom use to keep up with a certain amount of shows. They have what is called "simuldub" which is when they release episodes in English on the same day or a little bit after it was released in Japan. I know Boku no Hero Academia was one show that had this release style.

However, if you enjoy watching in Japanese and don't mind subtitles, then go with Crunchyroll. Else, if it needs to be in English and you don't want to watch in Japanese, go with Funimation.

Years
I only recently bought a Funimation subscription that I only seldom use to keep up with a certain amount of shows. They have what is called "simuldub" which is when they release episodes in English on the same day or a little bit after it was released in Japan. I know Boku no Hero Academia was one show that had this release style.

However, if you enjoy watching in Japanese and don't mind subtitles, then go with Crunchyroll. Else, if it needs to be in English and you don't want to watch in Japanese, go with Funimation.

Okay, so, I want to clarify what a simuldub is, because a show getting released with a dub on the same day it aired in Japan, or even a few days after, is extremely rare (only show that comes to mind is Space Dandy). A "simuldub" usually has three or four weeks of delay because of how the production process of anime works where license holders may only get the show from the studio a week before it airs (hell, there have been a couple of shows where the license holder only got the show the day it was going to air on Japanese TV), which leaves limited time to dub the series. The reason it's called a simuldub is that before they started working on these, it could be up to a year before a seasonal series got a dubbed version, where with the simuldubs the delay was dramatically shorter and much closer to the seasonal schedule, hence "Simuldub", because realistically dubbing is a

Just wanted to clarify things on that so people don't go into simuldubs expecting to be current with what's airing in Japan or even what's available subtitled.

Years
Okay, so, I want to clarify what a simuldub is, because a show getting released with a dub on the same day it aired in Japan, or even a few days after, is extremely rare (only show that comes to mind is Space Dandy). A "simuldub" usually has three or four weeks of delay because of how the production process of anime works where license holders may only get the show from the studio a week before it airs (hell, there have been a couple of shows where the license holder only got the show the day it was going to air on Japanese TV), which leaves limited time to dub the series. The reason it's called a simuldub is that before they started working on these, it could be up to a year before a seasonal series got a dubbed version, where with the simuldubs the delay was dramatically shorter and much closer to the seasonal schedule, hence "Simuldub", because realistically dubbing is a

Just wanted to clarify things on that so people don't go into simuldubs expecting to be current with what's airing in Japan or even what's available subtitled.
My bad. Kinda doesn't help though that Funimation doesn't list release dates on their site...or if they do I'm blind and don't see them.

Back